How did you save your marriage while leaving?

by AlyMC 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• besty
    besty
    thinking I was a great husband because I was a good MS and therefore, by default, a good father and husband

great point 10p - and welcome to JWD by the way - this deserves its own thread

I pick the right time to talk about the JW organization and religion, etc. Sometimes, our spouses may not be in the mood to discuss religion, etc. So we have to know when to speak and when not to speak

exactly right Ronin - that certainly made a big difference to the reaction I got from SweetPea when I raised a few issues with her

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was the 'deeply spiritual' part of our marriage. I was not a 'born in', but almost, since my mother discovered and attached us to the religion when I was about 4 or 5 years old. My wife was born in.

In many ways, looking back, our marriage was always key. We were not typical Jw in some ways, though we bought the entire package set before us. Our marriage was our universal center, not our religion. This helped us to eventually leave together. That, and the fact that I was the spiritual one [and by WTS standards the head], and I was the one who began to question things first. Really, I think Wifey just always followed my lead - and it was likely inevitable that if I figured it out, she would follow.

Although there had been other 'watershed moments', ones that I did not recognise at the time, I began to really sense that things were wrong with the changes in the 1914 dogma in 1995. The next half dozen years found me trying to figure it out without allowing 'apostate material' to influence that. I went thru complicated 'scenarios', calculations about the mortality of the 1935 'sealed ones', and pondered deeply the failure of the 'anointed' to die - the same 8500 just seemed to live on and on. Then I began to 'allow' myself to at least read the accounts of others who had left, while carefully tip-toeing around websites that would bias me against the religion that I still loved. That went on for 2 or 3 more years, on and off. All through this mine-field of discovery, right by my side, was my wife. I told her everything that I thought - I always have - so she shared my journey on auto-pilot. But I continued to be the one who sought 'the truth about the truth', she was just a side-kick. Or at least I thought she was.

In the late summer of 2003 I had begun to expose myself more to the Internet than before. I actually clicked on a few ads about Ray's books - and would look at the description with tremendous desire to read them. This too I expressed to my wife as she occasionally peered over my shoulders. I eventually was drawn to these ads time and again, though there was some time between these events, as I was truck driver thru part of that time, and not home enough to spend much time on the matter. Finally one day I stated the same thing again "Someday I am going to order those books and see what Franz really says there". To which Wifey replied "No need - I have them on order - read them or don't read them, your choice, but I am going to read them and find out what he says".

I was floored. Taken by complete surprise. I expected that she would read them, once I finally decided to order them. But never expected her to take charge and make the decision. I was wildly in expectation of them. And when they arrived we both devoured them. By January or thereabouts of 2004, we had mutually elected to never enter the Kingdom Hall again. And we never have.

I have adapted a little slower to the customs and 'worldly holidays' than she has. I suspect that deep inside she had determined there were deep problems in the organization long before I did. Once she saw me making moves toward actually finding out the reality - she took hold and never looked back. She is still doing that.

Our marriage has not suffered a single altercation as a result of this discovery. I only wish we had made it 20 years earlier.

Jeff

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

AlyMC,

I am in the same situation and I am currently working on saving my relationship with my wife. I was the one that started questioning the WT doctrine and inquired by doing research about the religion and read apostate literature. I no longer believed what I was being taught by the WTBS.

I slowly started taking my stand. I spoke to my wife about my feelings and new understandings of what I thought was once the true religion. She didn't agree with me but I still held firm to my convictions. I resigned from my position as Accounts Servant then six months later I resigned from being an MS. I continued with my duties until I was tired of feeling compelled to do them. That's when I grew a goatee, knowing they wouldn't let me perform any duties while having one. Then one day I told my wife I no longer wanted to be a JW and that I would never set foot in another KH again. This tore her up emotionally. She thinks that I am going against her and I had to re-assure her that it was the religion I was choosing to leave nother. I told her I would support her in her beliefs and would not try to deter her from them.

Since then there is moments that she is okay with the decision I made but then there are times where it arises to the fore and she breaks down emotionally over it. She is having a hard time coming to terms with the reality that I do not care if I "Liver Forever in Paradise". I no longer beleive that philosophy.

I beleive the biggest crossing for her was my choice to start associating with my side of the family, non-JW's, after seven years of being away from the. She has mentioned that she would be abliged to report me and have me DF'd. She also made mention to me that I may need to get a new medical directive, since I stated that I will accept blood transfusions, and if I needed one she would let me die. When I did this she again came apart emotionally. I am going to send a copy to the B.O.E. and here parents. This will probably speed up the DFing process.

Since then we have had our good times and bad but I can tell the relationship is erroding but I try to remain positive that we will stick it out and work thru it. The other crossing is that she has her parents that are JW's and she is worried about being able to associate with them if I am DF'd. Because it will happen eventually. That is just there mindset.

Currently I do not know exactly where we are at in this scheme of things but I am getting a lot of moral support from this site and my side of the family, which was totally against me becoming a JW in the first place. I have never really had a place in my life for religion. I and my younger brother was brought up without religion. Not that we are Athiest but just did not worship or attend a church.

I have come to the understanding that if there is a God and he has the ability to "read hearts" that he will read mine and understand where I am coming from.

AlyMC, I admire your courage. Please stand firm in what you beleive in and be true to yourself and your heart.

Eyes Wide Open

Sincerely,

Quirky1

• blondie
    blondie

We were just on the same page at the same time. Same cruel things done by the elders to both of us. Hubbie just took a little more time to fade not to draw attention to himself.

• ronin1
    ronin1
    Our marriage has not suffered a single altercation as a result of this discovery. I only wish we had made it 20 years earlier.

Jeff:

The same with our marriage. The borg tries to insinuate that if you leave their religious organization your marriage will suffer and you will eventually break -up. But that is not true. If your marriage and relationship is strong, you will stay with one another regardless of the differences or even if you both decide to leave the borg, your commitment to one another stays true.

My husband and I have been married almost 14 yrs now and we basically faded about 5 years ago and our marriage and love for one another has not suffered. In fact, because we know we have lost many so-called 'friends' and family members as associates, we have come to appreciate that we are each other's 'best friends'.

Ronin1

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

my wife broke a fry pan on my car one day when I said I was staying home from the meeting.......now she doesn't go either....baby steps and extreme patients.

• worf
    worf

I have always been glad to hear of couples whose marriage did not break up

because of a husband or wife realizing the Honest truth about the wt organization.

And as Ronin 1 knows, my experience is the opposite. 6 months after I stopped attending meetings,

I came home one day, and my wife had left me without warning or discussion. Her things were gone, some of our

possessions were gone, and I did not see her again until divorce court 3 years later.

Thats okay though, because after we got married, she turned out to be a pompous a$$ pioneer, full of pride,

who thought she was above everyone else.

Thats the way it is sometimes.

As an FYI, Ronin 1 is my sister. . Hey Ronin 1 !!!!

Worf

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hey Worf:

Yes, I can fully attest to your experience with your former wife and how some marriages just do not last when mates make a religious change.

What are you doing home? Laugh

Give me a call. I'm home too today. My the break light switch on my car broke so I have have to wait until we get the part to drive.

Ronin1

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I really appreciate everyone's stories!

Ronin- I am in complete agreement. Being out has not in any way made our marriage suffer. Quite the opposite really. Once we recovered and adapted a little, it really started to get good. We've been together 10 years and each year since leaving just gets better.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I saved my marriage BY leaving the dubs. When I was a braindead dub in my late teens, I fell in love with and married a nonbeliever. I believe I must have had at least one working synapse left in my brain, because the thought of marrying a dub, even though I was one too, made me feel ill.

My husband put up with several trying years early in our marriage while I wrestled with the idea of leaving and finally working up the courage to do so. He didn't try to influence me one way or another; he understood I had to leave on my own terms and waited patiently for me to wake up to the truth that the WTS is a mind-controlling cult (now, is that true love or what!)

As I look back on the experience (36 years later; same husband, BTW), I realize he took a huge risk by marrying me. If I had remained a dub, it would, I believe, have wrecked our marriage sooner or later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit