Hitchens with Maher - JWs highest turnover rate.

by Mincan 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan

http://www.youtube.com/wat ch?v=f4O38bXNWC8

Apologies if this has been posted already.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is what Bill Maher was referring to:

• Zico
    Zico

I find it interesting that the rate of those raised JWs who join another religion is almost equal to the amount who choose to stay in. That's surprised me actually.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Cool thanks for the link. The lowest rate JW! 37% Wow! It's funny that they don't show that statistic in the annual report.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Interesting that they have more than double the number who don't convert to another religion than other Christian groups. There's been some discussion lately about whether ex-JWs have a greater proportion of atheism than the general population.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

JWs are simply not a life-time religion; meaning that either your life sucked so bad prior to becoming a JW and now you're just happy to be around, or you life will suck tremendously growing up as one, having nothing to convert from.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Whew! So I'm not crazy. I'm gonna go home and tell my family that there is a 63% chance that my sister won't be a witness and she will love me and my evil lifestyle. Mwhahaha.

Hell, I'll go home and tell her that she's gay as well and just send her into a histrionic seizure or something.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    There's been some discussion lately about whether ex-JWs have a greater proportion of atheism than the general population.

That would explain the large number of atheists on the board here. Judging by the numbers half of JWD's members should be.

Kwin

• steve2
    steve2
    Interesting that they have more than double the number who don't convert to another religion than other Christian groups.

Be ware of (unintentionally misusing) statistics: The only reason the JWs have double the number who don't convert to another religion is because the other religions are more successful at retaining their members; hence those religions don't lose their members to either no-religion or other-religions. Keep in mind also that just under one-third of those raised in JW households convert to another religion.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I'm gonna go home and tell my family that there is a 63% chance that my sister won't be a witness

Actually, the odds are much higher than that.

In my experience, the older generation of dubs who were raised "in the truth" were more likely to stay "in" than the newer generation. In five congos over 30 years, I saw the number of dub kids who stayed the course decline dramatically beginning in the 80s and 90s. The survey suggests that 63% of dub kids take a walk when they grow up, but what I saw suggests that if the survey were limited to young people (say, under 30), the figures would be much higher - on the order of 75%.

Even if a 63% "loss" is accurate, that's unthinkable for an organization to promotes itself as having a direct line to the God of the Universe, who - as they so often preach - created the family. If He created families, and if he called the dubs together as His special people, wouldn't he be able to keep the families together? Wouldn't "God's People" be exemplary in maintaining lifelong relationships with their own children?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit