How Important is Ritual in Your Life?

by Dogpatch 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hey gang,

How important is ritual to you?
    Many who leave the watchtower find ritual to be very healing and meaningful in our lives.
    Anyone here found the same to be true?

Randy

from: http://www.barbaramintzer.com/newsletters/april2006.html

The Importance of Ritual in our Lives

My last few Newsletters have focused on dealing with change and transition, and once again, I thank you for your e-mails and feedback. It seems that life is one change after another. Just because we are all dealing with change, this Newsletter will focus on the importance of ritual in our lives as a way to hold on to what is important to us, especially when everything else is changing around us. Rituals are observances we take part in, whether they are observances that bind us to our history and our past, or observances we create to commemorate special occasions or lift up the mundane aspects of our lives to make them special.

April, of course, is a month rich in beautiful ritual. For Christians it is the observance of Easter and the victory of the resurrection of faith over hate, fear and even death. For Jews, it is the observance of Passover, when we rejoice once again at our delivery from slavery and our exodus from Egypt into Sinai. And, on a much smaller scale, I humbly share, is my birthday. What these three events have in common is that they are observed and anticipated each year. Rituals give continuity to life. Rituals observed each year give us occasions to reflect and look forward to. Religious rituals are important because they remind us of our heritage, the people we came from, and the undeniable fact that life goes on, regardless of what happened before us.

As a young Jewish child, I had a lot of conflict around my birthday, as it usually fell during the eight days of Passover, and I could never have a "normal" birthday celebration like all my other friends. Symbolic of Passover is that you do not eat anything made with flour, so I never had the birthday cake I wanted and I always felt my birthday took a back seat to Passover. However, my mother made the compromise. If I would get out of "victim" and fully participate in the religious observance, she would make me my own special cake once the holiday was over. I could invite friends over and we could celebrate then. We could not, however, forget about Passover and just concentrate on my birthday, which was my suggestion (sounded good to me at the time). And I do that to this day. I enjoy the beauty of my religious holiday, then I celebrate my birthday. How ironic, then, that this year my birthday, April 16th, falls out on Easter Sunday right in the middle of Passover. So...I will celebrate them all.

How do you observe ritual in your life? Do you take the time to make your birthday a special day? As I am getting older, I find I do more reflecting than anticipating on my birthday. First of all, I wonder where the years have gone, and why it seems like only two months since my last birthday. I am also feeling a "nudge" from within to do those things that have meaning for me, without worrying who will approve or agree with me. Interestingly, after 23 years of being the instructor, I am finding myself wanting to be a student again. I am carving out some time in my schedule to take some classes and attend some lectures on subjects I find of interest. I love to read, but I find myself always having to read books, articles, etc., that have to do with the talks I give or these Newsletters I write. Two years ago I decided to give myself a birthday present. I bought The DaVinci Code and sat curled up on the couch and could not put the book down. I read late into the night and early the next morning until I finished it. It was pure joy. I did the same thing with another book last year, and will do it again this year. My gift to me, to read a book for the pure enjoyment of reading; it is a ritual I have created that I look forward to every year.

What are some ways you can make ritual an integral part of your life?

Look for the sacred and specialness in everyday events. My assistant knows how I "labor" over these Newsletters, and whenever I finish one for the month, she takes me out to dinner. It gives me something to look forward to, and it also acknowledges that I have accomplished something that deserves recognition. It is a monthly ritual that we both look forward to; a chance to relax and catch up with each other, because we do not do much of it in the office.

A working mom shared a ritual with me that she has devised to set aside special time for each of her two young sons. She does laundry on Monday and Thursday nights. On Monday night, her older son joins her for "folding time" when she and her son fold the clothes and discuss whatever her son wants to discuss. It is his special time with his mom. Her time with him is non-negotiable, not to be interrupted unless there is an emergency. She lets him know that this is HIS time, she is there for him and only him, and it is a special night of bonding. On Thursday night the same ritual takes place, with the same ground rules, for her younger son. She said she looks forward to those two nights more than any other in the week.

A very successful businessman I know has a monthly ritual with his staff. On the last Friday of each month he has lunch ordered in from a different restaurant (each month a different employee chooses the restaurant) and he and his staff have a late lunch and spend that afternoon going over the month. What questions did employees have that were not answered during the month? What were the employees proud of this month, collectively and individually, and what complaints do they have that were not addressed during the month. Also, what are the employees' goals and objectives for the following month. This ritual lets the employees know this one afternoon a month is for them; they are important and what they have to say is important. This businessman tells me he looks forward to this afternoon as much as his employees. He experiences his employees in a more relaxed atmosphere, and he has found over the months that their trust in him has increased and, he believes, their loyalty to him and his business is greater.

Find some ways you can put ritual into your life. Find an occasion to celebrate, and then celebrate it, be it once a week, once a month, or once a year. Create your own ritual to make someone feel special, personally or professionally. We live in such an impersonal world today, with technology getting all the attention, we need to create those rituals that bring people together again. If you have created a ritual that has worked for you either personally or professionally, I would be delighted if you would share it with me and, with your permission, the rest of our readers. My wish for all my readers is for a joyous holiday, whichever one you celebrate.

• compound complex
    compound complex

to do those things that have meaning for me, without worrying
    who will approve or agree with me.

Likewise ... I used to be such a people-pleaser! What a relief
    not to feel the need to ask permission ...

I bought The DaVinci Code and sat curled up on the couch and could
    not put the book down. I read late into the night and early the next morning
    until I finished it. It was pure joy. I did the same thing with another book last year,
    and will do it again this year. My gift to me, to read a book for the pure enjoyment
    of reading; it is a ritual I have created that I look forward to every year.

When housesitting a couple years ago I saw THE DAVINCI CODE on a shelf and
    had an experience similar to yours: I stayed with that book almost literally till I had
    completed it (about two days). My ritual is the same as yours, but I have to shut down the PC!

Thanks, Randy!

CoCo

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I perform a ritual every day. I get up, shower, shave, brush my teeth, drink my coffee, take my vitamins, feed the dogs, feed the fish, smoke 3 cigarettes make the bed, start the dishwasher and go to work. Not necessarily in that order, but that's my ritual.

My daily constitution calls at some point during all of that.

It's very important to me that I do this every day.

NMG

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Greetings CoCo.

NMG

• Satanus
    Satanus

I know that rituals are important. The wt destroys traditional nonwt rituals, and replaces them w mind numbing organizational ones. I like slow mornings w a coffee, a good breakfast, and a dump (hey, i'm an earthy taurus;)). In the summer time, i often watch the sun go down over the river. If there are good colors, it makes my day.

S

• NanaR
    NanaR

Randy:

How important is ritual to you?
    Many who leave the watchtower find ritual to be very healing and meaningful in our lives.
    Anyone here found the same to be true?

I have found ritual to be very comforting. I am newly Catholic, and I love the wonderful prayers and rituals of the Church, many of which are very ancient.

The article you posted is very interesting ;-) I have also enjoyed reading some of Thomas Howard's writing on the subject.

Pax,

Ruth

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If ritual is routine, then I have one, get up and go to work come home eat, sleep go to the gym and do it all over again.

As far as religious rituals, I dont have any nowadays. Up till 5 years ago, I used to read my bible everyday and for periods that was comforting. I ritualistically read it so many times that it started sinking in and it was ingrained in me all of the things that just aint so, all of the errors and contradictions.

But until I made that observation. I would read the bible everyday, because when I was childlike, it was very comforting.

Now my new ritual is comming here. Ritualistically reading the bible plus coming here and taking in some other info has lead me to the world of agnosticism.

Thats where I believe everyone is, except the atheist and the religious fantatics havent realized that they dont know yet.

When I was a pioneering JW, I was an agnostic. I just didnt know, I didnt know and I called myself religious.

I could just as easily say I am an atheist, I have read Darwin and Dawkins but since I am 55 years old, I'll just stay in the middle and say I dont know. Sort of an insurance policy.

• atpeace
    atpeace

i like this topic alot! i'm not sure if this is exactly the same thing, but all the years growing up in a jw family - i longed for holidays because of the family aspect to it. now that my husband and i are out, there is nothing more than i enjoy than a big dinner at holiday time (really anytime :), with friends. i have expressed a stong desire that when we have our own family we create rituals - like sunday dinners and birthday parties.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I have a ritual where I play the same damn Playstaion 1 game over and over at least once a day even though I always reach the end....why don't I want a new game??.......is there something wrong with me?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Rituals can be as simple, as when two people meet, they have a special series of handshakes, exchange of greetings, having meals or drinks together. Their purpose is bonding and reaffirming bonds. Father son/daughter, mother son/daughter rituals are very important for that reason. Rituals get people in the right mind frames for whatever purpose/action.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit