Recent qutters, do you even have a social structure now?

by oompa 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I am very surprised at the replies you have gotten on this Oompa!

I was always outgoing and a "people person" too....but when I left the WTS in 1999, I was tied down with a handicapped (11 year old) grandson that has Asperger's Syndrome that demanded constant attention that high-functioning autistics do.....so that getting together with others our age was out of the question. We could not take him to anyone's home to visit---nor could we invite anyone to our home because our grandson acted out and misbehaved. The few times we attempted this it was a disaster.

By the time he was placed in a group home because we could not care for his particular teen-age needs any longer...my health went south when I suffered two strokes and a few other complications after that. I can't get out very much to MAKE new friends and have done very well in making some absolutely terrific online friends.

If I was able to drive, and get where I would have liked to....I would be a social butterfly and join clubs, do volunteer work and get MUCH more involved in the community. I have had to be content with what life has dealt to me, and I have made the most of what I could.....but I urge you folks not to waste time but get out and DO things you enjoy! You just never know when it might all be stopped FOR you!

There is a whole WORLD out there, with all sorts of interests to look into and try out.....and lots of people that share those interests! The WTS kept us so busy in THEIR pursuits....it is OUR turn to enjoy life the way WE want to now!

hugs,

Annie

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Hummm I call dibs on Sunspot. My kids need another grandparent in their lives.

I have an almost constant litany of things going thru my mind when I meet people. I am uncomfortable in new situations and am actually quite shy. I have to force myself to be more outgoing and I am now reaping the rewards. GASP! "worldly" people can be really really nice.

When someone asked to go for coffee I used to make an excuse. Now I jump at the chance and make firm plans. I think my biggest obstacle is getting over being taught that people who aren't JW's are bad.

Para calls me a social butterfly now. There used to be just stuff for the kids on the calendar, now my name pops up. Poor man sometimes even has to come home on time from work so I can go out. HAHAHAHAHHAHHAH I LOVE IT.

Bobbi

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Now instead of a congregation,

I enjoy a sort of conglomeration.

• oompa
    oompa
    Bobbi:Hummm I call dibs on Sunspot. My kids need another grandparent in their lives.

Dammm you beat me to it......: unbelievalble.............oompa....

• oompa
    oompa
    sunspot...I am very surprised at the replies you have gotten on this Oompa!

is this because of my stupid qutters in the subject line?..................oompa

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Nope, very few friends or social life to speak of...many weekends go by without my phone ringing a single time and when it does ring it's my mom or my dad calling...in fact I just checked my cell phone "received calls log" and I've received 5 calls in the past month and every one of them has been either my mom or my dad...Friends are like women to me - I want them but I don't understand how you get them...

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

My mommy always said, "to have a friend you have to be a friend".

Send me your number and I will phone and yap your ear off.

Then you will have at least one friend other than your folks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit