Question: When did satan become ruler of the world according to JW?

by Pickled 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pickled
    Pickled

I asked this question on another thread about Trees in Eden but it may be off topic, so asking here instead.

According to WTBTS doctrine, when did satan become the ruler of the world? Was it immediately after the humans were banished from the garden, or was it later when he fought with Michael and was banished from heaven and sent to the earth?

Any input you can give will be greatly appreciated. I have other questions along this line too but they depend on this initial answer. Thanks.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

According to JWs he became ruler after Adam and Eve sinned

• Pickled
    Pickled

Thank you for responding quietlyleaving. Would you mind answering a couple more questions?

Is it true that the current belief of the JW is that God has allowed satan to govern since that time?

Also, what is the belief concerning the guidelines God established for how much he does or does not interfere/intervene in the affairs of man since satan is the recognized ruler?

What I am trying to understand are the terms of who governs/intervenes/interferes, the when and the why according to JW.

• Pickled
    Pickled

quietlyleaving, as an example of what I am asking about...

If satan was the ruler of the world when humans were banished, it is obvious that he was not given the total decision making power concerning the world or God would not have decided to destroy all but 8 of them not long after the garden incident, correct? But he obviously did intervene, so that is one example that illustrates what I am asking. What were the guidelines or boundaries of ruling authority among God and satan?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

ephesians 6:11-13 sums up how JWs believe Satan rules.

Noah was "a preacher of righteousness" and a man of faith therefore he and his family were saved.

They believe that when Adam and Eve sinned Jehovah did not abandon his purpose regarding the earth and he had a few contingency plans up his sleeve. He worked toward realizing his purpose through faithful men and women.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sorry double post

• Pickled
    Pickled

Thank you again. Ok, so God still rules or governs among the faithful, but does not intervene in the lives of the unfaithful? BTW, I do not have answers already in mind and am not trying to lead you. I really am not sure of the answers, and appreciate your input.

If the answer is yes, he intervenes with the faithful, or only rules over the faithful only, and that leaves the unfaithful for satan to govern, then was the reason for the flood to help the faithful (Noah and his family)by removing the unfaithful?

• oompa
    oompa

For some reason, I think there may be doctrine that says his rule over the earth was not as complete as it was when he was confined here in 1914. Anybody?..............oompa

• Pickled
    Pickled

Thanks Oompa, I look forward to that answer.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I personally would start with Rutherford's books -- I forgot which one, but he elaborated the backstory of "Lucifer" -- including how Lucifer sinned and how he posed the challenge to Jehovah's sovereignty that led to the formation of "Satan's Organization" which had as its consequence Satan having freedom to influence affairs on earth. Of course, the Society has changed and toned down aspects of Rutherford's scenario, but it nonetheless was the most explicit depiction of the "events" involved.

Ah, here we go, here is a brief quote from Vindication, Volume 1:

"When Jehovah withdrew his favor from Israel and determined upon its destruction, that nation passed under the control of Satan by sufferance, and Satan, by the sufferance of Jehovah, became the god of the entire world" (Vindication, Volume 1, 1931, p. 282).

There is a lot more if you read further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit