It's on in Murieta.

by pseattle2 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Source: http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_webtestify.23d1b64.html

Appellate court denies request to intervene in molestation case

An appellate court today denied a request to intervene in the case of a Jehovah's Witness facing child molestation charges.

The Fourth Appellate District Division Two declined a defense petition requesting they stop Gilbert Simental's trial to address a superior court judge's ruling that orders elders from a Jehovah's Witness congregation to testify.

The Murrieta man's lawyers Thursday asked the court to overturn Riverside County Superior Court Judge F. Paul Dickerson's decision ordering the congregation leaders to testify about admissions Simental reportedly made during an inquiry into reports of child molestation.

"We are disappointed that they did not grant the stay and decide the issue," defense attorney Miles Clark said this morning.

Prosecutor Burke Strunsky declined comment.

Clark said he will ask another court to hear the defense petition and hopes to file paperwork with the appropriate court later this week.

Simental, 49, is charged with molesting two of his daughter's friends during sleepovers at his home from July 2005 to July 2006, court records indicate. The girls were ages 9 and 10 at the time and are sisters, court records show.

As a practice, The Press-Enterprise does not publish the names of those who are believed to have been victims of sexual abuse.

Simental's lawyers contend the state is depriving elders and its members of the right to keep these statements confidential while giving it to others who engage in one-on-one confessions or counseling with clergy, according to court papers filed with the appellate court.

In the Simental case, three elders formed a judicial committee to look into a report that two girls were molested.

Simental and Elders Andrew Sinay and John Vaughn all believed their conversations were confidential. They were made during judicial committee formed in response to allegations of child sex abuse, Clark has said.

In his ruling, Judge Dickerson said having three elders involved made this judicial committee a fact-finding body not concerned with maintaining confidentiality.

When someone is removed from the Jehovah's Witnesses, notes from a judicial committee meeting including admissions are passed on to another committee tasked with handling the appeal. The elders must send paperwork explaining evidence presented to the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in New York after the person is dismissed.

Opening statements are expected later today in Simental's trial at the Southwest Justice Center in French Valley.

--Tammy McCoy

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Another article from the same writer: http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_sfaith08.3cd3b29.html

Murrieta man's molestation trial begins after attempt to halt it fails

A Murrieta man's trial on molestation charges began Monday after an appellate court declined his request to halt it and rule on whether two Jehovah's Witnesses' elders could be required to testify.

In opening statements, a prosecutor told jurors the man touched girls during his daughter's sleepover party in Murrieta.

"The defendant Gilbert Simental fondled three separate girls by exploiting the innocent trust of his own daughter's slumber party," prosecutor Burke Strunsky told the jury.

Simental, 49, is charged with molesting two of his daughter's friends at his home from July 2005 to July 2006. The girls, who are sisters, were ages 9 and 10 at the time, the prosecutor said.

The Press-Enterprise does not publish the names of minors who are believed to have been victims of sexual abuse.

Simental is charged in a separate case with molesting another girl. That case is awaiting trial at the Southwest Justice Center in French Valley.

Defense attorney Miles Clark chose to reserve his opening statement until the defense begins its case.

Strunsky's opening statement came hours after learning that an appellate court declined to hear a defense petition requesting it stop the trial to address a ruling by Riverside County Superior Court Judge F. Paul Dickerson.

Dickerson has ordered elders from Simental's Jehovah's Witnesses congregation to testify about statements Simental reportedly made to them during an inquiry into child molestation allegations.

... (edited out part already reported in above story)....

Strunsky, the prosecutor, declined to comment on the appellate court's ruling.

However, during Strunsky's opening statement, he told jurors that elders from Simental's Jehovah's Witnesses congregation would testify.

Simental told the elders that he molested the girls, Strunsky said.

"You are going to see in this case three very, very brave little girls," he said. "They have no reason to make this up."

The trial is scheduled to resume Wednesday at the Southwest Justice Center.

If convicted of all charges, Simental faces 45 years to life in prison. He is free on $1 million bail.

• DJK
    DJK
    "You are going to see in this case three very, very brave little girls," he said. "They have no reason to make this up."

I hope the jury considers what they dont see...the little girls who haven't come forward.

• Quandary
    Quandary

BTTT

• Quandary
    Quandary

BTTT

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Are any of the abuse support groups (ie: SilentLambs) attending this?

-Aude.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Clark said he will ask another court to hear the defense petition and hopes to file paperwork with the appropriate court later this week.

Geez, how long can this clown keep stalling for the perv???

I'm glad to see this one struck down. I really wish I knew more about these defense motions. I hope he can't stall the trial any more.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Geez, how long can this clown keep stalling for the perv???

I'm glad to see this one struck down. I really wish I knew more about these defense motions. I hope he can't stall the trial any more.

The trial isn't stalled, though; the appellate court refused to stop it.

Interesting that the defense deferred their opening statements until they present their case. If the appellate court refused to stop the trial I don't see how a higher court would.

(Quandry: thanks.)

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    Are any of the abuse support groups (ie: SilentLambs) attending this?

Their budget may not afford the travel/lodging/etc. I hope the Press-Enterprise updates the trial more frequently now that it's begun but I haven't checked yet today.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I hope they nail his balls to a set of bars for a very long time, but as the justice system goes he will probably get a couple of years which is nothing more than a slap on the hand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit