The "name" Jehovah

by Tino 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Tino
    Tino

Why did Jesus not address the Father as Jehovah?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't push my beliefs on people hard, but you did ask. Here's my take on it.

The Jews really did stop using "Yahweh" (or whatever the pronounciation of the Tetragrammaton was)
    because of superstition about using God's name in vain. Besides, they were not always
    monotheistic people, but Yahweh (their God of war) won out when His priests were allowed
    to rebuild His temple at their release from Babylon. So the people never really took root in saying
    the name of this god. The Jews were barely organized under one religious ideology.

Jesus did not claim to actually have a heavenly existence pre-birth. He was a Jewish man who was
    groomed to be the rebellion leader of the Jews. He didn't use the name "Yahweh" either. He taught his
    Egptian mystic religious ideas and staged a fulfillment of prophecy by riding a donkey into Jerusalem,
    so that he could be the messiah (an anointed king, not the son of God) but things didn't turn out as he
    planned.

Later, Jesus was made into something he was not. When the books were edited, the Romans wanted to
    give the idea that Jesus was God. They couldn't use "Jehovah" and "Lord" and "Jesus" without
    confusing folks, so they didn't use "Jehovah."

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Contemporary Judaism considered it blasphamy to use the name. Of course you are assuming much to say that Jesus was a real man with a father in heaven who ever addressed anyone..

• oompa
    oompa

My simple version is that I have never called my dad Lucas, only Dad, Daddy, and Pop. Also, "Jehovah" is probably no where NEAR close to the way it was said....the four letters were in english YHWH so it was likely yehowah or yahweh, but NOBODY knows........oompa

• dinah
    dinah

What Oompa said. I have never to this day called my Dad by his first name.

• carla
    carla

Aside from it being disrespectful to call your father by his first name........ There is no evidence that jehovah is His name. Any first year Hebrew student can tell you that there is no evidence that His Name is jehovah, could be jihviih, johvovoh, jehevehe, insert any vowel and you are grammatically safe as they had no vowels. There are books and numerous web sites devoted to the tetragramaton, google.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Ditto what everyone else said. I too always found it 'uncomfortable' referrring to my 'Heavenly Father' by (what I believed to be) his Name...if I called my Earthly Father by name, I'd have got a slap, lol.

As I understand, Jews do not attempt to pronounce the Tetragrammaton for fear of blasphemy, as the correct pronounciation has been lost. The name 'Jehovah' was invented in 1270 by a CATHOLIC monk, Raymundus Martini.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

JWs like to ask the question:

"Do you honestly think that when Jesus addressed or spoke of his father he used titles, such as Lord or God?" My response is yes! One of the scenarios where the NWT inserts the name Jehovah in place of Lord is Matt 22:

34 After the Pharisees heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they came together in one group. 35 And one of them, versed in the Law, asked, testing him: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

The religious leaders were very aggressivley trying to nail Jesus on something, anything. Since the uttering of the Divine name was considered blasphemy...had Jesus done so you can be sure they would have jumped on him for this. He silenced them instead. Obviously he did not address the father as Jehovah.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Let's face it. It's just a downright ugly word anyway. Not unlike "colostomy", "panties", "scrotum", etc. I never found the word easy to say, even when I was a dub.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

The Rotherham translation of the Scriptures uses the name Jehovah through the Hebrew text. I have one somewhere. It is huge so I have no idea how I could have misplaced it, so I am not sure if it is in the greek text as well. I find it a bit hypocritical of Rotherham to use The name Jehovah in his translation when the following is in his foreword.....

Dr. J. B. Rotherham states in the preface of his Bible concerning Jehovah: "Erroneously written and pronounced Jehovah, which is merely a combination of the sacred Tetragrammon and the vowels in the Hebrew word for Lord, substituted by the Jews for JHVH, because they shrank from pronouncing The Name, owing to an old misconception of the two passages, Ex. 20:7 and Lev. 24:16...To give the name JHVH the vowels of the word for Lord [Heb. Adonai], is about as hybrid a combination as it would be to spell the name Germany with the vowels in the name Portugal - viz., Gormuna. The monstrous combination Jehovah is not older than about 1520 A.D."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit