I WAS INTERVIEWED ON TELEVISION...

by snowbird 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

On Monday night, April 1, 2008.

The occasion was a parents' meeting to determine what is to be done with two elementary schools that have been determined by the State of Alabama to be substandard. My ten-year old granddaughter attends one of those schools.

The superintendent of schools is wanting to close those schools and bus the kids 3-4 miles to a new school that was built in 1999. The enrollment at that school has dropped sharply due to the razing of a housing project nearby. He was at the meeting to assure us that it is a cost-saving measure and that he feels his solution is best.

Well, some parents and grandparents goaded on by some teachers, gave the supt a hard time. They accused him of conspiring to "displace" the children and being insensitive to the needs of the community. They were quite vocal and emotional; one woman broke down and sobbed inconsolably.

I was asked by the TV newswoman if I had any objections to appearing on the local news and airing my views. I replied in the negative. She asked my opionion on the matter. I stated that I had no problem with his proposal as long as the kids continued to receive a quality education.

They're all doing well at their old school, and I believe they'll do even better at the new school because it's so spacious, airy, and well-lit. Well, my statements were taken out of context by some and I've been getting the cold shoulder from the principal and assistant principal. I don't really care about myself - I'm just hoping my granddaughter won't suffer from the backlash.

Isn't it amazing how some will turn on you simply because you dare to have an opinion that goes against the popular view?

I've been reviewing Ben Stein's EXPELLED - NO INTELLIGENCE ALLOWED, and I'm struck by the similarity to my experience.

Sylvia

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Congratulations on getting out there and saying what you think.

I know I had an unpopular view of the war over Kuwait and Iraq.
    Funny how many agree with the unpopular view after trillions of dollars
    and thousands of lives were lost.

They may come around to seeing that the important thing is the benefits
    to the children.

• snowbird
    snowbird

They may come around to seeing that the important thing is the benefits
    to the children.

I hope so.

The thing that gets to me is that some tried to turn it into a racial issue. Fact is, all involved are Black - except the superintendent!

Crazy!

Sylvia

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Welcome to the world of petty local politics.

• dinah
    dinah

When I saw the thread title I was afraid you were describing that the tornado sounded like.

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I saw the thread title I was afraid you were describing that the tornado sounded like.

I would have been too shaken.

Sylvia

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Isn't it amazing how some will turn on you simply because you dare to have an opinion that goes against the popular view?

That happens here, too, but that's THEIR problem.

At least you didn't "go along, to get along".

You should feel proud you voiced your opinion.

Warlock

• Satanus
    Satanus

Change, any changes, tend to upset people, no matter that they are improvements.

S

• snowbird
    snowbird

You should feel proud you voiced your opinion.

Warlock

I am proud. There were a few who privately told me they felt the same way.

Change, any changes, tend to upset people, no matter that they are improvements.

S

You're so right about that. In hindsight, I think tensions were so high due to the emotionally-charged presidential race. Understanding is everything.

Sylvia

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Sylvia

Good for you in standing up for your views and your grandaughter's school

As for those giving you the cold sholder why not try and clear thiings up by explaining that you were taken out of context?

Regards

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit