How have you (or would you like to) made a positive difference?

by Open mind 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Since leaving the JWs?

I just got done reading the Wikipedia bio of Barack Obama. ( Please let's not go down the side road of what you think of current US presidential candidates. )

It's just one of hundreds of "worldly" bios I've read since having my JW blinders removed.

I can't help but have a few "shoulda, woulda, coulda" thoughts when I read about people who have had the "parental permission" to go out there and take on the world.

I'm just beginning to educate myself about politics. Who knows what the few decades of life I have left have in store?

So.....................

What have you done since leaving the JWs that you feel good about?

Also, if your circumstances are limiting you, what WOULD you do if those circumstances weren't standing in your way?

Let's dream a little on this thread.

OM

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I would have made every party a memorable one for all my kids! They would hav had memeories for life cuz I remember them from dad-days!! Got shot down in flames I'm afraid along with all my inner energies to even think about the idea - weird but inside I got AK'd!

Any who wanted to follow mum (my kids) into JW land could have chosen so! I truly wished her every happiness but no return wishes there folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a reality position before me finance, career and fitness wise at the point of divorce 6yrs ago and before I lost it all - with a few dreams added on - lol dreamy for women I adored!

I would never have said a word against WT ethics!

I would have been in an excellent place financially , fitness wise and healthwise and lifestyle wise!

I would be doing iron man trialthlons!

I would be married to either Lyn ( gorgeous woman I hardly know but another Mel Sykes looker -am I delusional?????????) or Christine (the latter is a pipedream coz she looked so like Mel Sykes and her persona was drool stuff) ! Child sweethearts Kathryn S ,Carol A (amazing female), or a hauliers daughter unnamed - gorgeous!

I once almost mentally dumped my wife to be for a girl named Tracey on my last day of work there coz she nearly made me faint with how she dressed ( I must've said fuck a 1000 times but couldn't let it out I was so oppressed inside! - if you guys saw her you would have said it!!!!!!!!!lolol)

I would be listening to music in my ipod whilst training rather than singing (though I love singing but have no clue about it)!

I would be a male god creature! lol

Ah well! Nature said no!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Crazy - I got hooked on that last post with some very deep lost dreams I used to have - really dreamy like 'if in my dreams' stuff and so impractical - apologies for the crazy post!

They are so crazy cuz I woulda had to have been a different guy!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Wow - am I off tonight?

I thought I read 'in your wildest dreams someplace?

Apologies to Dianne Bury whom I was enchanted by for years and neglected to mention!

And to JWD cuz I've run along a bum thread on wrong idea !

Excuse me - must be an old JW bug I still have a dose of!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If circumstances allowed me to do it, I don't know if I would become an advocate
    against WT like Rick Fearon (sixscreens), or if I would just walk away from all that
    nonsense and seek inner peace. Both avenues are good and bad. Maybe I would
    just work at being the best person I could be and let others tackle the windmills.

Politically involved? I don't know. I have been a JW for so long that I got used to
    shrugging my shoulders when asked my opinion. I guess I could at least know
    what the different platforms are all about, and whether I really have an opinion. I would
    probably advocate for Ralph Nader. Just because he can't win doesn't mean he isn't
    the best candidate for president of the U.S.A. I think I am more against candidates
    than I am for any of them, just like my religious stand.

If you want to make a difference, help needy people and be good to children and animals.
    Do whatever good you like. Donate your time and/or your money if you want to. Or if you
    don't need to feel good that way, then don't do bad things. It ain't so bad being uninvolved
    somewhat.

I think that even when (I don't want to say "if") my wife comes out of WT, I would simply like
    to be a positive asset to the community, and retire to a warmer climate where I don't hurt
    the environment. I would take on small issues like cleaning up dog poop or sweeping the
    street gutters once in a while, enforcing safe parks for children and asking for more money
    for local education. I would advocate for rewarding public servants like teachers and cops and
    firefighters and paramedics instead of giving raises to politicians.

On the national level, I would let Open Mind advise me. Mine is not a dream. It is a reality
    waiting to be realized.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I would like to think I've made a difference in all my years of nursing. I've done alot of volunteer work, mainly with the Red Cross.

I used to work with their trauma unit, and have been to several diasters, including the OKC bombing.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to ruin the Watchtower Society before they have a chance to recapture me, drag me through the Value Destroyer Training School, and use me to start the Second Dark Ages. And then make them pay.

I would also like to do on to God as He has done onto me: anyone that God claims to like rejecting Him unconditionally.

• Open mind
    Open mind

OTWO:

On the national level, I would let Open Mind advise me.

We're all doomed now!

crazyblondeb:

It takes a special kind of person to do what you do.

Much respect to you.

I haven't physically left the JWs yet, but here's what I'm doing right now.

I'm taking more of an interest in politics. I may end up like OTWO and eventually decide it's not worth my effort, but, for now, I'm at least educating myself. Maybe I'll get involved politically on a local level sometime down the road.

Living in the moment. Savoring each memory with my family knowing anyone could get hit by a bus today or I could have the JW equivalent (DFing and/or shunning ) if I'm not careful.

Developing relationships with non-JWs with whom I share common interests.

When the kids are grown, I might complete a college degree. It could be of some small benefit to my career, but I don't have a great interest in that discipline. More likely, I'll take classes in a major that interests me. Something in Liberal Arts.

Technological and/or market driven solutions to environmental issues also interest me. I'll at least continue educating myself in this area and living as sustainably as I can without losing touch with everyday people who are just trying to put food on the table. I've got a healthy, IMO, share of skepticism / realism when it comes to environmental issues.

I'd also like to be an astronaut when I grow up.

OM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit