Postcard Marketing Knocking to JWs: "Governing Body Approved Interviews"

by cabasilas 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I got the large postcard today that apparently is designed to market the movie Knocking to JWs. Under "Knocking Opens the Door on Jehovah's Witnesses," it states:

Knocking was broadcast on PBS and written about in Newsweek, USA Today and newspapers from Detroit to Dallas. Despite stellar reviews and winning four "Best Documentary" awards, many Jehovah's Witnesses have not had an opportunity to view the DVD. Some critics spread false rumors and even boasted how Knocking would fail once Witnesses were scared away. But if you saw Knocking, you know it enlightens the public about who Jehovah's Witnesses really are. This postcard is for you. Please share it with friends who will appreciate seeing Knocking as much as you did.

While the postcard is careful to state:

Watchtower had no editorial content over the final product or how its images were used

It has several comments that reveal how closely the Watchtower Society collaborated with the making of Knocking.

For example, on the front of the postcard is this statement:

Knocking features official, Governing Body-approved interviews of Bethel staff:

Under the heading "Facts About Knocking and the Watchtower Society," the postcard says:

The Watchtower Society accepts phone inquiries about its participation in Knocking. Call 718-560-5000 weekdays from 8am to 5pm EST and ask for the Office of Public Information.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses approved on-camera interviews with members of Bethel staff. It also granted a licensing agreement to the producers of Knocking to use Watchtower-owned archival photos, artwork and audio/visual recordings.

To ensure accuracy, members of the Watchtower Legal Department and Office of Public Information screened the historical and doctrinal content of Knocking. Copies of the DVD were provided to members of the Governing Body and U.S. Branch Committee.

For those interested, a PDF of the postcard (just under 1 MB) can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=2186638f2eda14d4d82521ef6f733a40

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Isn't it just funny that they can go to all the time and trouble to make postcards about this and distribute them like crazy........

....yet not one public talk/announcement/apology/acknowledgement to ANY witnesses about the pedophile cases and settlements. Half of them have never even heard about it. alt

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Thank you for this, I was trying to find one of these.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you cabasilas! Like AO said, I was trying to find one of these to! Great job!

N.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Does "licensing agreement" mean that they get money?

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

The postcard states that the Watchtower provided the materials at no cost to the producers of the film.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I don't get it. Are these postcards being mailed out? Who is paying for it? Guess I haven't been following the "knocking" threads.

• kwr
    kwr

The postcards are being paid for by the production company.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    The postcards are being paid for by the production company.

OK - who are the recipients? Is this really a mass mailing?

• kwr
    kwr

Well I ordered the DVD when it came out and I received a postcard from the production company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit