Which is More Important: Doctrinal Correctness or Unity?

by Olin Moyles Ghost 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Lately I have done a lot of thinking about the inevitable discussions I will have with family and friends about my (and their) beliefs. I have begun running through some hypothetical conversations in my mind. Today, I thought of a particular line of reasoning and would like to hear any comments/criticism from the board.

NOTE: I have observed that the "unity" of the organization (i.e., that every JW believes the same doctrines) is impressive to the friends. To many, it strengthens their faith in the organization. It is a "safe harbor" into which Witnesses retreat when they are faced with reasoning that they cannot refute (another common "safe harbor" is the misapplication of John 6:68). The ultimate goal of this hypothetical conversation is to help the (hypothetical!) Witness see that the Society's emphasis on "unity" as being of pivotal importance and as an identifying mark of true Christians runs counter to Scripture.

In this hypothetical conversation, my question is what is more important to God: (1) believing and teaching the truth about him, or (2) unitedly believing and teaching the same things (i.e., "unity").

An honest Witness would say that #2 is more important. If a Witness tried to say that #1 was more important, I would ask him or her what would have happened to a Witness in, say, 1990, who believed and taught that the Generation did not mean those who saw the events of 1914? The only answer to this question is that the Witness who believed and taught this would be disfellowshipped. Therefore, #2 is easily seen as more important to Witnesses. (for further proof, see Hayden Covington's testimony in the Walsh trial)

So, once the Witness admits that #2 is more important, I ask him or her for the scriptural basis for this belief. The only scripture that I can think of that may supports this is 1 Cor. 1:10 (Paul exhorts the congregation to speak in agreement, not have divisions, and be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought").

My counter to 1 Cor. 1:10 is that it needs to be read in harmony with the rest of the Scriptures, such as John 4:24 (worship God with spirit and *truth*), John 8:32 (*truth* will set you free), and Ephesians 6:14 (loins girded with *truth* - i.e., part of spiritual suit of armor). Thus, the Bible seems to make it pretty clear that truth is crucial. In fact, if you read the scriptures in context and as being in harmony with each other, it becomes clear that unity is only worthwhile as long as it is unity in *truthful* teaching.

Realistically, if we get this far into the conversation, the Witness will almost certainly play the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" card. But my point is not necessarily to shoot down the FDS doctrine (we'll save that for later), but to see that the Bible *clearly* teaches that truth is *vital*. But as far as I can tell, it takes some convoluted reasoning to say that unity is as important or more important than truth.

Thanks for reading,

OMG

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Compassion and support since doctrine takes away both at its own pleasure like a u-boat sinking all the supply ships in your life!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well - they call it the truth -so strictly it should be doctrinal correctness - but as we all know , unity is subjection to the FDS is the most important

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

According to WTS, unity at all costs.

momz

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well, unity is important for Christians! However, the Society confuses unity for what they really want, and that is 'uniformity'! Doctrinal theory is almost worthless beyond belief in Christ and has served to divide the body of Christ. So uniformity and the worship of doctrines mark the Watchtower Society as a 'cult' in my opinion.

Outaservice

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Olin,

You've laid out a scheme for an excellent argument. For an honest-hearted JW there is no way around your logic.

Len

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

Olin,

This is precisely the line of reasoning that I am working up for my inevitable confrontation! I'm so happy to see some one else who's planning this out. I'm hoping that playing this line out with my family/elders will show them the sincerity of my actions.

Here's a few other scriptures that I expect out of the pro JW side :

Phil. 1:27-28 - "27 Only behave in a manner worthy of the good news about the Christ, in order that, whether I come and see YOU or be absent, I may hear about the things which concern YOU, that YOU are standing firm in one spirit, with one soul striving side by side for the faith of the good news, 28 and in no respect being frightened by YOUR opponents. This very thing is a proof of destruction for them, but of salvation for YOU; and this [indication] is from God,"

Ps 133:1 - “Look! How good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!”

Heb 13:17 - "17 Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among YOU and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over YOUR souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to YOU."

Here are my arguments for truth's supremacy over "unity" amongst JW's.

Jos 24:14 - "14 “And now fear Jehovah and serve him in faultlessness and in truth, and remove the gods that YOUR forefathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt, and serve Jehovah. "

1 Sam 12:24 - ". 24 Only fear Jehovah, and YOU must serve him in truth with all YOUR heart; for see what great things he has done for YOU."

Ps 25:4, 5 - "4 Make me know your own ways, O Jehovah; Teach me your own paths. 5 Make me walk in your truth and teach me, For you are my God of salvation."

Also Ps 26:3-6; Ps 43:3; Ps 86:11; Isa 38:3; 2 Pe 2:2;

Actually there's a ton of scriptures that I'm working in from the "Truth" heading in the Insight book.

I'm still doing the research on "unity" to head off their attack routes. All of the WT references about unity that I have found so far use such non specific language that it's hard to pick out those few important sentences or scriptures. I've also found a ton of articles about being "united in love" and the like, I actually think I will be able to use those against them. Being united in our love for neighbor and christ does NOT mean the same as being united under the WTBTS and their unique doctrine.

Wow, I got windy, sorry just excited is all.

Looking

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Throughout all of the literature, the one test that householders are to use to see if their religion is true is the doctrinal test. The questions they ask the person are always "does your church teach the false doctrine of ________" It's an amazing double standard. It's not important that Jehovah's Witnesses have been wrong on many things in the past. They're the "truth."

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Unity is nice, and the scriptures emphasize unity, but ultimately, it means dick if it's enforced by threat of punishment. OM's Ghost, ask your friends for what the Apostle Paul had to say about keeping a top-down enforced unity. Read them the first two chapters in Galatians.

If the witnesses really had truth, would they have to kick out people who disagree with some doctrinal points? Since when are differing viewpoints dangerous?

• Carmel
    Carmel

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole world." It's easy to be "unified' with those we have much in common with, however, as Jesus counciled, "Love thy neighbor" is much more a challenge, but worth it in the end. carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit