need advice on internet radio braodcasting and call-in - HELP

by Dogpatch 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Greetings Gang!

Today is St. Patrick's Day (I'm Irish) and a new project has begun in apostate land.

Gary Busselman and I are going to start a radio talk show on the Internet.

We need your help.

I know nothing of the technology of doing this.

I have a lot of experience on regular radio interviews and talk shows.

As far as I know I am the only "called on" cult expert Los Angeles, so the news services are familiar with me.

Here's what I have in mind and what I need from someone out there.

First the name of the show.

We are thinking the Buss and Watt Show: "What We Meant to Say."

(Watt was my nickname in the pressroom at Bethel, given to me by Thomas Cabeen).

It will be hosted at www.ArmageddonOkies.com .

I choose a subject to discuss, for 45-60 imn.

We have callers.

No doctrinal issues discussed whatsoever.

The theme is social behavior with a humorous bent.

Don't need ideas for what talk about or who to have on or what to say, but...

I need advice on the technology of creating a talk show on Internet using existing services or whatever would be best.

I already have an audience.

I would sincerely welcome your comments,

yours.

Randy Watters

• carla
    carla

I think it's a great idea! Sorry I'm no help just bttt-ing it for you.

• caliber
    caliber

Dear Randy,

It is a priviledge and an honor to converse with you. I am of zero help concerning your radio show idea, however

at this time I wish to publicly acknowledge what a great influence and help you have been in my personal journey!

Your "rules for Christian living" article indeed conveys the simplicity of the Christian message. The word grace is such a short

little word but it has huge impact and meaning for us. Your countless other articles and advise to numerous to detail but which

I have pondered for hours in years gone by have been invalueable.

Forever indebted

Caliber

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

wow, thank you both, esp. caliber!!

Randy

• mouthy
    mouthy

bttp

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

sound interesting. Keep us posted on your progress.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.shoutcast.com/

http://www.live365.com/broadcast/

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-radio.htm

Creating an Internet Radio Station

What do you need to set up an Internet radio station?

• CD player
    • Ripper software (copies audio tracks from a CD onto a computer’s hard drive)
    • Assorted recording and editing software
    • Microphones
    • Audio mixer
    • Outboard audio gear (equalizer, compressor, etc.)
    • Digital audio card
    • Dedicated computer with encoder software
    • Streaming media server

Getting audio over the Internet is pretty simple:

1. The audio enters the Internet broadcaster’s encoding computer through a sound card.
    2. The encoder system translates the audio from the sound card into streaming format. The encoder samples the incoming audio and compresses the information so it can be sent over the Internet.
    3. The compressed audio is sent to the server, which has a high bandwidth connection to the Internet.
    4. The server sends the audio data stream over the Internet to the player software or plug-in on the listener’s computer. The plug-in translates the audio data stream from the server and translates it into the sound heard by the listener.

There are two ways to deliver audio over the Internet: downloads or streaming media. In downloads, an audio file is stored on the user’s computer. Compressed formats like MP3 are the most popular form of audio downloads, but any type of audio file can be delivered through a Web or FTP site. Streaming audio is not stored, but only played. It is a continuous broadcast that works through three software packages: the encoder, the server and the player. The encoder converts audio content into a streaming format, the server makes it available over the Internet and the player retrieves the content. For a live broadcast, the encoder and streamer work together in real-time. An audio feed runs to the sound card of a computer running the encoder software at the broadcast location and the stream is uploaded to the streaming server. Since that requires a large amount of computing resources, the streaming server must be a dedicated server.

For more great information on internet radio and related topics, check out the links on the next page.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

thanks Blondie!

Randy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Randy -

Great idea. I have none of the technical skills needed to put together a smooth program. But I know someone who does!

You have a PM.

Jeff

• pilgrim searcher
    pilgrim searcher

Wish I could help. Blondie seems to have some good suggestions. I was wondering how you were going to coordinate the "air time" with the "telephone-in" time. Another suggestion might be using a local radio station that invites this type discussion if you can provide sponsors. I am not sure how many sponsors one needs to get air time but it may be worth a try. I am good friends with a local Sunday preacher who has a program on KCBQ in San Diego on Sundays from 3 to 4. If this were possible, the station provides everything including a recording of the broadcast for distribution.

Nils

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit