Did the Bible really predict or say anything of substance?

by moshe 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moshe
    moshe

I often read comments like this about the Bible here:

Well, the bible is the only source we have for guidance and direction. If you read it you will know that such knowledge and wisdom could not have originated with man because more times than none, man acts in opposition to what is written in the bible.

It also foretells the future. Geologic evidence coincides with biblical accounts. World history also coincides with biblical accounts. Things written in the bible were written before they actually occurred; hance a book of prophecy was given to humans in order to build faith while Gods Will takes place.

Of all the things the Bible could have predicted and God is said to have seen coming in the future, the Bible did not mention just one of them to prove beyond a doubt it was inspired by God. Well, I have asked myself why the Bible didn't predict the Internet? Or the telegraph, or radio/TV or even electricity? It didn't predict modern vaccines and antibiotics which have eliminated the past pandemics and scourges like the black death of Europe and smallpox that wiped out whole civilizations, or X-rays or atomic energy or landing a man on the moon. People see what they want to see in the Bible. And what about the Bible being the only source of guidance and wisdom? I am sure glad we don't have to depend on the Bible as our only source for our system of laws- anyone for a return to "eye for an eye" laws? I could start a dozen topics from this one comment.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Well, I have asked myself why the Bible didn't predict the Internet? Or the telegraph, or radio/TV or even electricity? It didn't predict modern vaccines and antibiotics which have eliminated the past pandemics and scourges like the black death of Europe and smallpox that wiped out whole civilizations, or X-rays or atomic energy or landing a man on the moon. People see what they want to see in the Bible.

You are mistaken. Some prophecies cannot be fulfilled without the INTERNET or modern inventions like the TV. Cases in point:

Christ is supposed to appear like LIGHTENING!! That means a bright flash from coast to coast but for a short time!!! How is that fulfilled. How can the anointed see the messiah over a wide area but for a short period? TELEVISION!! The messiah will appear on television!! He will do a cameo spot, just a few minutes on national television. All the anointed who are tuned in can see him. From coast to coast! But just for a few minutes. Thus that is how that is fulfilled!!!

Or, there is the passage where when the messiah arrives he has to preach in the "broad ways" of those who will get to know him personally, like him personally, but will not really take him seriously at first and reject him. Then when the door is closed and/or it is clear that Armageddon is coming, they will them scamble to try and get into the kingdom and remind him of his relationship with them previously.

How does that work. How does the messiah come and "teach in their broad ways"?

Luke 13: 25 when once the householder has got up and locked the door, and YOU start to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Sir, open to us.’ But in answer he will say to YOU , ‘I do not know where YOU are from.’ 26 Then YOU will start saying, ‘We ate and drank in front of you, and you taught in our broad ways. 27 But he will speak and say to YOU , ‘I do not know where YOU are from. Get away from me, all YOU workers of unrighteousness!’ 28 There is where [ YOUR ] weeping and the gnashing of [ YOUR ] teeth will be..."

When Christ arrives he teaches in some type of public forum where people will get to know him personally, but reject him as the messiah. They like him but don't take him seriously! That is fulfilled by these DISCUSSION BOARDS!!! People think I'm funny and are nice enough to suggest I need medical help. Which I guess means they think I'm not lying purposefully. They believe I believe what I'm saying, but I must be deluded. So really the folks are basically quite nice. So that's fulfilled. I'm the messiah and they get to know me personally at some level. That's possible because of the INTERNET!!!

So contextually, television and the internet were indeed anticipated by the Bible!!! I was seen like LIGHTENING from coast to coast, but only with a flash, when I appeared on national television on 20/20 or on the Gong Show once, which apparently was syndicated worldwide at the time.... So indeed, like "lightening" I appeared from coast to coast but only for a short flash. Any of the anointed who knew who I was, by holy spirit could have tuned in and seen me. Otherwise, the messiah has a private life.

So really, some modern inventions, specifically the TV and the internet are absolutely included in Bible prophecy.

JC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If we relied on the Bible for guidance, some would be polygamists with slaves and concubines.
    Genocide would be an alright thing, murder is wrong unless it is done in the name of God.
    Laws to love your parents are unnecessary. This comes naturally.
    Love, in general, will never come from a commandment. It comes naturally or from forming a bond.
    The guidance of the Bible to "love" are found elsewhere.

Much of the regulations of the Old Testament are ridiculous and extreme. Many lead to killing the
    rule-breaker. That's not better justice than most of the world has. Jehovah was jealous, angry,
    vindictive, murderous, regretful that He made mankind.

Take one person as an example. King David.
    Jehovah killed seventy thousand Jews because David took a census.
    David's family didn't know peace because David wasn't satisfied with all of his wives. He had to
    steal Uriah's wife (Bathsheba) and eventually have him killed to cover his tracks. Even though
    a year passed and David did not admit any wrongdoing, a prophet approached David and
    told him of God's anger but David was so repentant suddenly when he was caught that God
    forgave him, passing on sentence to his family.
    During King David's reign, Jehovah punished the people with a famine for three years because
    King Saul had done bad, so Jehovah already set a precident that Kings can get away with things.

(2 Samuel 21:1) Now there came to be a famine in the days of David for
    three years, year after year; and David proceeded to consult the face of
    Jehovah. Then Jehovah said: "Upon Saul and upon his house there is
    bloodguilt, because he put the Gib´e·on·ites to death.. . .

When David was old and near death, they got a young virgin girl to lie down with him to
    "keep him warm." (It's good to be king.)

Examine the entire OT and find some good guidance. Go ahead. There's some nice Psalms
    and Proverbs. They have some nice sayings, but they are not practical life guidance.

Jesus said the law was summed up in two commandments about Love. Again, do we need that?
    Are you going to love God because it is a commandment?

Prophecy- You brought it up, so I feel free to speculate on this. Most scholars of the Bible (those
    who actually studied and learned stuff unlike the WTS scholars) believe that ALL prophecies were
    written AFTER the event they prophecy. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Sure, you can say that they have no faith, therefore they would say that. If faith requires one to
    believe that the Bible was written before it's prophecies, then they claim that prophecies are a proof
    of God's authorship (or guidance of authorship) there's a problem.

Even the last days prophecies are so vague. We have always had war and pestilence and famine and
    false prophets and the like.

• moshe
    moshe

Sorry J-C, but your comment is a perfect example of people reading into the Bible what they want to see. Lightning and TV are not even in the same category- one is destructive and the other is creative. Which one is Jesus? The NT scripture mentions rumors and wars during the endtimes- unfortunately for the Bible the telegraph, then radio, then TV and finally spy satellites have eliminated all the rumors about war in the world. Crazy 'ol Pastor Russell said that the sewing machine was proof of the end times, too. Imagine that!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well, I have asked myself why the Bible didn't predict the Internet? Or the telegraph, or radio/TV or even electricity? It didn't predict modern vaccines and antibiotics which have eliminated the past pandemics and scourges like the black death of Europe and smallpox that wiped out whole civilizations, or X-rays or atomic energy or landing a man on the moon.

I don't think any of those details has anything to do with the main purpose of the Bible. I thought you had converted to Judaism?

People see what they want to see in the Bible.

Indeed. We have seen the Bible twisted to justify just about anything. It has always been like this. Peter wrote of Paul's letters:

He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

For me, this passage is substantial.

Isaiah 52

13 See, my servant will act wisely ;
    he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
    14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him—
    his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
    and his form marred beyond human likeness—

15 so will he sprinkle many nations,
    and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
    For what they were not told, they will see,
    and what they have not heard, they will understand.

Isaiah 53

1 Who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
    He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by men,
    a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
    Like one from whom men hide their faces
    he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he took up our infirmities
    and carried our sorrows,
    yet we considered him stricken by God,
    smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to his own way;
    and the LORD has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
    he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression [a] and judgment he was taken away.
    And who can speak of his descendants?
    For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was stricken. [b]

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
    though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the LORD makes [c] his life a guilt offering,
    he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
    and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
    he will see the light of life [d] and be satisfied [e] ;
    by his knowledge [f] my righteous servant will justify many,
    and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, [g]
    and he will divide the spoils with the strong, [h]
    because he poured out his life unto death,
    and was numbered with the transgressors.
    For he bore the sin of many,
    and made intercession for the transgressors.

Burn

• real one
    real one

The Bible is God's inspired word and therefore it is Holy and Sacred. It helps me live my life to the fullest!

• moshe
    moshe
    I thought you had converted to Judaism?

Why, yes I did, BTS- The guys wearing the black hats don't speak for the majority of Jews, however.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why, yes I did, BTS- The guys wearing the black hats don't speak for the majority of Jews, however.

Are you an ethnic Jew?

May I ask you what you believe?

If this is too much of a digression from the thread topic please feel free to refuse.

Burn

• moshe
    moshe
    The Bible is God's inspired word and therefore it is Holy and Sacred

All of it? Which one of the three signs hanging on Jesus' cross has the correct wording? Surely, God could have made sure that only version would have made it into the Biblical canon. He either couldn't inspire the writers or didn't care- which one was it? Then we have to consider Biblical inerrancy, too.

• moshe
    moshe

Are you an ethnic Jew?

May I ask you what you believe?

No- unless you could go back far enough to consider my semitic dna. Time for you, BTS to do some research on your own as to what Jews believe and what religious label they might accept for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit