To soon to hope?

by Wendy_Warden 17 Replies latest social relationships

• Wendy_Warden
    Wendy_Warden

So yeah--I've been riding the same train of I'm-in-love-with-a-JW for about two years now. I've said in previous posts (posted a long time ago) that he wanted me to convert. He never said so out right but his habit of linking our conversations to the WT convinced me that it was important to him.

Well, I tried to let everything drop for a long time and didn't really keep in contact. However, I find myelf thinking of myself as attached whenever I think of being in a relationship. Maybe it's sad, but I really love this guy deep down. Now the clear headed half of my brain has kept me from doing or saying anything that would compromise my beliefs and I won't do so for him. However, I cannot just say, "He's a JW, too bad." and go on to the next man. I have been praying for him for over a year. I really want to see him saved and delivered from the WT.

This is all very well and good, but for the first time in ages I have some hope. A bunch of us friends went out for breakfast and I brought along one of the members of my family who is a strong Christian and a student of theolgy ( loves to debate in a good friendly way and knows their stuff in a way that I couldn't approuch.) So JW friend brings up his faith mentioning something about the series of talks they're having at the KH. I watch as my family member's ears prick up and they turn to face him (they were sitting beside each other) and they begin a discussion that lasts for 2 hours.

Now I've never see my JW friend discuss religion without getting annoyed and angry because people refuse to be sensable. But my FM was cool and calm and disfused any strong disagreement that might have arisen. When JW brought up every single major dictorine of the WT, my FM carefully navigated around them because they were only going to prove to be a problem. Once a JW gets in a comfort zone than there's nothing you can say to stop them talking. But instead, my FM asked about the basis for salvation. Of course, that is something JW wasn't really acustomed to talking about and so after a long talk they decided that they would really like to get together again and tak about these things. I am the go between.

I felt more hope at this than I have allowed myself in a long, long time. Am I being premature?

• carla
    carla

While there is always hope especially with your informed and calm family member I wouldn't start picking out your wedding dress just yet. I have seen it often, a non jw who in a non confrontational way seems to make headway with a jw and hope rises. The only problem is that most jw's spend literally every other day (and often via phone & email daily) with jw's that anything your family member said is quickly negated. I just hate to see you put your life on hold for a jw who's mind is so far gone. On the other hand your family member may be able to reach him so there is hope. It's a scary thing though, putting your life on hold and hoping maybe, just maybe this next person can reach him and before you know it many years have passed by and you end up resenting the jw for 'wasting' your time and then yourself when you realize you allowed it.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Sounds good you said Am I being premature...All you can do is hope & pray,,, If he has a right heart & doesnt HAVE to be right. He may listen & examine what he is hearing. I do so hope that will be the outcome. Thanks for sharing.

p.s. But if he doesnt want to leave the JW PLEASE try to find another to love. Because if you ever have kids it is truly child abuse. I KNOW because I brought my kids up in it....

• Exterminator
    Exterminator

I've said in previous posts (posted a long time ago) that he wanted me to convert. He never said so out right but his habit of linking our conversations to the WT convinced me that it was important to him.

I really want to see him saved and delivered from the WT.

Your relationship doesn't seem to stand a chance

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I really want to see him saved and delivered from the WT.

And he really wants to see you saved from christendom and delieverd from Armageddon. Since you both want the same for each other, your relationship should work lovely.

• Wendy_Warden
    Wendy_Warden

I'm hardily shopping for a dress. That wasn't what I meant by getting my hopes up.

I do not agree with the last two posters simply because I don't agree that there is no hope. Those of you who have been in the WT might have wished to have someone praying and witnessing to you so you could have left sooner. Whether or not this young man does, I do not feel I can just drop him like a hot potato. I believe the situation is worth fighting for and do not feel that my life is not my own or that I am, in anyway, putting it in hold for him. Some people are won through long, hard labour and I am willing to out that on the table for the sake of this man's soul. We can't just say JWs are a hopless case and leave them there.

Wendy

• Exterminator
    Exterminator

That is fine, Wendy. I wish you to succeed, of course

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Some people are won through long, hard labour and I am willing to out that on the table for the sake of this man's soul. We can't just say JWs are a hopless case and leave them there.

I think you have the wrong attitude here and have just a wee bit of feeling superior. What makes you think that your religion is so much better? Quit worrying about his soul. There's nothing wrong with it.

Also, if you loved him, you wouldn't be trying to change him. You have to love the person warts and all. Sounds to me like you are doing this for Jesus and not for your man.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I know of a woman that met a good man.
    He was what he was. A very good man.
    So she set about trying to change him.
    In her mind, she was "saving" him,
    whenever she set out to change something about him.
    In twenty years, no matter how many things she set out to change
    about him, his beliefs or his behaviours
    she's never been happy.
    And as far as the eye can see,
    neither has he.

• parakeet
    parakeet

"I felt more hope at this than I have allowed myself in a long, long time. Am I being premature?"

Probably. But keep us updated if these discussions continue. You never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit