A couple questions for atheists on Suffering

by little_Socrates 102 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Who told you that the world should be free from suffering?

Do you find any value in suffering?

Do you think it is possible to experience all the beauty and goodness and pleasure the world offers without also experiencing the bad? Isn't good only good because we know what bad is? If there was only good would it really be "good"?

If you where God and could eliminate suffering what would the world look like? Or conversely if there was a loving God what should we expect the world to look like?

If you think about it, a world without world suffering would be nonsensical. Let me put it this way, you can't know light if there never was darkness. In the same manner you couldn't know suffering without happiness.

Now in the real world we do things with little regard to suffering. We hunt and eat animals. We defend our countries, etc. Cognitively we have tools that deludes us from reality, inflating our ego (evolutionary psychology has a lot to say on this). It's just that we make ad hoc and a priori excuses for them.

So I would like there to be a world of less suffering, and this is viably possible to some extent in our world from our time if I am to disregard those with brain deficiencies that cause depression, bipolar, schizophrenia and the such. I see a need for global harmony and anti-nationalism as did Einstein and Nietzsche.

Now if I was god that is a difficult question. Even if a god did exist it would be subjected to the laws of logic. After all god couldn't create a squared triangle, but happiness and suffering are harmonies to logic. So i hope that from this you understand that we are all chained to the laws of mathematics, of nature.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    its like you two are having a conversation with yourselves - so now who believes in imaginary beings? Caedes and viv

You're the one who thinks child rape has value.

fyi, Viviane, that is called a "straw man" argument ......... I leave it to YOU to figure it out.

It's actually not at all a straw man argument. I'm not sad you've left.

the reasoning seems to follow the line that if you are not with us then you must be against us and if you are against us you must be a theist. I'm more surprised that Caedes seems to be adopting this line of thought than viv.

You've claimed suffering has value. You've been asked if that means child rape has value. You've said it can produce valuable things.

Please tell me which part of your argument I've misrepresented.

here is what viv accuses me of and I thought i was being very clear that I am not arguing this at all

That's exactly 100% what you are arguing.

as to viv's arguments if she had followed my pov without bias then she would clearly see that I am actually arguing the opposite of what she accuses me of here as i am most definitely not arguing that there is value in suffering itself although little socrates may be arguing from that pov.

You've literally said that there was value in suffering, meaning there is value in child rape. Are you now NOT claiming that? How do you mostly not argue it? I've accused you of nothing. I merely state your position and argument.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    If you think about it, a world without world suffering would be nonsensical. Let me put it this way, you can't know light if there never was darkness. In the same manner you couldn't know suffering without happiness.

So, can a child enjoy NOT being raped without having been raped?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit