black pudding ?

by applejuice 16 Replies latest jw friends

• applejuice
    applejuice

whilst befriending the JW family who introduced me to all this, they told me about the blood transfusion issues which i knew already, however i am very partial to consuming black pudding (blood sausage to americans) with my breakfast, although i have not had any since my outlook altered i was just wondering if it is ethical to consume such a culinary delight without any implications.

• dinah
    dinah

That would be safe, just don't eat it intravenously.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the elder who studied with me and the hub told us we couldnt even use bloodmeal on the garden..... he specifically mentioned that blood product foods were not to be eaten.... but that info was relayed to us back in early 90's..... may not be current.... you know how the b0rg likes to flip/flop

• applejuice
    applejuice

pardon my ignorance but i am no horticultural expert but why would you put bloodmeal on a garden ?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

A warm welcome applejuice. From a quick glance at your other posts I see you're on a 'quest'. Hopefully, you will realise the smartest thing you could have done initially is to ask questions here, so all the best to you.

Just adding to the black pudding and blood and bone fertilizer mentioned, another one is the insistance by some Witnesses that commercial poultry feed is not used as it contains blood products.

There was a time when certain vaccinations were forbidden because they were cultured in horses blood.

• chickpea
    chickpea

Blood meal is dried, powdered blood used as a high-nitrogen fertilizer. It is one of the highest non-synthetic sources of nitrogen and if over-applied it can burn plants with excessive ammonia. Blood meal is completely soluble and can be mixed with water to be used as a liquid fertilizer. It usually comes from cattle as a slaughterhouseby-product. It may also be spread on gardens to deter animals such as rabbits, or as a compost activator (wikipedia)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Black pudding - bleagghh!can't think why you'd want to eat it anyway lol!

Applejuice, maybe if you're in the UK and only relatively young you won't have heard of 'fish, blood and bone' fertiliser - it was one of the best as it had all the right nutrients for any type of plants - flowers, shrubs, veggies etc - it got banned when BSE was linked to 'unuseable' slaughterhouse byproducts. Chickpea, the elder you speak of (regardless for the moment of the rights and wrongs of what he said) on that basis does seem to have made the correct connection of the possibility of food plants 'drinking' blood and then that passing into the higher food chain - I think the 90's was when the BSE crisis really started so it would make sense for him to say what he did too.

• Sirona
    Sirona

If you are wondering about the JW stance on blood, I would strongly recommend you look at www.ajwrb.org

Since JWs actually ALLOW blood "fractions" and therefore do not abstain from blood anymore, you should be OK eating black pudding. I don't like it myself but I wouldn't have a problem eating it if I liked it.

Sirona

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

no you cant eat it

while jws dont go so far as jews in endeavouring to extract every last drop of blood, they do expect a reasonable attempt to be made to let the blood run from the animal..

that would exclude letting the blood run into a bucket and then allowing the contents of the bucket to congeal and be fried for breakfast

• Casper
    Casper

that would exclude letting the blood run into a bucket and then allowing the contents of the bucket to congeal and be fried for breakfast

Oh, Good Lord.....

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit