Shropshire Star news editor examines issues behind death of JW Emma Gough

by AndersonsInfo 85 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I don't mind respectfully agreeing to disagree but believe me it wasn't all fun and games for me leaving (not as difficult as for most). All of my immediate family are in the org and I was raised in it. There has been pressure on my family to ostracize me. I understand the whole mental abuse and so on. I was never claiming that it wasn't bad...just that it clearly was not as bad as the Jones case which you were trying to draw a comparison to. The majority of people are mislead because they allow it, it is not forced upon them.

Obviously some are going to be more susceptible to fear and thus more likely to be controlled, but if there is no physical abuse present they can as tough as it may be, be able to get up and just walk out. Either way if someone is fine with the decision and has heard the information from the other side it is their choice to foolishly keep on in what they are doing. I feel this is a right.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Andersoninfo quoted:

The Bible might have incited wars, inquisitions and stake-burnings but had caused no harm to those needing life-saving blood transfusions during two world wars. In 1945, though, the faith’s handbook The Watchtower - under the editorship of one Nathan Homer Norr - carried the line “the stranger was forbidden to eat or drink blood, whether by transfusion or by the mouth”.

And that was it. In 64 years since, Jehovah’s Witnesses have bled to death for their faith. Little children have died on operating tables while their parents stood by and quoted scriptures. The wider world has looked on with a mixture of horror, pity, anger and incredulity.

The Old Testament books of Genesis and Leviticus and the New Testament Acts of the Apostles have now led to a young Shropshire woman, with everything to live for, making the ultimate sacrifice. It is inconceivable that Jehovah’s Witnesses - Christians who believe in love and mercy - would want this.

Perhaps, in the wake of Emma’s death, the faith’s leaders could now spearhead a doctrinal debate on the issue.

After all, the scriptures also advocate animal sacrifice and no one practises that any more. If we can jetison The Bible to spare the lives of lambs and kids, why not humans?

As the book of Revelations says: “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain.”

Perhaps, in the wake of Emma’s death, the faith’s leaders could now spearhead a doctrinal debate on the issue.

Fat Chance of a debate on doctrine.

Uninformed

• sf
    sf

Despite all the mental cruelty, people are free to leave and they don't even have to do Judicial Committees if they really do not wish to(all they have to say is F.U. when elders come knocking).

Agreed.

The majority of people are mislead because they allow it,it is not forced upon them.

Fully concur.

When's it going to stop you ask? When the people who should be [ active jws on this site] shouting out all they know that is fraudulent about this organization, actually DO. And don't just talk and gripe about it.

sKally

• besty
    besty

HI Burger Time

perhaps you may wish to address my specific question to you please:

What of the kids right to have a mother?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    We certainly wouldn't 'fight to the death' to allow such a person to commit suicide. We'd fight to the death to drag them OFF the railway line before the train hit.

i wouldnt drag them off.

i would have tried to reason with them prior to their making this decision..i would have offered help and discussed whether this extreme course was really the way they wanted to go...but ultimately it is their choice.

and i wouldn't be wanting anyone dragging me off if i had decided that i wanted to die.

• BFD
    BFD

More blood guilt. People make the oddest choices. Can't stop that.

BFD

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    Yet in Mexico - they let their same members sign a political party card as it was advantageous to the Watchtower society to get preaching done down there.

For what it is worth, this statement is untrue. The issue in Mexico was concerning the men who registered for the draft, which were required to complete a certain amount of military training. The Witnesses were bribing the officials to sign off on their weekly attendance to the training when they were, in fact, not attending.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Sorry for not answering your question Betsy. Anyways that is a good question. My personal belief is that these kids are not going with out a family, just a loving mother. Again it's the mother's choice, I see it no differantly then a mother giving a child up for adoption if she can not take care of it. Accept in this case the mother is choosing to not accept special treatment. Hopefully at some point the children will at least acknowledge the fact that it was her choice, while at the same time probably never understanding that choice. Again all of this is just myopinion.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

SF said: When's it going to stop you ask? When the people who should be [ active jws on this site] shouting out all they know that is fraudulent about this organization, actually DO. And don't just talk and gripe about it. sKally

I 100% agree.

• besty
    besty
    My personal belief is that these kids are not going with out a family

If you have children yourself Burger Time you will acknowledge the role a mother plays with newborn children. I would say the main role of the rest of the family, husband, in-laws etc is to support the mother whilst she 'mothers' the infants. You'll recall that fathering a child describes a different stage in the process :-)

just a loving mother

Just, just a loving a mother. Come on. No further comment from me neccessary. See above.

Again it's the mother's choice,

So the mother makes the perfectly natural decison to bring children onto the planet and before they can finish drawing their first breath she makes the choice to fatally remove herself from them. Doesn't sound like a normal, rational choice that someone in a fit state of mind would make. Commiting medical suicide after giving birth doesn't feel right to me somehow. So what we have here is someone in a very vulnerable position and without question in a high-control group making an irrational decision. I put it to you that she has stolen something from her children. She has taken a 'choice' from a list of options that should never have included suicide.

I see it no differantly then a mother giving a child up for adoption if she can not take care of it.

Specious comparison. In the adoption case the mother recognises her limitations and tries to do what she can to better the life prospects of her child. In this case the mother has 'thought' only of her 'religion' to the detriment of the children. She was perfectly capable of taking care of the children. That much is sure. How about comparing it to a mother who commits suicide for religious reasons straight after giving birth? As for her so-called religious beliefs - resurrections and the like are kinda hard to come by these days. Never seen one yet. Not even on Fox.

in this case the mother is choosing to not accept special treatment

Incorrect. The mother refused to accept normal treatment. The special alternative proposed by the WTS (Factor VII) is dangerous and possibly innapropriate.

Hopefully at some point the children will at least acknowledge the fact that it was her choice, while at the same time probably never understanding that choice.

My pioint is that she stole a 'choice' that was never open to her. The childs right to a mother supercedes her 'right' to commit suicide. Thats why smoking is banned in pubs. Yes, people are free to kill themselves with tobacco, but the right of pub staff to work in non-carcinogenic air is greater. With rights come repsonsibilities and in this case the repsonsibilities to the children have been superceded by a mind-control sect with death-dealing interpretations of Jewish dietary laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit