"This Generation" of 1914, ended in 1995. When did teaching begin?

by Fatfreek 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

As far as I can tell with Google searches, it began sometime in the '60s. Can someone confirm this? Is that also when Awake, page 4, began its classic statement, "... before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away." We all know that ended with the October 22, 1995 issue.

Before that, were they looking for "the events of 1874" or some other date?

Len Miller

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

They taught that 1874 was the invisible return of Jesus until 1929 as far as I can tell. So for a year after they were "chosen" in 1919 they didn't even know it as 1929 is when they stated that teaching as well.

• bob1999
    bob1999

I think it was 1943 but I haven't found it yet.

But here's this...

"Because there is a great crowd of people of good will today living who will survive the world catastrophe of Armageddon and enter the world of new heavens and new earth without going down into the grave or ever afterward having the need to die and cease to exist. That means that Armageddon is so near at hand it will strike the generation now living." ("You May Survive Armageddon into God's New World," Watchtower Bible & Tract Society: Brooklyn NY, 1955, p.11).

and

"We know Armageddon is near for another reason. Jesus said that the generation of people living when the `time of the end' began would not pass away before Armageddon breaks out. When did Jesus say this? When he told us about the many parts of the sign of the `time of the end.' That sign is made up of different happenings. All these happenings must come upon one generation to make up the sign. Since 1914 they have come. What does this mean? Jesus answers: `When you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly 1 say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' (Matthew 24: 33, 34) Many are the people alive since 1914 who will still be living when it is time for Armageddon to begin." ("From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained ," Watchtower Bible & Tract Society: Brooklyn NY,

I'm still looking for the 1943 quote.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"We know Armageddon is near for another reason. Jesus said that the generation of people living when the `time of the end' began would not pass away before Armageddon breaks out. When did Jesus say this? When he told us about the many parts of the sign of the `time of the end.' That sign is made up of different happenings. All these happenings must come upon one generation to make up the sign. Since 1914 they have come. What does this mean? Jesus answers: `When you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly 1 say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' (Matthew 24: 33, 34) Many are the people alive since 1914 who will still be living when it is time for Armageddon to begin." ("From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained ," Watchtower Bible & Tract Society: Brooklyn NY, 1958, p.205).

• bob1999
    bob1999

"The thirty-six intervening years since 1914, instead of postponing Armageddon, have only made it nearer than most people think. Do not forget: 'This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.' (Matt. 24:34)" (Watchtower, 1 November 1950, p. 419).

• V
    V

Marked for reference

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Ah, I found a 1952 source.

*** w52 9/1 p. 543 Questions From Readers ***

Some persons living A.D. 1914 when the series of foretold events began will also be living when the series ends with Armageddon. All the events will come within the span of a generation. There are hundreds of millions of persons living now that were living in 1914, and many millions of these persons could yet live a score or more years.

It would be good if you could find that 1943 source, especially if it's in scan format.

Len

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hey, Bob. Great find. The beauty of 1950 is that it's source can be found on the WT Library CD.

Am still looking whether there's a scan out there of an early (say, 1950's?) Awake, page 4.

Len

• oompa
    oompa
    This Generation" of 1914, ended in 1995. When did teaching begin?

Post 1027 of 1027
    since 02-May-05

67 y 4 m 2 d

Len, dang this yellow... please clarify your questions/subject line..."this generation" did not end in 1995 as some are still alive today. The teaching changed then, that "generation" was not a real timespan of life...puke.

I have posted a similar thread looking for when 1914 was first even posted as the second second JW coming of Jesus instead of 1874 (funny how convenient both were fraking invisible, and NOBODY noticed either one). And I think it was around 1925....What exactaly are you looking for?

....................oompa

As far as I can tell with Google searches, it began sometime in the '60s. Can someone confirm this? Is that also when Awake, page 4, began its classic statement, "... before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away." We all know that ended with the October 22, 1995 issue.

Before that, were they looking for "the events of 1874" or some other date?

Len Miller

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Here's a great graphic from (I think) The Truth that leads to Eternal Life,1968.

Does anyone have a better quality scan?

Oompa, you are right about my confusing thread title. I meant The teaching of This Generation of 1914 ended in 1995. When did it begin?

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit