announcement

by isaacaustin 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Sir 82 you say the society will pay for transport? Not what we were told. Not what we voted on. They wanted $ where i'm at! Curious. (Eyebrows raised.)

• sir82
    sir82
    congregations are being asked $375 apiece to pay for it.

Actually, the rate is "15 cents per publisher per month" for a little over a year, which, depending on the size of the congregation, could work out to about $375 total.

I don't know if congregations all over the world are being asked to fund this, or just the US. I would venture a guess that it is just the US, since the majority of missionaries come from the US (the Gilead classes are taught in English only, and only in New York).

If there are about 1 million JWs in the US, that works out to about $150,000 per month, maybe $2 million over the course of the 1+ year of collecting the money. There have been 123 Gilead classes so far (dating back to the 1940's), each with 30-60 graduates.

Just pulling numbers out of thin air, assume 50 graduates per class, for a total of a little over 6000 missionaries trained. Say 1/3 of them are still at it, so 2000 to come home.

$2 million divided by 2000 missionaries works out to about $1000 per missionary for round trip tickets to the US. Of course, the actual numbers may be quite a bit different than my wild estimates, but the scale is probably about right. Say an estimate of $800 to $1200 per missionary.

Given that many of them are in very remote areas, and will return at the peak US travel season (summer), that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Sorry, little profit to be made from this affair.

• sir82
    sir82
    Sir 82 you say the society will pay for transport?

Well, yeah, the Society collects money from the congregations, then uses that money to pay for transportation.

All the money the Society uses for any purpose traces back to the donations that members of the congregation make.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

every few years this happens. It is nothing new. They will be interviewed at DCs etc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit