Jehovah's Witnesses can celebrate Christmas now!

by sacolton 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

... birthdays too!

Well, not yet, but if the Governing Body decides that it's okay to celebrate Christmas and Birthdays ...

how do you suppose the typical JW would feel ... especially those who lived their whole life being told to not celebrate and

wishing they could?

Do you think the average JW would say, "What?!! No way!" or just suddenly accept it and applaud?

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

It will never happen.

• Layla33
    Layla33

... birthdays too!

Well, not yet, but if the Governing Body decides that it's okay to celebrate Christmas and Birthdays ...

how do you suppose the typical JW would feel ... especially those who lived their whole life being told to not celebrate and

wishing they could?

Do you think the average JW would say, "What?!! No way!" or just suddenly accept it and applaud?

They routinely keep falling for the Armaggedon is around the corner, completely accepted the 1975 "explanation". Accepted the The UN hypocrisy, the blood debacle hook, line and sinker ; if some very zealous "spiritual" brother came up with very emotional and supposedly NEWFOUND (jw's favorite coined term) understanding, why wouldn't they?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I think at least 70% of jw's would welcome the idea, yet the old timer diehards would be shocked and repelled by it.

Those with family and teenagers maybe would not go full fledged but a few gifts and try to fit in with the norm. Any new light from the Gb

is excepted instantaneously anyway by the publishers so they would just go mindlessly ahead. Or as they say "Just go along with it."

The older ones are quickly passing off the scene therefore their influence is quickly diminishing.

hope4others

• choosing life
    choosing life

They quit celebrating holidays and birthdays when they were told to and they would likewise start again if told it was "new light".

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Okay, I'll play (I do fall into the it'll never happen crowd, too though).

My mom would call me to ask me to install lights on her house. When I question her about why it's okay to celebrate now, she would give me a blank stare or a puzzled look and say, "What are you talking about, we could always celebrate Christmas. Don't you remember all the great presentswe gave you and parties we went to in December?"

Anybody read Orwell's Animal Farm? My mom is the hard working big strong horse with a really baaaad memory.

• sacolton
    sacolton
    They quit celebrating holidays and birthdays when they were told to and they would likewise start again if told it was "new light".

YES! Exactly! If the Governing Body presented "New Light" that it was okay - they wouldn't question it.

Well, maybe "What should I get my parents for Christmas/Birthday?"

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

i agree it will never happen because:

1. not celebrating marks them as separate
    from the world.

2. keeping attention off the self

3. pagan origins

4. keeps witnesses in the "feeling persecuted"
    therefore must be the truth mode.

• blondie
    blondie

If the WTS/FDS/GB says it, there may be a little cognitive dissonance but they will cave in. Just substitute birthday or Christmas for these flipflops:

*** g02 6/8 p. 24 Let’s Have a Hawaiian Luau ***Although the luau may originally have had some connection with false religious practices, the word has simply come to refer to a Hawaiian banquet. Many Christians may therefore conscientiously feel that they can participate.

*** g03 9/22 pp. 23-24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition ***

The Piñata Today

Later, the piñata became part of the festivities of the posadas during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star-shaped piñata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the piñata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties. Indeed, piñatas have become so traditionally Mexican that Mexico even exports them to other countries.

We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun. In fact, piñatas are used in Mexico on many festive occasions, not just for the posadas or for birthdays. And piñatas can be purchased in many forms other than the traditional star shape. They are sometimes made to resemble animals, flowers, clowns.

When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."—1 Corinthians 10:24.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Bad thread title but their policies' chnge are not hypothetical. Beyond meaningless celebrations, you have prohibition reversals of tissue transplants, blood fractions and vaccinations. How many lives this cult stole? Did they apologize or even compensate surviving relatives?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit