Can anyone tell me what made this ?

by JH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Looks like a Bear print. BF.....that's Bigfoot for those of you with a dirty mind, would have more of a longer Ape or Human type footprint.

• kls*
    kls*

Well from what i can tell its not a dog . I do have a large BloodHound (130pds) but even her feet aren't that big and the pads on the feet are different then a dogs.

Sorry Flipper but the snow is now melted so i can't get the depth but whatever this paw print is its big.

In parts of Wisconsin Mountain lions have been sighted so maybe theres a big kitty in them there woods .

• flipper
    flipper

KLS - Yeah, that's what I'm thinking , a mountain lion , especially if you live in or near the woods

• Forscher
    Forscher

Thanks for the opportunity.

Many years ago, during my pre-dub days I spent quite a bit of time in the back of nowhere. My family were camping fanatics. And we preferred what is known as "primitive" camping, that is camp grounds which might have outhouses and hand driven water pumps, if we went to campgrounds at all. Our family would pack up and go into the wilderness within days after the end of the school year, and we wouldn't come back until days before school resumed.

I've been camping in the back of nowhere just about everywhere east of the Mississippi river and from as far north as the upper peninsula in Michigan, to the edge of the everglades just West of Hallandale, Florida. Naturally us kids were often partly responsible for providing food. So, I've picked blueberries in the same field with a black bear, fished, and gathered morrells and wild onions among other things.

One summer we spent the whole summer in a campground with a mixed Apache-Navaho family. My brother and I spent that summer roaming the forest nearby with the boy from that family who was our age learning woodcraft Indian style. Those were wonderful years.

Naturally, when I went into the boy scouts I became something of the troop expert on hunting, trapping, and survival skills. Even the troop leaders acknowledged my knowledge and skills in those areas put me in a league above them. I recall one time they decided to have a contest in which they sent the scouts into a field several acres in size and had a prize for whoever could find the most edible items out in that field. I was not allowed to compete, but was instead sent into the field to see what was there and was the authority who decided whether something was edible if the the leaders were unsure. After the winner was decided, I was asked to tell the troop what I'd found just to make the point of why I'd not been allowed to compete and what everybody, including the scoutmaster, had missed. The most amusing item which folks missed to me was a wintergreen tree which stood right beside the rally point. The boyscout survival manual of the time included wintergreen among the edible plants one should know about, it makes a great tea, so there was really no excuse for anybody missing that one. Everybody else also missed sources for good meat, both a rabbit warren and Pheasants. So I was the only one who could've put together a complete meal meat, vegetables, including but not limited to wild onions and edible mushrooms to stew or saute the meat with, starch, cattail tubers which can be made into something much like mashed potatoes, and tea.

Thanks for the chance to go down one pleasant memory lane.

Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit