A couple questions for atheists on Suffering

by little_Socrates 102 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• never a jw
    never a jw

Regarding the OP question.

Suffering, deep suffering, is to know that a large percentage (40 to 50% or something like that) of the U.S. population in the XXI century still believe in the literal interpretation of the creation account. My 29 year old nephew just wrote in an email : "this complex eco system we live in and the awesome universe our planet is in, it just does not seem logical to have come from evolution"

What's going on? It's so painful. I need words of consolation. I need someone to tell me that this superstitious age is going to end soon. I need help.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Ruby,

I join Cofty and Viviane.

I, however, never read much about mother Teresa, so I don't know if she is in a league with you. I wouldn't be surprised.

You know what, on a second thought, I think cofty was too nice. What you wrote is pure non sense.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    thank you never a jw - my problem is that I don't like echoes and prefer to think for myself. Platitudes can echo forever and ever
  • never a jw
    never a jw
    Suffering is part and parcel of advanced forms of life, who are subject to the inexorable transformation of the universe around us according to the physical laws that regulate it. Tsunamis, earthquakes, flooding, drowning, cancer, etcetera are subject to those laws and the only thing humans can do is to learn how those laws work to use them to their advantage and reduce suffering. It seems suffering is here to stay for as long as there is sentient organisms. The only way God can rid us of suffering is to kill us all. If I read the bible right, this capricious character may end suffering soon (remember Noah's ark).
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

never a jw here is what little_socrates is asking us atheists for goodness sake

I am just trying to understand the atheist argument on suffering. It seems they like to hammer on certain preconceived ideas that theists bring to the table. I am just trying to turn it around and see if I can get atheists to defend and explain their positions. Usually theists are the ones that always have to defend themselves :smile:

Cofty as an atheist do you find any value in suffering? If you could arrange your life to avoid all suffering would you? Now I understand suffering that we may willing let into our life's isn't to the severity you guys are probably talking about, but it is more a question of severity than type.

If some suffering is useful and valuable, where do you draw the line to what is just pure evil?

• cofty
    cofty
    Still waiting for little_scorates to explain the question.
  • Caedes
    Caedes

I understand your pov Caedes that there is no divine plan and that things just happen, that the universe is oblivious to its effects. But disagree that things just happen when this is applied to suffering as I feel that suffering is always made and that unless we can appreciate how it is made we won't be able to address it, to lessen it, to understand how power is being used to keep people suffering.

How is a tsunami made? What power causes tsunamis? What about floods or ebola or earthquakes or cyclones? Those are not man made, nobody caused them. When the asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs that was before humans even existed. There are a whole range of things that happen that humans have no power over whatsoever. We do not control these things, the only thing we can do is mitigate against their effects.

And this, little_socrates, imo, is the value of owning and naming suffering and tracing its history and in doing so make it sublime if not beautiful - sublime as horror that needs to be witnessed to be overcome. (my emphasis)

Revelling in misery and suffering is not sublime or beautiful. It is both grotesque and absurd and showing a lack of empathy. But at least some respect is due for being willing to voice and back the awful and terrible beliefs that can be at the core of a faith in a creator god.

So I am disagreeing with you caedes on a very fundamental level in order to to show that there is the possiblity of dismissing suffering and by doing that allowing power that is very exploitive to go unchecked.

Good I am glad you disagree with me, I would hate to have something in common with someone who thinks that suffering is sublime or beautiful.

I think it is worth taking a moment to think through what your view would logically mean; after all if god is making people suffer it is for a good reason and who are you to interfere? Given that you believe that suffering is all part of god's plan then there isn't anything you can do to mitigate against that suffering is there? This kind of thinking is exactly what caused mother Teresa to have a charity with huge donations but not do anything with that money to help the people in her 'care'.

The famous quote from Stevn Weinberg seems very apt here "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

I note your points that follow and agree but still feel that I need to make the point above because I object strongly for the above reason and for the reason that you are putting God in the picture alongside engineering feats as God is often the vicitms of made (whether natural or man made) sufferings' only hope for change.

My point is that humanity does try to alleviate suffering, your god does nothing so I wouldn't put your god alongside the smallest of human achievements in this area.

edit: I think all our political leaders are aware of this so I won't say only Ed Milliband is although I'd like to - at the moment anyway

I'm unclear what Ed Milliband has to do with the topic, but at least he wants to try and do something to help his fellows, I would say the same about most UK political leaders apart from Farage of course (he would sell his granny if it helped him up the slippery pole).

Cantleave that pic has an interesting history that imo illustrates the point I am trying to make.

I think we all know how seriously to take your opinion now. The opinion you are sharing is sickening, despicable, lacking in empathy and is utterly beneath contempt.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    well at least you got that off your chest Caedes - lol
  • Caedes
    Caedes
    You think that suffering is something to laugh about? You illustrate my point about your lack of empathy rather succinctly.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

oh puhlease caedes - your opinion does not settle the issue of whether or not there is value in suffering. I am saying that there is value in suffering in that it is those who suffer and those who empathize with them who fight hardest for change.

As we are approaching our elections here in the UK I was trying to raise awareness about what our leaders are saying about the issue of alleviating suffering by improving life at the bottom of the pile. So why do you have a problem with what I am highlighting here? Some of the problems of increasing suffering here in the UK will be down to how much attention David Cameron will give to getting hospitals back on their feet for example.

All I am doing is helping to establish links with what is going on at present in our world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit