The end of the end- your thoughts?

by JimmyPage 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

So what does everyone think of the WT info from the past year comparing the time of the end to Israel's escape from Egypt? It said (paraphrasing):"the WT may even give specific instructions that seem to lead us into the face of danger just as the Israelites were led to the Red Sea with their enemies pursuing them from the other side." Also what do you think of the past two year texts- "Obey God as ruler rather than men" and "Stand firm and see the salvation of Jehovah"?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, I dread the day this cult becomes all Jonestown-like (or is that Jonestown-ish?).
    They will issue forth decrees when they see no way out of abandoning the pretense that
    there is a normalcy to the religion. They are already telling congs. to put their savings into
    The First National Bank of WTS. Many sources say the Governing Body is already in
    upstate NY (just a rumor to me, but could be true) at the compound.

They could make a general panic amongst the faithful and trick them out of all their lifesavings
    because "we really are sure this time." Then after they have the money and members look around
    Patterson to discover the GB has fled to Belize or Saudi Arabia, there will be a magazine with
    the words, "TOLD YA WE WERE NOT PROPHETS!" on the cover. I doubt they will ever make
    the members drink the Kool Aid, but watch the suicide rate.

Or they could get the absolute faithful to move to Patterson and start the compound into the core
    of the new trimmer JW's. While I feel for the ones who go, I could finally get my wife out of that.

What if they basically say that Satan is attacking them through governmental agents, so your
    GB is going into hiding. "Meetings are suspended until further notice. So long and thanks for
    your money, SUCKERS." At least the vast majority would be free then.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I wouldn't 'trust' or 'follow' them for a second!

Outaservice

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

"They are already telling congs. to put their savings into The First National Bank of WTS."

I have heard rumors of this before... That there was a letter to each BOE about it. Is it official?

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

" Now this is not the end.It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ------------ Winston Churchill Nov.1942.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Maybe it's because it's not that long since I went to my last meeting (a couple of years), but I personally can't see anything really dramatic happening with JWs. I believe it's just rhetoric, like they've always used to keep people in line.

How long they can keep that up, and continue to 'kick it up a notch' without anything really happening, I don't know. And I believe that the GB actually believes what they're peddling (at least to an extent), and are becoming nervous because nothing is happening. It's almost like they're being very assertive now in an effort to tell Jehovah "Hey - we're waiting down here - - whenever you're ready!". I believe that's why they have the tract campaigns and the harsh language toward other religions and the political powers - in an effort, I think, to 'kick start' the persecution they're so dependent on. To in effect 'kick start' the great tribulation.

Since it's all bull however, it obviously won't happen. Not supernaturally, at least. And that's where I become a little unsure. Will they in fact become so desperate in the end that they do in fact do something really crazy? I can't bring myself to believe it just now, but down the line - who knows?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I agree with much of what OTWO said. I can see them instructing the r&f to sell their property like the WBTS has in Brooklyn (cue "Valueless Things" WT in April) to fund the last push of the preaching work. I can see them instructing the r&f to do illegal things that will result in thousands being imprisoned and then they will say "look at the persecution, the end is here!" In one way I think they would use moves like this to separate the wheat from the weeds, if you like. Closet apostates are hardly likely to obey.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Hey Jimmy,

Same shit, different year...

Although, I do think that there was a time when they backed up their predictions with somewhat plausible Bible chronology (in the 50s, 60s &. early 70s). With the abandonment of the 1914 generation living to see the GT, that is all gone. Now their arguments are based on a very thin veneer of wishful thinking that barely obscures the fallaciousness of their logic.

Many of the elders I knew when I was still in were very logical in their thinking and I can't help believing that, if those kinds of servants are still on-board, they must be struggling mightily to suppress their doubts about the Borg's claims of being God's channel.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but I really think that the Borg is on the long (maybe, short), slow (maybe, fast) slide down into disintegration. It has happened to other Fundy religions and they are not immune to the effects of the internet and other soures of information that can blow their cover.

All the best to everyone and here's to getting the Led out,

Alex

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

By the way....

Welcome to the JWD, Jimmy.

Alex

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

It's the same old stuff I heard 45 years ago!

Nothing new here - just even less urgency among the frank and file. NO ONE is putting any real stock in this that anything new is happening. My ex-wife is still an active JW, and there is no sense of urgency going on at all.

Same old shit, for sure.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit