Bible belt in america and the amish?

by chikikie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• chikikie
    chikikie

Hi when I watch tv esp american tv shows about the bible belt and amish communities, just wondered if anyone out there lived near those areas and did you door to door witness and was it easy??

just curious.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I was always jealous of those sorts of places. The big gaps between houses equals more hours and less actual witnessing.

• chikikie
    chikikie

Maybe we dont have any JWs on this site from those areas, heck if its an hour between doors, why would anyone want to leave the JWs, it would be like easy peasy field service

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi Chikkie,

I'm from the Black Belt of Alabama, and door-to-door witnessing was easy for me because people down here love and respect the Bible a great deal. I just couldn't picture these friendly, personable, church-going people being destroyed because they didn't listen to the JW's.

Sylvia

Addendum:

This is from Wikipedia:

Much of the Bible Belt consists of the Southern United States. During the colonial period (1607-1776), the South was a stronghold of the Anglican church. Its transition into a conservative Protestant Bible Belt occurred gradually over the next century, as a series of religious revival movements, many associated with the Baptist denomination, gained great popularity in the region.

The region is usually contrasted with mainstream Protestants and liberal Catholics of the northeast and Great Lakes, the religiously diverse Midwest, the Mormon Corridor in Utah and southern Idaho, and the relatively secularwestern United States. The percentage of non-religious people is the highest in the northwestern state of Washington at 27%, compared to the Bible Belt state of Alabama, where it is 6%. [2]

• chikikie
    chikikie

I suppose thats why they called it 'sweet home alabama'

Anyone witness to a community of Amish or did they scare you off with their pitchforks, I mean it could be worse for us... it must be awful for an amish youngster growing up............

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I lived in Cleveland we had Amish people but they were out in the country an hour away from where I lived. They would hire a person with a van to drive them into the metropolitan area, and then they would build houses. I subcontracted roofing for them. They would use gas powered saws. Any power tools they used were gas powered. They wouldnt use electricity.

My congregation would not have been the congregation to work the amish territory. I lived in a suburban metropolitan area.

I suspect the tv show is sort of giving you missinformation in that I never heard of the northern states, and the regions the amish live in being called the bible belt.

The bible belt would be the states in the south that gave the world George W. Bush.

• chikikie
    chikikie

as usual me confusing, no i meant bible belt witnessing experiences and amish witness experiences, i did not mean that the amish live in the bible belt, lol

• JK666
    JK666

In this area we have clusters of Amish. They are usually very kind and respectful, but not interested. There are special groups that meet for service early in the morning to go to Amish territories.

JK

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I've gone Witnesing in "the outback" yes it can be afew miles between houses and that part is easy....but paying for petrol and losing hub-caps and then driving back to find them is not so very easy...the people are very at peace. It seems a shame to bother them. Instead of talking about war, crime etc which to them means nothing.....we talk about breaking the drought and getting some rain.....Ohhh I'm interested!

• chikikie
    chikikie

I suppose ive had some pretty good answers, I wonder if it would feel like living in paradise if you lived in an Amish community, lloks like paradise when I seen it on the film 'Witness' with harrison ford, im in love with han solo hes so sexy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit