China purges cats for the Olympics

by frozen one 14 Replies latest social current

• frozen one
    frozen one

I own cats. This news story about the latest move in China's preperations for the Olympic Games is just nuts. I avoid buying products made in China whenever possible (almost impossible). I guess this will be another reason for me not to watch the Olympics.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Didn't Athens do it too?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

On the "bright" side - at least they aren't being boiled alive in pressure cookers as happens in Korea

• Exterminator
    Exterminator

Strays threaten to take over Beijing

The capital is facing an uncontrollable increase in the number of stray animals.

A recent survey by a non-profit group showed more of the strays have been found downtown.

By the end of last year, about 400,000 strays were found wandering around Beijing's residential areas, in parks or university campuses.

"Cats, for instance, have an amazing ability to reproduce. If left unattended, a pair of stray cats can produce hundreds of thousands of kittens, or even a million, within seven or eight years," Beijing Human and Animal Environmental Protection Center head Zhang Luping said.

(www.chinanews.cn, China Daily 2007-11-20)

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

You can bet your ass I'm boycotting the Olympics ! They never should have had it there to begin with ! As for, "Strays threaten to take over Beijing", there are humane ways to handle such issues but China sure doesn't use them !

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Humane ways aren't cost effective. :p

Poor kitties. :(

• JH
    JH

I love cats, and I hate any one who treats them badly.

Chinese seem to treat domestic animals like any other animal you can eat. They have no respect for domestic animals.

I hate China and it's leaders. Their days are numbered, either by war or Armageddon.

• JH
    JH

I feel like roasting a Chinese "cat hater" for dinner

• Satanus
    Satanus

Boycott the olympics. China is like on great big org. Individual thought has been expunged since about 2000 yrs, when chin, the first emperor established the country.

S

Ps, on second thought, the olympics might leave behind some 'decadent' western individualism.

• kwr
    kwr

http://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160

Hopefully this book will help the Chinese in their task.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit