Do YOU Believe You Contribute Much To This Board?

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    I'm trying to get my 10 hours in every month!!!

LOL...........I think most posters on here would be considered "special pioneers" with the hours they put in on here!

• Casper
    Casper

Oh Yeah, I'm just a "Wealth" of information...

I may not be needed on the board, but it is a life saver for me.

I agree with "Mouthy" above...........I read so much more than post, (working on that)...but, the things I have read over the years have helped me very much. If nothing else, just to know that I'm not alone in all this.

Cas

• Undecided
    Undecided

I know I should have but I haven't given 10cents yet.

Ken P.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Wisdomwise, I do what I reasonably can. After all, the more I contribute to this board, the more I take away from the Watchtower Society. And I would rather put in 40 or 50 hours a month here than put in one hour a month in field circus.

• knock knock
    knock knock

Not in the least.

• only me
    only me

I haven't contributed much yet but I've learned so much from all of you here.

I'm very grateful and am slowly trying to be share with you too.

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

I would like to contribute more toward the educational aspect for the benefit of others.

One

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I think I make everyday on this board a sunny day, full of insight and laughter, with just a hint of intelligent sarcasm mixed with post-modern humor that only the most sharpest mind and wit could ever imagine.

.....................Nah not really

• Terry
    Terry

I've been on JWD long enough to have made over 6000 posts!

That is one huge pile of steaming plop!

In my several years on and off this discussion Board I've formed an opinion or two about my own contriubtions and those of others.

There are, roughly, four different kinds of visitors to JWD.

1. Socializers. People who need to replace their Kingdom Hall social network with more like-minded folks who can actually understand the peculiar malignancy of being an EX-JW. These socializers form friendships, provide support for personal problems, throw parties, engage in light-hearted banter and maintain a tie with their fellow Watchtower-victims.

2.Angry flame throwers. These troubled folk are often freshly disfellowshipped persons with no place to put their anger. They need to sound off, lash out, engage in debate, trash talk or just get something off their chest. These posters can transition easily into calm, productive members of the virtual community once they calm down and talk it out. Or....they can get eaten up with the betrayal and the injustice by turning into a porcupine of indignation and permanent fang and claw tempermentality.

3. Scholarly thinkers. These folks can be subdivided into two separate flavors. The A flavor are folks who have a kind of enthrallment with details, histories, apologia, research and turn their intellect to chipping away steadily at the monlithic claptrap pyramid the Watchtower Society has erected. The B flavor folks are more philosophical and less attached to nitpicking nuances of scripture and heremeneutical expositions of this and that. They take a broader (but, no less fact-based) view of the basis and foundational structure of Jehovah's Witnesses. They can see the forest without having to name the phylum of the specific trees involved.

4.Frauds. These are truly troubled people. These folks represent themselves in all sorts of phoney ways to achieve an effect. They need attention. They need to be engaged in huge fights, discussions, dramas, complaints, biographical hair-pulling and long-term woe-is-me contests. The frauds can be as diverse as self-pretentious scholars with their own home-brew Theology or, merely snipers who hit and run by passive-aggressive bites to the ankle. Frauds are frauds because they really aren't invested in a core philosophy; they are against everything equally! They just want to argue with you and make sure you bleed.

Somewhere in the interstices of these four types we all find ourselves individually.

When I first arrived on JWD I had a pent-up need to sound off about damn near everything and be heard. I fancied myself a scholarly thinker. But, I was somewhere between a fraud and an angry flame thrower.

As time passed I could see there were some really terrific people here who actually cared about other people's feelings. There were open minded people who didn't pounce when the other guy made a mis-step. People here can hold out a helping hand as a feeling, thinking person without any agenda attached. I began to see it would be much better to emulate these folks than continue down my angry path.

It is very hard for me to burst outside my skepticism. I shudder in horror of being a generic "spiritual" person who now loves Jesus as the third person of any Trinity. I'd still rather break my spine than have a Holy Spirit encounter with "The Lord" on may way to the restroom.

I can't seem to get the bitter flavor of "religion" off my tongue. I'm suspicious of people who embrace fuzzy belief over factual knowledge.

But, I'm not simply angry any more.

I can't say that I've contributed anything of substance to this board in the last several years other than robust debate and a plea for others not to jump from the frying pan of Jehovahdom into the fire of the local church---or--worse: the metaphysical realm of "energy", "spirit", "meditations" and oneness with the mystical edge of flim-flam.

I'm a sour old duck, surely.

Yet, I maintain my sense of humor--I hope.

I don't mind being wrong. I crave it, actually. Any change which can be wrought in my life by others is welcomed. I've done enough self-damage to warm myself to the ministrations of thinking, caring, persuasive minds bent on scraping away my barnacles.

The core of truly wonderful people here on JWD doesn't vary. They always out number the curmudgeons like myself who bark when you walk past my yard.

Perhaps, over time, I'll become a mellow fellow with a bright smile and keep my porcupine quills folded back unobtrusively.

• caliber
    caliber

I will go thundering down through history (& this board ) like an extra pint of water over Nigara falls ! he he he.....

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit