My Introduction

by bgurl81 30 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi there bgirl - this is a great forum, so many suppotive people, so many with a huge amount of knowledge that you will find really helpful, a lot of sincere people. Everyone has their own beliefs and freedom to worship or not and most are accepting of that!

It's awesome to be free, really free from all the crap that JWs load on us. I'm sorry about the way you were treated.....that really irks me... Pioneers were supposed to be "looked after" because they devoted more time to serving Jehovah, but I know even in our congregation they found it hard to get lifts, find people to work with...but not as bad as your experience.

Welcome.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Welcome to Thunderdome! No one here will judge you really.

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

Welcome and Hello,

I can somewhat relate to your story, except that I would be on the other foot of the issue with your husband. Its been going on a year since iv been out, but my wife has been out going on 6 or 7 years. She like you has never looked back and picked up the "worldly celebrations" with joy as she has extended family that was never "in". I on the other hand cant seem to get my mind around being able to celebrate birthdays and stuff. I dont care how many people tell me its ok, I still cant get myself to do it. But, I think iv come to the conclusion that its not that I think its so wrong, its that I just dont care. I could care less about havin a birthday party or gettin a christmas present. Its never been apart of my life, so for me why should I try to throw it in there. Maybe thats how your husband feels as well. I would suggest maybe instead of havin a birthday party with presents. Just make it a special weekend and hang out with friends.

As for moving on in religion. Again, I would say I am in the same boat as he is in. As a dub your are taught that this is the truth the whole truth and nothin but the truth. When you start to have doubts, the cards start to fall and you think if this was THE religion and now its now then nothing must be, but a little peice of you still tries to hold on that everything you were taught was right. At least thats the way I feel.

Wish I could offer more assistance, but, just letting you know, his situation is not untypical.

Welcome again

Tbob

• Ruth Eeker
    Ruth Eeker

Welcome to the board. This board has been a haven to say the least.

This board has people who are in the same boat as you and who understand the Org's lingo
    which is such a relief and great thing.

This board can help keep you sane or at least know that you are NOT insane or alone. hehe

Take care.

Luv,
    Ruth

• bgurl81
    bgurl81

I am SO sorry about the double posting and the LONG paragraph. I actually separated my paragraphs but somehow they all merged together. I had no idea I posted twice.

Anyway. I am not all that resentful about my upbringing. Not anymore at least. I've come to have peace with my experiences and have forgiven those that hurt me. Now I am simply researching. I have concluded that I strongly disagree with their beliefs, but I still want solid facts to back up WHY I strongly disagree.

For a short while, I was studying other religions. I took a course in World's Religions and even "studied" with a non-denominational Pastor of a local Church. I made the decision that organized religion is not for me. Then I started doing more research and now I have questions as to whether or not "God" (as I have come to know him as) really exists and if the bible is even accurate. My instincts are telling very loudly, "NO!" This all happened after I read the book, "The Secret" and then many similar books thereafter. I also watched this film that referenced a book called, "The Pagan Christ" and now I am in heading in a completely different direction. It's a hard and somewhat complicating process that I am going through, but oddly enough, I am the HAPPIEST I have ever been in my whole entire life. Additionally, my relationship with my husband is the best I think it's ever been, my family is functioning better than before, I am closer to my extended family, and my friendships are stronger and more fulfilling. It's really quite amazing how making these "bad choices" (according to the religion) can bring me much more peace, happiness, joy, love, and contentment within myself, my marriage, my family, my friendships, and my life.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you. I am trying to find some people in my area (Phoenix) but there aren't many on the meetup website (yet).

All is well.

B

• MsBHaving
    MsBHaving

Welcome bgurl81. I come from time to time to this site and have found it very encouraging. Many have similar experiences to you. Just read away, post to your hearts desire. You will survive

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Welcome bgurl,

You will enjoy it here, I hope. You are not alone.

Quirky1

• mind my own
    mind my own

Welcome!! Thanks for sharing your story, you will find many people here who can relate! Look forward to hearing more from you.

MMO

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    And you too, Awakened at Gilead!

Thanks Sue... I'll be posting more introduction and including a tell-all about Gilead soon...

AaG

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Welcome, bgurl,Awakened and Ruth,

bgurl,

My heart feels your pain in the treatment you have received. To be rejected by people whom you have loved, who you thought loved you. It is so hard to find this reality in the organization. I find it hard to believe that when you try so hard, when you need them the most, that you are rejected, but I know that it is true. So many have gone through this and it seems to be predictable about how you will be treated if you are a single mother. I have seen it and heard it so many times.

The God that the Watchtower portrays, I have come to know is not the God that I experience every day. I do see how many who have been treated so badly by the organization that claims they are God's exclusive organization can turn away from God. I understand your feelings about organized religion also. We belonged to 3 different churches after we left the WT and found them to be similarly structured. The churches are all the same. I believe that God wants to be worshipped personally and not through religion. Since I invited Jesus into my life and depend on Him to guide me, my life has been happier and more peaceful. If He is our Father then we do not have to go to a place where there are hundreds of people to find Him. He is as close as a prayer. We do not have to have rituals and formal songs and long prayers to reach Him. We can talk to Him as we would a friend.

I see God as a part of the universe and in everything that He created. I believe that many things in the Bible has been misinterpreted. Some of the things that are in there I do not understand. But I know that God loves us and wants the best for us.

No matter what you believe, I hope that you and your family will remain united in love. Do things that bring you together, whatever that may be. Both you and your husband may have to compromise in this, but it is worth it.

I am praying that you find your way.

Awakened

said: When my elders asked me where will I go (the typical question), I responded that I didn't know, but I was going to find out. "What if you don't find the truth?" they asked, obviously appalled... I simply replied, that I will enjoy the journey.

We were asked that question too by the elders that disfellowshipped us. The question is not WHERE will be go, it is WHO will we go to. The answer is Jesus. John 14:6 I do not think that the "truth" is in any religion, but only in Him.

bgurl said:

I made the decision that organized religion is not for me. Then I started doing more research and now I have questions as to whether or not "God" (as I have come to know him as) really exists and if the bible is even accurate. My instincts are telling very loudly, "NO!" This all happened after I read the book, "The Secret"

My husband and I found out that organized religion was not for us either. The God Jehovah of the Watchtower is not the God that we have found. God is too big to be confined to one religion. He is the creator of the universe and loves all his creatures.

I am so glad you all found this site. You will be challenged. I hope you will keep an open mind and prove all things for yourselves.

Love and hugs,

Velta

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit