The Future of the Watchtower Society and the Internet

by DT 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Praying4Justice
    Praying4Justice

To us here who understands how the Watchtower works, we can point out how obviously contradictory it is for them to discourage their members from going on the internet, yet they have their own "official" site. To add to that, there's one particular article they have posted that explains exactly who they are, although they would like for you to think otherwise. But again, since those of us who are on to their word games, we know better.

To any Jehovah's Witnesses who may be reading this for whatever reason, or anyone who is researching to try and decide if this group is right for you, I implore you to please read their article entitled "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda". Please read that article and truly ask yourself if they are the Educators or the Propagandists. It's in black and white and so clear cut, and there's absolutely no way that a Jehovah's Witness can read that article and not agree that the Watchtower is indeed the Propagandists. Please, you owe it to yourself to read it, and truthfully answer the questions they ask and come to YOUR OWN conclusion. For those of you who may just be researching or just starting to study with them, please keep the article where you can refer to it. I assure you, it will come in handy.

Be strong, as I'm sure some will come to the obvious conclusion. We're here to help you if you need.

Senora, Good for you! Glad you did your research and read the internet and now know what the truth really is. I only wish my daughter had a computer or even took an interest in one.

• smiddy
  • SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

When I was a dub I experienced cognitive dissonance over the fact that they do not fully utilize every means available to them in their supposed "life saving" work.

I've since made peace with this and many other apparent discrepancies: They aren't what they claim to be.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Cognitive Dissonance is a key phrase here. It took a looong time before I actually directly searched for "apostate" material. Even that was 'accidental' at first. I wouldn't even Google "Jehovah's Witness" until not that long ago really, from fear of what I could be exposed to. So they already have their members on a leash, at least the very active ones.

It's like JWs view of science: 'It's the greatest thing, but it's also a pack of lying, cheating atheist bastards we can't trust'. 'The internet is great, but there are a lot of dangers out there, so better stick only with the sites you know are 'safe''.

A 'trained conscience' is what they have. Or 'brainwashed', as it's called on the outside.

• jam
    jam

i made this comment before , i can see the borg moving to up state new york. ALL JW,s that live here in the USA. Why, they can have total control, the schools ,internet, no outside influence.Just like that other group in utah.They can clean each others house, kids would enjoy school. The new light, the preaching work is done. I can see a growth in the ranks, less stress among the average jw.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The Interwebs really took off whilst I was in Bethhell. WTBTS is totally unarmed against the Internet.

Even as many secular publishers and newspapers struggle to compete with online media, the WTBTS is similarly left behind by technology. In the old days, people would shell out a dime for some interesting mags, somewhat educational articles, just ignore the religious crap. Now, who cares if they give away the magazines? In a time when they should produce more to keep the R&F inspired and interest the general public, they are producing less. And what they produce is of poor quality and superficial compared to what you can find online. 20 years ago, a 4 page article about a remote part of India might be interesting. Now, you can browse online and almost be there with pictures, videos, articles and stories. They used to brag about the kids that would use Awake! to inspire award-winning essays. Now, the awards are going to the Internet savvy kids. B-bye Awake!

As for the R&F, I often found my self bombarded by the Internet circulated stories, illustrations, and poems... by 'friends' that likely didn't regularly read the magazines. Why? What WTBTS serves up is dull and uninspiring... except for some wacky Losch talks but you'll find that on the Interwebs, too.

Nowadays, if I'm going to buy something like the "Super Amazing Pasta Cooker", first thing I'll do is browse the WWW for any other purchasers' comments on it. If it gets fabulous reviews from lots of people, I'll buy it. Interestingly, I've found that if there's even one negative review, I just have to read it. What did they find wrong? Will I have the same problem? Now, suppose I go online and find that there are hundreds of negative reviews and found they were for a variety of reasons, well documented, and came from people that actually tried using the "Super Amazing Pasta Cooker" for years? Suppose the positive reviews came from people saying, 'we have faith that the Super Amazing Pasta Cooker will work correctly very, very soon and are willing to settle for gooey blobs of starch in the meantime.' Okay, thanks, I'll just keep boiling my spaghetti. End of illustration. If I were thinking of buying into a religion, I'd research on the Internet and walk away from the JW cult.

B the X

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

New Light

The 'Spirit of the World' is the Internet!

It is no longer the television or radio!

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

One thing that has always struck me as odd is how the Borg constantly criticizes the 'net, but they established a website before many of us on this board, arguably, even had internet access ourselves....hypocrites....

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Watchtower as it exist now will not last until 2020! Internet is a BIG part of that.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I see the best thing about the net is the immense amount of information available.

Once a small crack is made in the "armor" of a witness, that information will blow it wide open.

This is why I am here; I went online in 2002 to find out what stupid elders were goofing up regarding the child abuse scandal. The more I looked, the worse it got. Once I realized they were lying about the sexual abuse of children, that was it for me. If they do not have the moral sense to get that issue right, or at least apologize and move on, how can they be trusted to write doctrine, or handle lesser issues? It became obvious that not only were they more concerned about their image than victims, they were covering for their own egregious errors.

Long live the free flow of information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit