What survives death?

by JH 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Read "The Denial Of Death" by Ernest Becker. Then read "Searching For Eternity" by Dr. Don Morse. This will give you two opposing conclusions to your question,
    What survives death?

Man has always had and still does have " Death Anxiety" Two camps have always visited this question with opposite conclusions: 1) that life survives the death of the physical body, 2) that death is the end of life, non-existence is to follow.

The thing about life is that one day you'll be dead..David Shields.

Blueblades

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik
    I said, yeah, "I think that when a person dies, the bible says that the spirit goes back to God".

JH,

That is correct. Just what that spirit is we do not know but it is enough to restore us back to ourselves as if we just slept when we are resurrected in the Kingdom.

Joseph

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I used to be quite jw with the thought of life after death, but now I wonder of the possibilities.
    Although the jury is still out me me these thoughts give me much to think about.

According to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, a person who dies simply ceases to exist. He lays unconscious

in the grave until a future resurrection. The Watchtower teaches that a person does not possess an immaterial soul

and/or spirit that survives the death of the body. Using Ecclesiastes 9:5 as their ultimate proof text, “....but as

for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all....”, they fail to understand two things.

Solomon, throughout Ecclesiastes, is contrasting two points of view regarding man‘s dilemma in this world. One

comes from a secular, limited, humanistic view while the other comes from a godly, spiritual outlook. For example,

to accept Ecclesiastes 9:5 as a literal face-value proof text, in order to be consistent, one must also conclude

that all our days on earth are meaningless (9:9) and that "money is the answer for everything" (10:19 NIV).

Obviously, both of these verses, accepted as literal, oppose the overall teaching of God's Word.

Matt 10:28 “And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of

him that can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna” - Jesus makes it crystal clear that it is possible for the

physical body to be killed while the soul continues to live on. Therefore, the soul must not be another name for our

body, but an immaterial part of man that survives after death.

Rev 6:9 “And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those slaughtered because of

the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have” - This one is real apparent. The souls of

those whose bodies have already died are in heaven. It’s obvious that these people are very much alive. Not only are

they in heaven, but they speak. The next verse says that “they cried with a loud voice, saying: ‘Until when,

Sovereign Lord holy and true, are you refraining from judging and avenging our blood upon those who dwell on the

earth?”

John 11:25-26 “Jesus said to her: "I am the resurrection and the life. He that exercises faith in me, even though he

dies, will come to life; and everyone that is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all.”

Acts 7:59 “And they went on casting stones at Stephen as he made appeal and said: ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”

Luke 23:42-43....”Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom.” And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today,

You will be with me in Paradise.” - Let’s see what happens when we move that comma up one word. “....Truly I tell

you, today You will be with me in Paradise”. Wow! What a difference a little comma can make.

This introductory phrase, Truly I tell you, occurs over 70 times in the Gospels. In other sections where this phrase

appears, the New World Translation always places the comma after the word you. This is the only instance where the

Watchtower places the comma in a different location.

I find in comforting to know that there are 2 different ideas of the soul here. One a humanistic view and the other
    a godly spiritualistic view. There are many things to ponder here.

hope4others (and a little thoughts from hubby)

http://www.towertotruth.net/condition_of_the_dead.htm

• Honesty
    Honesty

What's wrong widge y'all?

Don't you know that when you die it's over.

You are done.

Nothing survives.

But...

The Faithful Slave knows what is going to happen.

Their god has taken all of the thoughts, emotions and personality that were uniquely yours and stored them on a mental hard drive.

He is going to make a better physical replica of you than when you were at your best in this system of thangs.

Your male or female replica will be faster, smarter, stronger and better hung than you ever imagined in your wildest dreams.

Then... their god is going to take the software he has saved on his mental hard drive and put it into the body of you that he replicated.

Maybe... if you are very fortunate he may even make two of you so you can have twice as much fun eating big pineapples and playing with large animals in your new bodies.

But... you ain't gonna get to try out all your well endowed body parts because you can't get married and if you ever Four Na Kate the Faithful Slave's god is going to totally annihilate your new body(ies) and wipe his hard drive clean of you.

I can't wait.

Can you?

• PEC
    PEC

Magic underwear.

Philip

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

If there is indeed something that survives the death of our body, I believe this something to be far removed from our conscious personality. As humans, we seem to have access to an intellectual domain where the ego and personality reside, and access to an expreiential domain that some traditions call Being.

It may be that Being is just a subordinate function of mental (brain) reception of the body's physiological processes.

It may be that Being grants some insight into a domain beyond the physical.

If Being is connected to a spiritual context, a "soul" perhaps, then it may be that the soul is a piece of "God" that returns to it when we have no more attachment to it (when we die). We, as an individual entity, may then disappear, or we may find ourselves experiencing our new existence as "God".

Most Christian views seem to say that this soul remains an individual entity after death. We may then conitnue to experience ourselves as an individual creature in a different, spriritual world/context.

I've had experiences that would lead me to see that Being part of me continuing to exist after my physical death, and am open to the possibility that I could go on existing either as an individual, or as part of a larger consciousness, or completely lose my sense of identity except as existing in all things. But I wouldn't expect to think like a human, have access to logic or memory, have my old personality.

I'm just as open to complete non-existence at the time of my death. It's the sort of thing I'll have to wait and see.

I am convinced that I like existing at present.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I really believe the soul does, and our family watches over us from heaven. But the only thing I am positive about is that the memory of them lives on in us.

momz

• Casper
    Casper
    and our family watches over us from heaven

I haven't got a clue, but going along with the above quote....

My first husband was obsessed with what when on after we die. He talked about it all the time.

He promised over and over if there was any way possible to contact me from the other side that he would... that I should watch for it... (no wonder I needed therapy...), after he committed suicide..

I did just that. I watched and I waited. It's been 25 years and nothing. Not one sign. So my guess is .... who the hell knows.

Cas

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I agree with your thought JH - the spirit which belongs to God returns to Him.

The 'soul' is a Greek invention which the early Hebrews/Jews had no concept of.

As for anything else, I have an open mind - although I quite like VoidEaters ideas above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit