10 things to do before you die....

by lfcviking 44 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have no list anymore either R.C. Even if everyone does everything on their lists, it won't change their lives. They will still be the same people, with the same relationships, and the same problems (but probably less money). They will still die just the same. Sometimes people make lists to keep busy and distract themselves from their reality instead of facing it.

Your post was real and what was true for you right now. It's OK not to have a list for the future but to just be with what is in the moment.

Cog

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

1. Become completely comfortable in and familiar with another culture, preferably one demonized by the popular media.
    2. Write a book.
    3. Attempt to disprove all your core beliefs – and do it honestly. Hey, we've all done that.
    4. Learn to dance unselfconsciously and easily.
    5. Learn to cook another culture's cuisine.
    6. Call a noxious talk-radio host and rip him a new one.
    7. Study the flora and fauna of your area. And the geology.
    8. Join a choir or band.
    9. Tomorrow, start reading at least one book a week. Then never stop.
    10. ...and real one suggests:
      Be reconciled to God!
      Working on it, thanks.
    gently feral
  • crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

This thread reminds me of Tim McGraw's "Live like you are dying" song. Youtube is down, or I'd post the link!!

• oldflame
    oldflame

You forgot one on the list.

Take a 24 hour fast before you die so you don't shit yourself !

• berylblue
    berylblue

I think it's more than worthwhile to set goals for oneself, something I tend NOT to do. So thanks for this topic.

I, for one, get so mired in the day to day living I don't project into the future. I am not even sure what I like to do anymore. Some days, my only goal is to get 7 hours of sleep. So this exercise will be difficult for me, but here goes:

1. Go to Italy and visit my relatives and definitely see Venice

2. Write a book and get it published

3. Spend some time with Al Stewart and actually tell him HOW his music has orchestrated life; when I see him briefly I get very tongue tied which is stupid, because he's a really nice and friendly man. Thank him in person, not just in writing

4. Take time to thank those (still living) who have made an impact on my life - this is something I can start doing now

5. Quit smoking and take dance lessons with the money

6. Apologize for any wrongs I have committed and any feelings I may have hurt - again, good to do on a daily basis but there are some long standing things to which I need to attend

7. Learn to appreciate every moment of life and make the most of each day

8. Learn to play "Year of the Cat" on the piano

9. Finish the poem I've worked on for over 20 years - it has to be PERFECT and it's not yet

10. Buy something for once without looking at the price tag first

• berylblue
    berylblue
    Even if everyone does everything on their lists, it won't change their lives. They will still be the same people, with the same relationships, and the same problems (but probably less money).

Respectfully, you don't know that. Perhaps going to Japan WILL change someone's life. Maybe if I do quit smoking and take dance lessons, I'll gain more self-confidence. If I force myself to learn to play Year of the Cat on the piano, I'll have developed tremendous patience.

As far as less money, I don't have any but if I did, I'm not planning on taking any of it with me. Both my daughters have much,much more money than I, so they can get my insurance money, but I'm not into stockpiling assets for them to have when I die. Just love and memories.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    Make love- with nothing hold either partner back... None of this JW sh*t... Just an intensity, without feeling bad for it...

I did that once and only once, and the memory is still vivid, poignant and simply amazing.

It was before he and I really knew one another; before relationship issues could spoil the magic and sheer sensuality.Since I was married at the time, we couldn't have a relationship. But I have never forgotten either him or that night and I know on my deathbed who and what I will be remembering.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

1. travel all around the world

2. bungee jump/sky dive

3. ride a horse at full gallop

4. white water rafting

5. scuba dive off the great barrier reef

6. kiss drew

7. pet a real live cheetah

8. sing to an audiance - just cos

9. have a child

10. give away R 1000 to a complete but needy stranger.

11. learn to play the drums

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm having trouble thinking of things I'm interested in but haven't done yet. I could narrow it down to just one thing - overcoming my indifference.

W

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Raise children that will be an asset to society.

Watch the sun set from a sailboat in the mid-Pacific

Hike Roland's Pass while making the traditional pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela--and afterwards locate distant relatives in the area.

Climb a mountain over 20,000 feet

Learn to fly a plane-aerobatically

Learn Latin, Arabic and Greek

Visit the Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos in Spain

Land a 1000 lb Marlin--or land a 150 lb Tarpon on light tackle

Drop a Cape Buffalo with a single shot in mid-charge-or bag a Kodiak bear

Learn to play the guitar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit