i was told it was like mixing with bad association , i found that quite laughable considering all the scandal that went on in the congregation , it made eastenders look very tame , im suprised they could not see it for themselves ,how hypocritical it all was
why is watching soap operas not allowed in dub land ?
Dear loo loo,
Watching soaps encourages prurient thoughts, hence leading one into unseemly conduct.
Ironic - soap juxtaposed with unclean thoughts ...
surely Neighbours is fine then???
I used to watch The Young and the Restless when I was a teenager.....the Dub sister who was studying with me told me I shouldn't watch it because of "all the immorality" on there.
This very same sister had no problem watching Dallas every Friday night though.
an elder and his wife and son enjoyed watching xfiles, so like at the time, Im like no way are you telling me I cant read my sci fi/fantasy books no more, they said lord of the rings bad.
Mary, my mom did the same thing. She never missed an episode of Days of Our Lives, Young & the Restless, and Edge of Night. When the "new rule" came down she had no problem switching to Knot's Landing and Dallas which was worse than the daytime soaps.
- if you have time for soap operas then you have time for service
Also, you get attached to them, as if they are your family, and youi know that only the JW's are you true family....
Here are some of the reasons:
(1) TV is a "time vacuum". People that watch TV should be out in field circus instead. If you have time for a soap, that is an hour that could be spent knocking on doors.
(2) It encourages people to be materialistic. It takes money to buy a TV set, and electricity to run it. If you have the money for a TV, you need to reduce your employment and pioneer. If you get the money for a TV from a one-time event (a gift, bonus, etc.), you need to put it in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund instead of wasting it on a TV set.
(3) Soaps are mature in content. The content is usually rated TV-14, which means some sexual content and violence. It is not usually graphic sexual content (usually a couple in bed, with the blankets on, snuggling, or something like that), but enough that Ted Jaracz will not tolerate it. I have seen sporadic violence and foul language, including rare usage of the F word. However, for the target audience, it is not sufficient to warrant caution in watching it. Children should not view it without parental advisory, however, but mostly because they are less likely to be entertained by adult material than for objectionable content.
(4) Control. They tell people that they should not be watching these things because the target audience actually enjoys soaps. Whatever people enjoy, whether TV, music, movies, games, or computer activity, the Watchtower Society usually comes up with specious reasons to ban it.
I watched them growing up (in the JWs), anyone else here was into Another World and Texas in the early to mid 80s??