No birthdays doctrine destroyed

by DoomVoyager 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    certain customs that are common today are clearly not in harmony with Bible principles.

The word clearly is used to make it seem there is no question about this practice being wrong, yet i have never met a JW that could clearly enuciate exactly why it is wrong.

• searcher
    searcher

As always the org speaks out of both sides of its mouth.

'Its not biblical'........JW's are pointed toward this writing to keep them in line.

'Its a personal decision'..............non JW's are pointed toward this writing to 'prove' that JW's are not a controled people.

• Superslave
    Superslave

Didn't Jobs son's celebraite their birthday? Im sure this is one that the Borg try to keep quiet about.

The birthday thing is really stupid.

• oompa
    oompa
    DoomV: Your Awake quote:

The Concern of Christians

When a Christian must decide whether or not to follow a certain custom, his main concern should be, What is God’s viewpoint as expressed in the Bible?

In this same article, how does it go from "God's viewpoint expressed" to this:

Likewise, certain customs that are common today are clearly not in harmony with Bible principles. Among these are non-Biblical traditions connected with religious holidays such as Christmas and Easteror with superstitious practices related to spiritism.

WT gets to decide if the "principle" or "viewpoint of God" is really in the Bible don't they? I think we should be able to clearly discern God's viewpoint if he put them in the Bible and screw the "principle" of things...................oompa

• Maddie
    Maddie

Don't you just love them?

Maddie

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Stupid man made rules...I'm sure the Faithful Slave class just stand in a circle and flip a coin. Fred Franz= "Birthdays......{flip}.......Ohhhh Tails! No Birthdays!.......Okay wedding rings........{flip}............Yeah heads, Sydlik you Bastard I owe you 10 bucks."

• fokyc
    fokyc
    but behold the January 8th Awake!, 2008, pages 26-27;

There is now only 1 Awake each month,

I have just checked all this years Awake's and this article just does't seem to be there!

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Puzzled,

fokyc

• fokyc
    fokyc
    but behold the January 8th Awake!, 2008, pages 26-27;

There is now only 1 Awake each month,

I have just checked all this years Awake's and this article just does't seem to be there!

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Puzzled,

fokyc

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Sorry - my mistake. The article is in the January 8th, 2000 Awake!.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wouldn't get my hopes up that soon birthdays will be OK. They seem to be cracking down on valueless things, including any fun. And, it will probably be lumped along with valueless things. Which sucks.

Now, my view on birthdays. First, if you are going to follow the Bible, you will notice that Job's sons celebrated their "special days", which would mean birthdays with logic that is no more specious than the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has come up with to ban birthdays. And, Luke 2:10-14 blatantly tells of perfect angels celebrating Jesus' birthday. That blatantly contradicts the Tower view of Christmas being unscriptural. Based solely on this, birthdays are not unscriptural.

Additionally, does celebrating a birthday violate the Prime Law (that is, the law that would, if followed, allow society to flourish)? Anyone that can show how volitionally celebrating one's birthday amounts to initiatory force, threat of force, coercion, or fraud (without lying to do so) could post a logical reply to the effect. As far as I know, it doesn't. Celebrating birthdays, therefore, is not morally wrong.

What are the fruitages of celebrating birthdays? No, I am not advocating going out and getting plastered drunk or stoned and then driving (that is, unlike celebrating birthdays, genuinely harmful). I see absolutely no harm in children opening up the presents and eating cake and ice cream. To the contrary, children look forward to opening up their presents. They remember what it is like to anticipate it, and then have fun that day. The balloons and party items add to the good times. Generally, the worst after-effect of these parties is the mess left to clean up. But, it is worth having the children having fun for spending an hour or two cleaning up a mess.

No, I am not for forced birthday celebrations. Many people choose not to celebrate their birthdays, and that is OK. Some are depressed around that time. And, it is common for singles with birthdays nearing 30 and higher to not want to be reminded that they are getting old. Many people will dread their 30th, 40th, 50th, and 60th birthdays for that reason alone. But, those who do enjoy celebrations (and especially children) should be allowed the free option to celebrate their, or their friends', birthdays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit