I Pondered God's Existence Today, and

by journey-on 45 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Ponder this scenario:

An alien "scientist" totally unfamiliar with the human and its anatomy comes to earth and sees a human sleeping. It sees no other humans around, so has no frame of reference to evaluate this creature nor understand what it is doing.

The alien slices into the man’s skull and pulls out the brain. Not possessing any internal organs of its own at all, the alien wonders about this mound of grayish wrinkled flesh.

He holds up the brain with his malleable fin-like appendage and examines it. He takes it back to his ship’s laboratory and begins to pull it apart, cut into it, and examine it under the microscope. Without anything but this 3 lb. mass of tissue to go by, what can this alien determine about the human brain and human consciousness if he were able to keep it alive while examining it?

We ourselves know within this wrinkled gray blob that a billion things are taking place such as:

·

Thoughts are being generated, accommodated, and assimilated.

·

Emotions are roiling up and our reactions to them are being displayed.

·

We recognize a sunset and translate it into awesome beauty.

·

We see our lover and feel joy and tenderness.

·

We feel alive and exhilarated as we walk along the beach.

·

We read a book and are moved and educated by the words of others.

· We make decisions, create works of art, listen to music, play games.

Just because this alien creature does not have the frame of reference nor the tools to see into the depths of the invisible realm of thought and consciousness, does that mean thought and consciousness doesn’t exist? Will he look at that brain (the universe) and see nothing but a physical conglomeration of stars, planets, galaxies, black holes, comets, asteroids, cosmic gasses, etc. etc. and say "that’s all this is", a physical mechanism of cosmic movement.

Just because he does not see the consciousness and the interplay of thought and feeling, does not mean there isn’t something invisibly wonderful taking place between the "synapses" connecting it all.

I believe in the Eternal One…..a creator of unimaginable glory. If I can look at the human brain and see only the gray flesh, the firing of neurons and the electrical and chemical interplay taking place, but cannot see the thoughts, the emotions, the understandings, the creativity, inspiration, and the CONSCIOUSNESS itself resulting from this interplay, then I am blind to the greater invisible realm generated by this "brain".

The Universe is a macrocosm, imo, of the human brain. It’s a physical mechanism, but it is housing a Consciousness beyond anything we can imagine (as yet).

This is how I see The Creator, The Eternal One, the Universal Intelligent Force…..God. Why does that sound implausible?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I believe in the Eternal One…..a creator of unimaginable glory

So do I.

I, too, am awed by the complexity of our brain. At one time, I was great at what is now called multi-tasking. I could read a book, do a crossword puzzle, and listen to a lecture all at once and never miss a beat.

At work, if anyone needed anything, I was the person to consult. After I suffered a breakdown in 2005, I had trouble remembering my phone number! Just to imagine Someone who never loses His fire power is mind-boggling. No wonder the prophecy is that every knee will bend when this Person fully reveals Himself to all.

Good on you, Journey-On for tackling this subject.

Sylvia

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Im feeling what your saying dude

There has to be an inteligent designer.

Just dont go slicing into anyones brain to figure this out, please.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Conciousness is imaginary, as is god.

• journey-on
    journey-on

DoomVoyager,

Why do you say that? I'm conscious. I just read your reply and responded to it. Please elaborate.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

What is consciousness? A bunch of nerves firing in a certain sequence? It's intangible. If I wanted to prove god's existence I doubt I'd liken him to consciousness.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Exactly....you proved my point. And even though these "nerves" firing in a certain sequence produce consciousness,

the consciousness remains. What you learn, what you create, what you become from these random firings may

indeed be intangible, but they create what and who you are and that is what remains. The unseeable creates what

is seen.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Sounds like you're a Deist. I never understood what the big deal of believing in an unseeable, unknowable, impersonal god was. I mean, if he's never going to affect your life in the least, why bother trying to justify belief to yourself?

Also, I mean to say "nerve cells"; the lack of an edit function on here is really irritating.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Journey On - I like the idea. I have often thought about it in reverse :

God is the brain and WE are the consciousness, we are the signals that the neurons fire around, we are the thoughts.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    if he's never going to affect your life in the least, why bother trying to justify belief to yourself?

Because it does affect your life. By tapping into that Higher Consciousness, you may be able to taste a bit of the godly.

Become more inspired

Become more creative

Develop more love and joy

Understand your fellowman a little better

Be more open to learning new things

Become more appreciative of Life itself

Recognize that you yourself are a tool by which the Universal Intelligence experiences this physical plane.

(And countless other positives)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit