It's on in Murieta.

by pseattle2 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Could this be used a legal precedent to sue or at the very least have a lawyer present at a JC? IF it is indeed deemed a fact finding mission it would seem you could legally sue if they didn't find the "facts".

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    Could this be used a legal precedent to sue or at the very least have a lawyer present at a JC? IF it is indeed deemed a fact finding mission it would seem you could legally sue if they didn't find the "facts".

Unfortunately the courts have always been hands-off when it comes to allowing legal representatives in religious judiciaries. They're very reticent to intrude there. The standards for slander or libel are pretty high. I can't think of any ex-JWs who have prevailed in those areas. If this case has any effect on WTS policy, my guess is that'll be a restructuring of the JC to reinforce the confidentiality for the legal issues. Whatever they do, it will not be in the name of increasing the elders' transparency or responsiblity. Keep in mind it's not the WT on trial here; it's a human being about whom they have private knowledge. They can't buy their way out of this one. And they can't impose silence. So it definitely will have some kind of precedent, if the appellate courts continue to reject the JW's efforts to hide their testimony.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I can't wait to see the outcome of this trial. I hope it damages the bOrg's reputation in some way..

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The trial isn't stalled, though; the appellate court refused to stop it.

Interesting that the defense deferred their opening statements until they present their case. If the appellate court refused to stop the trial I don't see how a higher court would.

Ok...so what I want to understand is, do these motions--by their nature--stall the process in any way? Is there a time limit for the defense, i.e., "You have 3 months to make your motions"?

• yknot
    yknot

The usually cry of clergy privilege first, then later when the victims sue the Elders for not reporting they will file a no fiduciary responsibility argument.

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

I cant imagine defending a molester,no amount of money could help me sleep at night

• dust
  • pseattle2
    pseattle2

Thanks, Dust.

I'm actually impressed that the elders testified as they did.

Wonder if they'll get DF'd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit