Why not use mass-media...?

by Moxie 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Moxie
    Moxie

As a witness I had always wondered why the society did not use modern mass-media such as television broadcast, etc. to communicate its "Life Saving Message" to the masses. Afterall isn't preaching the most important work for a JW? As 'true' christians isn't their highest purpose to "share the good news" with others around the world before "the end of the system"?

Since they are an extremely wealthy corporation, wouldn't their money be well spent by preaching to the masses in our modern age of information technology? In the early days of the Society they made use of mass radio broadcasting. Why not now? Surely a convincing television program would stir up more interest and media coverage than 10 years of door knocking...

I have heard the argument that in Jesus day they went from door to door, and so that is what modern JW's continue to do. But I ask this, If there were more effective means such as TV or radio in Jesus day, don't you think he would have used it?

Of course the most common answer I'm sure is that they are not really interested in the most effective method of preaching. Why pay money for advertising or broadcasting when you have millions of slave-labor minions pounding the pavement for free...?

Just wondering what your own personal thoughts and comments are on this... or if anyone knows of information from the society answering this question I'm sure it would make an interesting read.

"Moxie"

• horrible life
    horrible life

The religion could not handle the scrutiny that going main stream would cause. They have so many holes in their doctrine, they would sink.

• Casper
    Casper

I've wondered the same thing myself, over the years. Shouldn't they be doing everything in their power to get the message out to the public. Since, of coarse... the "End" is so close.

The religion could not handle the scrutiny that going main stream would cause

I think HL hit the nail on the head, they don't want to be looked at too closely.

Cas

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yeah, even when I wuz one, I often wondered.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It would be too easy. If I had the right tools, it would take me all of 25 minutes to complete the worldwide work, with finality. All I would have to do is send spam to everyone on the planet--it would take me a few minutes to write up the spam, about 10 seconds to call in the botnets already in place to distribute it, and a single click of a mouse to officially post it. Then the botnet would do its job.

And then, there would be nothing for the members to do. Field circus would end, since I did it all (and can only count 25 minutes). With nothing to do, people would start looking at the Bible objectively and seeing the layers of mysticism in the religion. From there, there would be more exodus. Besides that, people would rather be playing or sleeping in on Saturday morning than going out in field circus. And, if people are more thankful to me for closing out field circus than to Ted Jaracz for being a jerk, I could then practically take the religion out from under Jaracz. Once that happens, I would be able to really set people free. And that would be the total end of the witlesses.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you really think the cult wants to advertise their GOOFY doctrines via mass media outlets so that everyone will know how messed up they are?

Can you imagine 250 people showing up at the local kingdom hall one Sunday morning for a Watchtower Study, start raising their hands and making comments about what is printed in paragraph # 7 where it says that Jehovah's people are delighted to have the Faithful Slave taking the lead in proclaiming the Good News to the world.

The last thing the cult wants is a lot of people showing up at the same time for one of their reinforcement sessions.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It would cost money. The society wants to collect money....not spend it.

The "preaching work" keeps the rank and file busy...too busy to question, and makes them feel like they are part of something special... The result is that they have a non paid sales force....virtually free distribution, and a ready made customer base for the literature. Why would they change that? The purpose of the society is really not about preaching the "good news" It is about making money and maintaining power and control. The fact that they continue to use the most ineffective means of reaching people proves it.

Coffee

• Casper
    Casper
    The fact that they continue to use the most ineffective means of reaching people proves it.

Another point that shows there is something... Seriously "Wrong" with this religion...

Cas

• lesterd
    lesterd

How much more mass can you get than every eye will see him coming in the clouds? Its HIS game, in HIS time and HIS way, remember HE doesnt need us, the stones would cry out a witness if needed.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This was a conversation I had with my study conductor. I said that if the WT REALLY believed the urgency of their message, I would not be able to turn on my radio or teevee without hearing them proclaim it every hour of the day. I pointed out that other ministries, like Dr. Gene Scott, had a full time presence in broadcasting.

His reply was that the WT tried broadcasting a long time ago and it was not effective.

I showed him the WT yearbook numbers of hours preaching and converts made, and showed how the door to door method that they boasted about was inefficient and getting less effective each year. I asked why Jesus would trust his belongings to stubborn old men who were dead set againt using them wisely to promote kingdom interests.

Got no answer, just hemming and hawing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit