Do you feel reading through the bible in the past has benefited you at all?

by Hope4Others 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You mean that book full of stock good experiences and prayer answerings you are supposed to plug into your own miserable life and go by the stock experiences? Or, the value destruction and initiatory threats and mayhem that God did? Telling people that they need to make sacrifices, but not telling what rational reason they were necessary? Giving people out of date advice? Holding people back from maximum enjoyment from life?

About the only good thing I got from the Bible was how to tear it apart and throw it back into their faces. The only thing that even sort of makes sense (and then if you do not take it literally) was the direct teachings of Jesus himself. Not the twisted versions (who can provide detailed, accurate accounts like that after more than 20 years? Not me.). Not the pick and choose version that the Catholic church or the apostle Paul selected. Everything else in the Bible is just about worthless at best (unless you view it as a fairy tale), or highly destructive of human happiness at worst.

• oompa
    oompa

Hope4....never played "Tree of Life"....was it a dubya game?..........oompa

love Scrabble and Jeopardy

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Certainly .....Without reading it I would not be familiar with the most influential book in the Western World. It is at least one subject in which i am well grounded ( I am now trying to catch up on other literature that I missed out on)

Somebody said The Bible was "Giving people out of date advice? " - Since when do good principles go out of date? it is the application of those principles by self appointed men, that messes up your life. The Bible is O K.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Since when do good principles go out of date?

What "good principles", like feeling guilt for doing any activity that is supposed to give people pleasure and is not harmful to self or others? Or making sacrifices that merely waste goods? Or going to war to kill anyone that doesn't believe in what you believe in for no other reason? Or trying to pass on the fairy tales as science, holding back real knowledge in the process?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

WT

About the only good thing I got from the Bible was how to tear it apart and throw it back into their faces

Whether you plugged this into your miserable life or not as you said, your knowing what it contains helped you to decide its value for you.

Do you not think you would have looked into some religion if not jw's in your lifetime and still have wondered what the bible was all about?

hope4others

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

oompa,

"....was it a dubya game

No, but it sure was accurate it was like trivial pursuit game. There was a store here years ago that just sold games and I found it there. Lots of dubs

went a bought it because it was so much fun.

hope4others

• real one
    real one

yes, the Bible is the most marvelous book on the plant. as long as it hasent been tampered with like the nwt

• Moxie
    Moxie

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... and that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing.

That said, having to read the bible from a very early age certainly helped to improve my vocabulary....

"Moxie"

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Yes, as soon as I stopped reading the JW Bible and picked up the REAL one....

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

It is truly unfortunate that the bad experiences that many have had while being a JW has also turned them away from the Bible. It is definitely throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The Bible is a collection of writings which prove that man is incapable of governing himself. It is a book which shows the benefits of following the simple rules from the One who created us, and what happens when we don't. It is the book which lays out our eternal hope after we leave this body. Its advice sustains me each day.

What man has done with the Bible for millenia to justify criminal behavior reinforces our need to follow Jesus each day, and not our own selfish pride.

There are so many bitter comments on this site from people burned by the WTS. I used to be a presiding overseer, and now am just a simple Christian without any church affiliation. Jesus' Sermon on the Mount is the basis by which I live. I enjoy studying the Bible with others who feel as I do.

I hope that many here will be able to grow out of the pain that WTS legalism has caused them, and realize that God unconditionally loves each one of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit