Today I got diagnosed with PTSD... I thought only people that went to war

by cognac 24 Replies latest watchtower medical

• cognac
    cognac

and things like that got PTSD...

Anyways, my husband and I talked and I said that I can't take the anxiety of going to the meetings anymore, so either I'm not going or I'm bringing and IPOD or something... He's very supportive. He felt bad about pushing me to do it. It's not his fault though, he felt he was being encouraging to me and maybe I didn't tell him just how much anxiety it brings me.

I told the Dr. also about the big chunks of time that I don't remember, looks like I'm not getting Alzheimer's like my Grandmother had. He said I probably got it when I was really young and as I got older it was easier to block things out.

It looks like because since I'm in a much better place in my life that I'm starting to remember things... That's very stressful. I'm a bit nervous and scared about it and what to expect...

Sorry if this post is everywhere... Guess that's how my thoughts are sometimes...

• CHILD
    CHILD

Any person who's survived a horrible experience can suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder . I don't know your story, but people who have suffered natural disasters, rape, torture, narrow escape from death, etc can suffer from PTSD.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Now there's you're way out. Meetings are wasting your time.

• choosing life
    choosing life

When you begin to question, the meetings become unbearable. I used to have extreme anxiety from listening to their constant messages of doom and gloom. That is enough to cause PTSD. I joined that religion because my husband wanted me to, as I guess you did too.

Before I left, I used to read the Bible at the meetings as a way to block out their thoughts. It still became way too much. Glad you're getting help and your husband is being more understanding.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Cognac,

I'm sorry to hear this has happened, but I'm glad you know what it is so you can deal with it. I get angry when hearing what this religion (and some other religions) does to people!!

Are you still signed up as a pioneer? If so, I know that can't be helping. It's good that you have your husband's support on this, and I hope he clearly understands the connection between the JW's and your diagnosis.

I know this is a rough stretch, and hopefully the worst of it will be over soon.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I hope it helps.

• cognac
    cognac
    Now there's you're way out. Meetings are wasting your time.

yeah, at least some good is coming out of this...

I joined that religion because my husband wanted me to, as I guess you did too.

No, I grew up in it...

Are you still signed up as a pioneer? If so, I know that can't be helping. It's good that you have your husband's support on this, and I hope he clearly understands the connection between the JW's and your diagnosis.

Yup, but haven't been out for awhile... I think December... We meet the group and then go out to breakfast... I've been trying to hold out the rest of the service year so that I can just switch cong. and fade... -that's if I don't get d'f for my big mouth... I think hubby understands the connection. He asked if I felt comfortable with the Dr. knowing I was a JW. I said no, I just don't like talking about it. I mean, typing things out is one thing, or saying certain things, but not this type of thing. I don't like it... Anyways, he said that he asked if he could tell the Dr. about it, so I can get the help I need... I said that's fine. He said I held back a lot of things...

• avishai
    avishai

Shoot, I think w/ us born-ins, just getting the crap beat outta so you'd sit still for two hour stretches is enough to give you ptsd, and so the hall and service would be the "trigger" for it.

• cognac
    cognac
    Shoot, I think w/ us born-ins, just getting the crap beat outta so you'd sit still for two hour stretches is enough to give you ptsd, and so the hall and service would be the "trigger" for it.

That and growing up thinking just about every person that you see is going to be executed and it would be all your fault if you didn't do everything you could to make them see the "truth"...

• StAnn
    StAnn

Cognac, I had a terrible case of PTSD. Was off work for 2 1/2 years. All related to my JW upbringing and subsequent df-ing. I had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for 15 days. I too was surprised by that diagnosis but now it makes perfect sense. It's like being a prisoner of war, in a way. I have whole years I don't remember still. I was in therapy for five years. I'm glad your husband supports you. I was completely alone. Now life is good and those days are behind me. Hang in there~you can get through this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit