new brochure

by bonnzo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

at tonights meeting a new brochure was released along with the question box in the km regarding how to dress when visiting bethel/branch homes. they, of course, said to dress like you do at th meetings. the brochure is 4 pages with color photo illustations of what not to wear and what is appropriate. they show some with t-shirts, jeans, sneakers, short skirts, tight clothing, bare midriffs, etc. of course, this will be used to govern what is worn is worn to meetings, especially the short skirt, which is always controversial(what is too short? above the knee or below? not above according to the pic) whats next? soon, they will tell what to wear to go out and what to sleep in!!! somebody shoot me!!!

• Free
    Free

Dressing up is nothing new if you go to one of the torture factories. I went to the farms once and this chick was with a dress on cleaning, gloves on and all. She did not look happy but that place was clean. That place seemed like a prison. The one guy I was with knew this one inmate and he showed us his cell. There he live with 3 others and that shit was tiny. He said it was only temporary because the place was "under expansion." One of his cell mates didn't even sleep in a bed. When you talk temporary and expansion of facilities, That's at least 6 months. The dude was like "I don't mind it , I like to sleep on the floor anyway." I wonder how his back turned out ? I know the Farms turned out OK.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What a fine waste of paper. It takes four pages to tell people how they are supposed to dress, even while just visiting Beth Hell.

And the rules are outrageous. They have distinct pictures that show examples of what is not acceptable. Having sneakers, a baseball cap, or casual wear is not acceptable. And, their sexist attitude (which rivals the rappers that have misogynistic lyrics in their music, which is merely entertainment) shows--sisters are not allowed to wear slacks while touring Beth Hell! And they make more bad examples out of black people (I saw the picture on another thread, and was amazed at the waste of paper to tell people how to dress).

Why all the rules? Where I work, they have maybe a paragraph or two about the rules on jewelry that is allowed, styles of hair and clothing, that electronic devices are or are not allowed, etc. Most schools are similar: they will have guidelines such as no excess revealed skin, no tank tops or shorts, clothes must be in good condition, no pants halfway down, etc. But never in such detail as Beth Hell has put out--and that is just for visitors!

The world is nowhere near as bad as this. Even in the 1970s, people would wear jeans and T-shirts outside and at work (if the job was dirty or physically demanding). Sneakers are common today, and can look presentable while being functional. Baseball caps, even when worn backwards, are not my idea of being sloppy (though the visor does serve its function, to keep sunlight out of the eyes, better when properly worn). People do not need to be totally sloppy (such as pants halfway down, excessively baggy pants and shirts, shoelaces untied, etc.) to look hip. All they need is common sense. And, personally I see nothing wrong with allowing public nudity when appropriate!

I think the Watchtower Society has better things to worry about than how visitors to Beth Hell dress. Like trying to get me into their Value Destroyer Training School before I destroy them.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I must have missed the scripture that says sisters can't wear trousers.

There was a subtle comment in the KM article that said this sort of attire is inappropriate "at any time". I ain't spending all week in a skirt for no one.

• fokyc
    fokyc

NOT IN BRITAIN!

The March 2008 Kingdom Ministry, (km08 03-E Bi), does contain such an article on page 3 of 4

QUESTION BOX

What type of clothing is appropriate when visiting facilities use for Jehovah's service?

No pictures or diagrams, perhaps this is some local elders idea.

Please post a scan for us all to see.

fokyc

• Maddie
    Maddie

As a sister I always had trouble with their sexist rules. Soooo glad I'm out of it!

Maddie

• GermanXJW
  • senora
    senora

So sad. Really, there should be nothing wrong with sisters wearing slacks to the dining room, they either have to work in a skirt or change clothes every day before eating. What if they are cleaning, or even working in the laundry?

Wear a skirt to breakfast, change out of the skirt after breakfast, change out of the pants for lunch into the skirt and then after lunch change back into the pants and for dinner change back into the skirt. COME ON PEOPLE!!! They just don't give you a break, they are seriously crackin the whip.

• choosing life
    choosing life

It's called institutional living. They get to make the rules. Just don't go there.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

The pictures that they have in the brochure has the women wearing heals. I wonder if they have ever tried to do a bethel tour in heels. They might want to try it before telling the women that walking shoes are inappropriate. I think next time I go to New York I am going to tour their facility but I am going to dress like a hooker. Let them put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Sheri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit