Be Fair = Witnesses are NOT a cult!! What about Christians or democracy?

by Witness 007 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

People like to throw around the Cult word when describing the Watchtower society. But look at the definition of "cult" and you will see it applies to any system of thought concieved by an individual or group to control others. Are christians a Jesus cult...yes. Communism a Marxist cult...democracy a Bush cult........look at the definition of cult it APPLIES TO ALL RELIGION AND POLITICS AND SCHOOLS OF THINKING. To say something is a Cult is implying that YOU have the truth and THEY are a cult....this is why I don't use the term for Jehovah's Witnesses, much as I do hate their wrong thinking.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I have to take exception to "democracy a Bush cult."

Come on!! Bush might be part of an anti-democracy cult....

S4

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are cult features in many walks of life. When I say "WTS is a cult" what I really mean and
    usually remember to say, but sometimes forget is that "WTS is a dangerous mind-control cult."

It's tough when even us who are aware of the problem could argue over semantics.

Don't let the WTS divide and conquer us.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I suspect that political parties are cultic.

S

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower Corporation manages the Jehovah's Witness cult religion!

• minimus
    minimus

I believe many religions and government parties are cultish. But clearly, JWs are a cult. To say otherwise suggests ignorance.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    look at the definition of cult it APPLIES TO ALL RELIGION AND POLITICS AND SCHOOLS OF THINKING.

The WT has often referred to all Christian religions as "the Cults of Christendom" This includes all mainstream churches such as the Roman Catholics.

They like to use the label as a smear tactic against religions other than themselves.

They are quick to whine and complain when the same label is applied to them.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I use the word "cult" in reference to JW's because it creates the right mental picture in people's heads. They think of a cult as something that takes over people's lives. Being a Catholic doesn't take over your life, nor does being of a political persuasion.

The subject of whether they are a cult, and whether or not other organizations are cults, is debatable -- agreed. But my use of the word is not for linguistic accuracy, but for properly portraying my experience to those I meet.

Dave of the "former cult-member" class

• Poztate
    Poztate
    To say something is a Cult is implying that YOU have the truth and THEY are a cult....

This is EXACTLY what JW's do to all other religions.

They are quick to point out the perceived flaws in others without admitting they are no better.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The point with the JWs and other like minded totalitarian organisations is that they (in the name of religion) seek to rigorously control the lives of their members at a personal level to exert intimate tight control in other words, something which is not found in most of the places that you mentioned. Mainstream Christian religions today and democratic political parties clearly do not act in that way constantly trying to induce fear and guilt in their followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit