J.W's Forbidden To Use The Word "Lucky"

by Rapunzel 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Velettan: It's unbelievable that the Witnesses should forbid the "faithful" using the words "dime" and "nickel". In fact, the word "dime" - in referring to one tenth (1/10) of a dollar - is not slang at all. The word "dime" is ultimately derived from the Latin word, decimus, which means "one tenth." Etymologically, the word dime is related to decimal and decimate - to reduce to one tenth of the original amount.

In truth, the word "dime" could be slang, if it used to designate a ten-dollar amount. If someone said: "This book was cheap; it only cost me a dime," meaning the book cost ten dollars, then that would be slang. But if they mean ten cents, it's not slang.

As for the word nickel, it refers to the metal from which the coins were originally made. It's not slang either if it refers to a five-cent piece. It's only slang if it refers to a five-dollar amount.

It's amazing how controlling the Witnesses are, to the point that they "micro-manage" every aspect of people's lives down to the level of the words that they are allowed to use.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
  • loosie
    loosie

For this reason my mother didn't allow me eat the cereal "Lucky Charms"

• VM44
    VM44

When was it that the JWs couldn't use the words "dime" and "nickel"? This is news to me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, the hounders in my former congregation forbade the use of "lucky" in favor of "fortunate". The Witchtower publications used "fortunate".

The word "luck" actually means blind chance. If they are using demons to alter it, it is no longer luck. One cannot make one's own luck because luck is unguided blind chance. And I cannot see what is wrong with using it in that sense.

The expression "Good luck" merely means hoping for a favorable outcome in a situation. Which I do not use for those doing field circus, since I want them to have bad luck (not at homes, doors slammed in the face, more time spent at Starbucks than in the territory, emergencies, red lights all the time, getting lost and unable to find house numbers while I shut up and let them pass it, not finishing the campaign in time, etc.). In this sense, it means you wish the person to not choke on a situation, while hoping blind luck is favorable. But, use it in the congregation, and they look at it as if you said a swear word.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Weren't allowed to say "dime?" Are you sure?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

They are not to say the word "wish" either but they all do.

Quirky1

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If they use the word lucky they are supposed to post it on the bulletin board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit