JW's and Homeschooling

by superman 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I just can't see where home-schooling produces well adjusted social human beings. Growing up as a JW who attended public school, I had hard enough time adjusting to the real world. I know public schools can be inferior to private schools. However, I think your child's education depends on the amount of effort that parents and children put into it, no matter what school they attend. The goal is for them to attend college, right? Move up in the world? Then how will they adjust to college life if they have no social skills?

There are home school groups where children associate with each other and take turns going to different homes for instruction. That is how a local friend of mine does it. Burn

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    I just can't see where home-schooling produces well adjusted social human beings

That's not true in every case. There are some children that are homeschooled that do get to socialize with other children. I've seen groups of homeschooled children at the library & the science center we have in this area. They also have arranged field trips. I think a lot of it depends on the parents teaching skills. There are definetly children that should be public school because there parents do not have the teaching skills that are required for the kids to learn. Every case is different. Home schooled children can a lot of times be more educated from having one on one time verses having to share a teacher with 25 other students.

I decided to live my high school after my sophmore year and take my Junior/Senoir year together to finish early. I had already taken so many courses in high school that I only had about 4-5 credits that I needed to get my diploma. I did do it through a home school program. I did have to go to a certain location to take exams though. After graduating, I did continue my education. I'm now a successful insurance agent with the largest insurance co in USA/Canada. I think I'm a very well adjusted social human. I'm involved in several community clubs, I'm a cheerleading coach, and involved with my son's sports. So...where exactly am I lacking in being social adjusted???

• Casper
    Casper

I was in, during the "Home Schooling" trend. Several families were into it.

My oldest daughter went to public school till 8th grade. We finished High School at home with a Home School program. It cost $700 for the 4 year program. She did her work, took the tests and we mailed them in for grading. She finished the 4 year course and Graduated... I am really proud of her for sticking to it until completed.

My youngest, I home schooled until the 5th grade. When her father died, I just couldn't concentrate enough to really help her. We both went to counseling, where they suggested the best thing for her was public school. It was scary, and hard for her to adjust at first.

She took off with flying colors tho....went to NYC for her Senior trip & Graduated last year....So glad I took their suggestion...

Since they both had some public schooling.... they were able to learn to get along and socialize with others.

I wouldn't do it again tho.......I feel it caused them to miss out on so much.

Cas

• still_in74
    still_in74

I know one JW that turned out very well adjusted socially but lazy when it came to work ethic (cant necessarily blame that on home schooling)

I also know of another family that home-schooled 2 children. By age 7 & 8 neither of the kids could read yet. ??? HELLO????? WTF???

I for one dont agree with home schooling... just too insular if you ask me.

• Deidra
    Deidra

I think that's great babygirl75. Congrats. I took me a long time to adjust to a social life outside of the JW and I went to public schools! Whatever works for you

• StAnn
    StAnn

My oldest son went through the public schools and did very well. I homeschool my two youngest. You really have to consider each child's needs. My oldest would have been miserable at home. My youngest two hated public school and love being home. I don't homeschool for ideology's sake. My youngest are handicapped and medically fragile. Being in public school with lots of other kids, they were always sick and always having seizures. We network with other homeschool families so there is plenty of socialization. Also, the whole "socialization" concept can be better if the kids are at home because they have to learn to socialize with people of various ages. At school, they're in a big group of others the same age they are. They don't learn how to interact well with people of all ages.

In addition to purchasing curriculum, I also get lots of things from our local university library system. Because they offer teacher education, they have all kinds of great stuff like human anatomy kits, science kits, microscopes, and unit studies that can be checked out. We have a great weather kit that we're using right now to study meteorology and a math "bingo" kit that is lots of fun.

I will admit, though, that my kids are my whole life. I don't have time for much else. Homeschooling is all consuming. I'm happy this way but I don't think most people are. And my kids are thriving, which is the goal.

BTW, I used to work in a college library and we had several students who had been homeschooled. They were much better educated than the public school kids. In fact, many colleges, including Harvard and Yale, are now courting homeschoolers because the good ones are often so much better prepared than public school kids.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Oh, two more things. I have two JW nephews who were homeschooled. It was a disaster, only because their parents are unintelligent idiots. They should never have homeschooled anyone. They are socially retarded and academically retarded.

However, given how hard it is to be a JW child in public school, I wish my neice (different sibling) were homeschooled. She's being tormented at public school because of religion. It's very sad. She'll come out of school with major emotional problems, IMO.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

My kids currently learn at home. There are a lot of misconceptions about this choice, and I've grown tired of explaining it from my perspective honestly.

That said, a lot of kids are really failed by the process. For many it was an excuse to simply stop learning and do more in the hall or church. I do have friends whose education ends at about 8th grade, and it is obvious in their choices to this day.

WRT to not reading by age 7, sometimes that reflects a neglect on the part of the educators. However, there is an entire school of thought (popularized through Waldorf philosophies) that supports delayed reading. The concept is similar to that of crawling. At one time parents were proud of kids who walked so early they never learned to crawl. Over time science told us that there is truly a benefit to crawling and having a period of time where one is limited to that mode of movement. Now, we encourage children to crawl before they walk. Some assert that whole language and literacy can actually be stunted by premature reading. In the end, I highly doubt there is a big difference at the college level between a child who learns at 8 and a child who learns at 5.

I suppose what I am saying is that what might appear from an uninformed perspective as neglect can often be a well educated decision. Maybe not the decision you would make, but informed none the less.

My kids are self directed learners, and we currently use a constructivist approach. I don't present information to them to learn, I assist them in acquiring information they seek. My 4 yo reads 3 and 4 letter words and my 6 year old reads chapter books. By creating an environment that answers their questions without presenting information, they've learned this skill as naturally as a young child learns to walk, learns their colors, or learns to eat with a spoon. My kids are about 2 grades ahead in math as well.

As far as them being poorly socialized...eh, hogwash. I often consider public education and we're probably not life long home learners, I certainly have nothing against public school. However, my personal thought is that while children are young and growing socially, it is best to have them learning from a variety of ages instead of surrounding them with peers of the same maturity. My kids have Judo twice a week and their class has children 5-12. They have a 2 hour art class each week where they do more than "handprint turkeys". Stained glass, pottery, watercolors, etc. The kids again range from 5-12. The have yoga as well with adults and children. They have a park day every Friday, the children there range from K-12th. Then of course they learn real life socialization through just living a REAL life. For one, there are three of them and we discuss social norms and ideals all day. They go with me to the grocery store and learn how to let someone with one item go ahead of us in line, to open doors for people behind us, to wait patiently to fill their bag with apples, to say excuse me when they reach in front of someone, etc. They go with me to my friends houses and not only play with other children, but learn to interact and converse with other adults as well.

To suggest that a child who isn't in a formal school setting can't be socially well adapted is really a sheltered perception of the world. There are many ways to achieve many things. Rarely is there one right path to any end... and education is not an exception to this truth.

• VM44
    VM44

Everything I learned I learned from Schaum's outlines.

Seriously, home schooling I would imagine helps children learn on their own.(with some help from the parents)

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    think your child's education depends on the amount of effort that parents and children put into it, no matter what school they attend. The goal is for them to attend college, right? Move up in the world?

That is absolutely correct inour situation. I have never encouraged my son to NOT go to school or college, in fact I never shut up about how necessary higher education is...whether in this world or the next God gave us minds with a thirst for knowledge. It is simply unconcienable to deprive a child of a chance to choose their path and then pursue it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit