I got a jesus question

by lancelink 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lancelink
    lancelink

With the memorial season behind now, there is a question I have that in over 30 years as a jw I never got a solid answer.
    Jesus died for our sins; he was the perfect sacrifice, etc, etc.
    I always heard how tough it must have been for God to watch his only begotten son die the way he did.
    Several times I remember the speaker bringing up the point “how would we as parents feel about watching our children die in front of us?
    ( the Armageddon scenario was used afterwards, make sure you parents are studying with your children to save them!)
    Anyway, I would always think of the point that God controls everything, even a person’s life.
    In fact, he brought Jesus back to life after 3 days, so he had the power to resurrect him.
    My main thought here is, since God had the ability to bring him back,
    would the emotional aspect be somewhat dulled because of him knowing this?

When my kids had to have surgery when they were younger, I was sad and upset,
    but I knew deep down that they would be alright afterwards.
    But if there was going to be no hope, the emotional aspect would have been much, much more intense.
    How do you think God himself dealt with this knowledge about Jesus future?

Do you think mankind has taken the sacrifice of Jesus, and molded it to play more into our emotions?

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Yes, why would he be so sad. God knew the whole plan already. The sacrifice is symbolic among other things.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I think one thing to consider is the selfishness of grieving in death. It's not wrong but it doesn't benefit the departed. The sadness is for us we miss our being with them. When they are in the hospital the sadness is for them, what they are going through, not how it affects us being with them. The grief for someone who is ill is more selfless than the grief over someone who died in my opinion.

Imagine that you are in trouble and you have to call someone to help you. Add to this that you have done things in the past that have constituted yourself an enemy of his. If this person is your average human being the chance of you getting anything from them is slim. Taking the illness like grief and applying it to Christ's death to me maxes out how a person can grieve for another without actually just grieving for their own loss. Jesus had to feel the scourging and the pain as he hung crucified. I think that is the part God would grieve over, not the part where he wasn't feeling any pain that followed. In that instance, the knowledge of the future resurrection wouldn't dull the emotional investment of grieving over the pain Jesus had to endure in the meantime.

I should add to this that I know I can't read the thoughts of God. This is just a thought.

• poppers
    poppers

It never made sense to me that the death of Jesus was a sacrifice because he "resurrected"? Where is the sacrifice? Nothing was lost.

• MOG
    MOG
    It never made sense to me that the death of Jesus was a sacrifice because he "resurrected"? Where is the sacrifice? Nothing was lost.

Jesus death and resurrection is important as a whole. Its to show us that after death that we will have resurrection just like Jesus did.

He pays the price, dies, comes back..Why because he lived for his Father..Just like we should be doing

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

The bigger question is that because of sin isn't this what causes ALL PAIN AND SUFFERING? So how could a perfect being feel pain or sadness? Of course this gets in to the common question of how God could have sinful emotions like anger?

• MOG
    MOG

does the scriptures say anything about Jehovah feeling hurt because Christ died??

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Burger Time:If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend that you read a book entitiled God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Imortant Question - Why WeSuffer, written by Bart Ehrman. This book deals with the issue of theodicy, which is the question of how a supposedly all-powerful and just God can permit the existence of evil and suffering in the world. Ehrman's thesis is that the Bible offers various and conflicting explanantions for the existence of evil in the world. Another book that deals with the same issue from a different perspective is Abraham's Curse by Bruce Chilton.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Burger Time

The bigger question is that because of sin isn't this what causes ALL PAIN AND SUFFERING? So how could a perfect being feel pain or sadness? Of course this gets in to the common question of how God could have sinful emotions like anger?

My thought on this is: We were made in God's image. I believe from what I have read in the Bible, that God grieves over the sins and actions of mankind, however I do not believe that God "grieved" over His son's death, however, I believe that he felt the same as we would over the suffering and pain and death of one of our children, even though I know that they are going to be resurrected. I feel like LayingLow said, I believe God would have felt pain at the way His son was treated and how he was hurt.

Do you think that Jesus felt no pain at his scourging and crucifixion? Pain is built into man's being. It is a protection for him. People who have diabetes, sometimes do not feel pain and can be harmed by this, because they are not aware and do not fix the problem. Do you think he felt no pain at being rejected by his own people? Whether we are perfect or not, I believe we as humans will feel pain.

The Bible does not list "anger" as a sin but only "fits of anger". In Ephesians it indicates that we can be angry and not sin.

Ephesians 4:26: "In your anger do notsin" : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,

Poppers:

To God, human life is precious. My belief is that all Christians who believe in Jesus will be resurrected. When the martyrs were killed, was there no sacrifice? Maybe their sacrifice was not to atone for man's sins, but wasn't there a loss? How can we minimize Jesus' death? His Father sacrificed the time that Jesus would not be with Him. Our son disfellowshipped us for only 15 years, but I felt the loss. If we are made in God's image why would He not feel the same as we do? I believe my son is in heaven, but I am sad that he is no longer here, that I will not see him for a few years.

NotaNess:Yes, why would he be so sad. God knew the whole plan already. The sacrifice is symbolic among other things.

Jesus sacrificed his life twice. He gave up his life in glory with His Father in heaven and then he gave it up again as a human. I am not afraid to die, but giving up this life is a sacrifice, even though I believe I will live forever in heaven. My children and husband will be grieving for me, even though they believe that I am in heaven.

Do you see? Even though Jesus knew that he would be resurrected, he did not want to go through the pain and death, but he did. In Gethsemane he prayed: Luke 22:

41-44: "He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed,"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground."

Sounds like a lot of anguish to me. Sounds like Jesus felt he was making a sacrifice." Jesus was human and if we put ourselves in his position, we will know how he felt. It may have been symbolic, but it involved pain and sacrifice.

This is the way I see it.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Why even consider a supernatural being such as God to have the same or similar emotional makeup as humans have

Man is evil , so is God, put the two together and you have one evil relationship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit