I don't really wish to "Attack" Religion - but this is hard to ignore!

by AK - Jeff 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hey Jeff, I posted the above before I noticed that you referenced WWJD at the end of a previous post. Sorry, seek2find

• real one
    real one

Im not sure what church you guys are referring to but at my church we serve God and have many other ministries to serve the sick, homeless, orphans, widows,etc... thats why im glad i am no longer affiliated with the jw because they only help jws.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    To me the poster would be more effective without the profanity, but still it make a valid point. seek2find Of the official "no longer a Jehovah's Witness" class

Yes and Yes.

I have literally never uttered the F word that is used in the poster. I have always regarded it as vulgar, needless, and useless. It's shock value is gone in today's world too, if there ever was any 'value' in that word. I almost did not post it for that reason - but it makes a useful point. [One that could have been made as well or better without that word methinks.]

Re: WWJD. I always wondered why Jw's fought so hard against the use of this term. If it had originated at Bethel they would have used it constantly - except the finger they point would be pointing back at them most of the time. Of course for Jw's, WWJD would have to have been "What Would Jehovah Do" Not the same message, is it?

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Im not sure what church you guys are referring to but at my church we serve God and have many other ministries to serve the sick, homeless, orphans, widows,etc... thats why im glad i am no longer affiliated with the jw because they only help jws.

No particular church is intended here. Just the general idea that Christians would pass by suffering, hunger, and agony, dressed like kings in a chariot. Instead of stopping and aiding, feeding, and comforting these souls. Again WWJD? Jeff

• Gopher
    Gopher

To the Christian apologist who posted earlier --

Certainly everyone in rich America could be more generous. However, even if all the "religious" people in America gave up all they had, the poor would be with us still.

Even if the problem of poverty is overwhelming, we shouldn't give up.

The fact is that America is the most altruistic nation on the planet, giving more in overseas food, clothing, and charity than any other country.

Yes we can give overseas, but what about the poor right here? Where I live the food-shefl usage has risen significantly this decade.

"Religion" is the key determing factor (according to NBC News) in identifying the largest cumulative donor groups to charity. Up until recent years, almost all hospitals were relgion-founded (e.g. Saint Lukes, Saint Vincents, Methodist Hospital, etc.).

With all the collections religions take, and their tax-free status, it's only right that they should give back to society. Their status as charitable organizations is why they are granted tax-free status.

I am not so down on "religious" types helping others. I wonder why non-religious types are given a free pass?

The point of this thread is that some religious folks feel it's enough to go to church. But there's been a certain pride of membership in certain churches, as if they're special because of what they believe or what they do. Then fine, let's see them really care on a personal level, and not just leave it to their church organization or their government to be generous for them.

Non-religious people I've seen often care about their community and "giving back" just as much as religious ones. They just don't have a belief system, that's all.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    gofer said: Yes we can give overseas, but what about the poor right here? Where I live the food-shefl usage has risen significantly this decade

I have thought of this so often even in our own country, if you drive around in Calgary there are homeless people seen everywhere. Kids go to school hungry, I ask why isn't our country starting at home first?

With all the collections religions take, and their tax-free status, it's only right that they should give back to society. Their status as charitable organizations is why they are granted tax-free status.

And what does the Wt do for society????

Great points gofer

hope4others

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Ak-Jeff

The picture is a hard reality but true I believe.

hope

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nice!

I could actually imagine Jesus saying that - minus the bad language of course!

He already said something similar when he walked the earth - see Matthew 23!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit