What was your first Religious Experience ?

by Casper 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've always been an Atheist, even when I was a JW, so I've never really had a "religious experience"... however the closest thing to a religious experience I have ever had would probably have to be my first bowel movement after hemroid surgery.

• Casper
  • new boy
    new boy

I would have to say the first time I ever had sex on my wedding night.

I kept saying "Oh God...Oh...God..

"What a wonderment".

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Thanks for sharing.....

hope4others

• Gordy
    Gordy

When I was about 8/10 yrs old back in the late 1950's the BBC showed a TV series "Jesus of Nazereth" (no not the Robert Powell one) this was in black and white. This was followed by another series "Saul of Tarsus" about the apostle Paul. All both these programs did was just show Jesus and Pauls life no embellishments like they do today. For some reason they just clicked with me. Since then I had a belief in God.

My parents were not religious, my mother occasionally went to church, very rarely took me. I never knew my father ever go to church.

We didn't do Religious Education at school, it had been sidelined even back then. From 16 yrs, my friends and I used to have long discussions about "God, universe, life etc etc"

I even thought about becoming a minister in Church of England. But then at 20yrs, the JWs came along, introduced to me by one of my friends. Then as they say the rest is history I became a JW for the next 30 years.

Then left, but as I say I left a man-made organisation, not God. I eventually became a Christain and now attend a Pentecostal church.

• Casper
    Casper
    My parents were not religious

Neither were mine, that's why it took me so long to figure it out... then along came the witnesses and I thought I had all the answers,

Silly me...

Cas

• TopHat
    TopHat

My parents were not religious...so a friend of theirs thought I should go to church with them on Sundays. I guess I was all of 4 or 5 years old. It was the Local Southern Baptist church. The ONLY church in the little country town we lived in at the time. I loved "Sunday school" However, the preacher was a total bore and I fell asleep.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Although I was born into Jdubdumb, I can't remember having an "ah ha" moment like the one I had in Kodiak, Alaska at age of 30. I'd been "out" since early in my teens. Had looked high andlow for a "true religion" then gave up. I had been introduced to a new concept of religion and was pretty skeptical. One day I drove up Barrometer Mountain road and got out at the top of the mountain. It was one of those reflective moments all alone in an amazing spot and looking down on the town and seeing the trailer yard where I worked and saw the forty foot cargo vans parked side by side. These were my livelihood, what paid my salary, what gave material satisfaction, if not a lot of frustration, and now they were mere toys. Tiny little boxes hardly the size of a miniture match box. The reality set in that all this was mere childs play and that there had to be something more meaningful than moving freight from point A to point B. It was then I decided to set aside my prejudices and seriously consider the possibility that my life had been shaped by my JW upbringing and it was time to set all assumptions aside and consider new paradigms.. A liberating experiance it was! carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit