Are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult? (No Exit)

by sacolton 44 Replies latest jw friends

• oldseeker2
    oldseeker2

Sorry about that last post, (no formatting) but if someone can tell me how to copy from Word and paste into the text window I would appreciate it.

oldseeker

• still_in74
    still_in74
    I forgot that you are not allowed to have a differing opinion on this forum. As long as I am drinking the majority Kool-Aid, it's better then drinking the other guys Kool-Aid.

to a point I agree with Burger as all religions have a degree of "control" over there flock as "newme" pointed out. All religions do this. One might suggest that the foundation for cults came from organized religion. However, most religous denominations allow at least discussion of the rightness of the doctrines of the church. This is where cults differ - you can never question any teaching of the group. This is certainly the case for the WTS. The only questions up for discussion are those the WTS raises in the WT to further prove their own point. For this reason, (and others) I would define the WTS as a cult.

• real one
    real one

Burger Time says:

So if you are Catholic your allowed to go to church and teach that Mary should not be prayed to? Your allowed to go to a Baptist church and preach to members that hell does not exist. See how long it takes to be asked to leave. You may not be "branded" but you will definitely be avoided for doing such things in any church or religion. I will give you the fact that the dubs do this over very minor issues but that will change the bigger they get. Remember the Catholic church didn't stop their excommunication practices until 1983! So was it a cult up until 1983? It expected you to follow certain doctrines, and practices and used just as much loaded language. It was more lax then the dubs for sure but you had the basic outline and principles still there. I know this is a bit of a red herring but I'm just saying that I don't feel the dubs are a typical Cult. The best explanation I have heard is that they are somewhere in the middle. I think a lot of people who brand them a cult have strong emotional reasons to do so.

I did not mean you can just do what you want. The information taught in most of the religions you mentioned is from the Bible, so there are rules. You are however not forced to believe them. the teachers are ministers not just anybody can say anything. Whatever is preached must line up with God's word. Like the jw dont teach all lies. some of what they say is true.

They are a cult and if you cant see that then take off the rose colored glasses

• real one
    real one

Communities of religious people all over the world know how to make your life MISERABLE if you dare to leave their group.

I dont know where you got that info but that dont happen round here. I grew up baptist and if you left that church people still speak to you when they see you.

• real one
    real one

still in you touched on a very good point of the cult. that is one of the highest levels of achievement in the cult. no one can question their authority!

• mind my own
    mind my own

This absolutely, positively IS a cult. If it isn't, I don't know what is...

MMO

• Maddie
    Maddie

Burger Time - It is true that all religious organisations have some degree of control in their set up. However some are very high control groups and enforce this high control by manipulating peoples minds without the "victims" being aware of it. The criteria for what constitutes a cult is evident in how the WT operates and is a very sophisticated technique believe me! Just because it appears harmless in that it differs from cults that are overtly dangerous it doesn't mean the WT isn't a cult.

Maddie

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

At least the Street gangs like the Mexican Mafia lay it out openly for the members to choose...Blood In...Blood Out

• flipper
    flipper

Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! Cult ! There I'm done . Oh, hell, one more time for effect ! CULT ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Yes, Catholics and Baptists have rules, and have some consequences for breaking them. All social groups do.

However, they do not control what you read, what you wear, what movies you watch, what music you listen to, what kind of facial hair you wear, what you eat, who can be your friends, what kind of education you can get, what kind of job you work, what kind of medical treatment you can take, HOW YOU THINK, and on and on and on and on...

Catholics and Baptists don't bar you from speaking with your own children if they question your beliefs.

I can't believe anyone who spent any significant period of time in The Lie would still defend it as a legitimate religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit