I went to church for the FIRST time...

by zeroday 10 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

I was out in CAlifornia visiting the folks when My father and his wife invited me to their church for sunday services...well being out of the borg for 4 years and a devote Atheist I said "Why not"... they go to a nondenominational foursquare church...I first asked if this was Snake night to my suprise NO... SO off I went...the service started with a christian rock band playing christian rock for about half an hour (not bad actually) everyone either standing or kneeling with outstreached hands the whole time...then the pastor got up and began his sermon titled:

"The right way to die" OK I'm getting a little weirded out here and expect a punch bowl of koolaid to appear at anytime now... NOT so it was about getting right with God at the time of our death to meet the lord in Heaven...all in all a very nice service and very nice people but I did not get the "tap on the shoulder" I was expecting I guess it's for the believing only...

• real one
    real one

cool

• Satanus
    Satanus

'I did not get the "tap on the shoulder"'

I wouldn't worry about it. I have it on good authority that even atheists go to heaven (if they want) ;)

S

• esw1966
    esw1966

I'm glad you had a great time! I go a non-denominational church up here in Bellingham. I LOVE it! They play the Christian rock music too! You come in late and you hear the drums pounding.

Regardless if you felt the tap or not, it was a good experience and it sounds like you had a good time with good people! Sounds like a good trip!

• tinker
    tinker

What is it about visiting California and going to Church? I entered my VERY 1st Ever Catholic Church this past Christmas Eve. We were out and about and near mid-night and passing a lovely old Spanish style church and said, Why Not pop in. Just out of curiosity you understand. We felt a little weird but then it was really nice and very beautiful with candle lite and a choir singing.

It was a full house. Must be a popular tradition for whole families to attend Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, who knew? And my favorite part, at the end everyone turns to their neighbor and shakes hands and say, Peace be with you.

• hmike
    hmike
    I did not get the "tap on the shoulder" I was expecting I guess it's for the believing only...

Could be a seed was planted...

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Could be a seed was planted...

Maybe...won't be out to CA for a few more months would probably go back with the folks...

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Oh I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I wouldn't worry about it. I have it on good authority that even atheists go to heaven (if they want) ;)

At least there won't be any more disagreement!

Burn-looking forward to meeting lots of former atheists.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Oh I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :)

I was a little suprised by the emotions showed at the service having not seen anything like it in 28 years of a JW kind of refreshing...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit