My life - A brief history. Part 1

by Galileo 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• inkling
    inkling
    Have you read the Salmon of Doubt?

Yeah, a few years ago. Funny, now that I think about it, that book was a powerful seed
    of critical thinking, and caused some of the first significant cracks in my fundamentalism.

The world is in debt to Douglas Adams.

[inkling]

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

how cool! Welcome and thank you for sharing. I can't wait for the rest of the story.

lisa

• ChattyCathie
    ChattyCathie

Hi Galileo,

Thanks for sharing Part 1 of your life. Looking forward to Part 2. We all have similar experiences,. and sad they have spanned over several decades of our lives. I am 2nd generation and Baptized a JW 25 years ago at age 18. I am now 40 this year and my confidence has increased with age and now I am not going to sit back and just accept their interpretation of the Bible. I thought at one time I must be reading a different version of the Bible asI wasn't seeing the same.

Cathie

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

look another newbie...*runs over and gives Cathie a hug*

love your user name. Welcome

hurry up and tell us your story. I mean, when your ready.

lisa

• Sirona
    Sirona

Galileo

That was a good read. Thanks.

You will find that there are quite a number of Ex JWs who are highly intelligent and who also missed out on college. I'm a member of mensa (not proof of that much, I admit, lol)

I totally understand your frustration at having not been supported during your education.

Sirona

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Welcome to the board Galileo and thanks for sharing.

When all the peices of the so called truth started falling into place, all the questioning that followed and the frantic research, pluse a dozen or so other voices adding in the 5c makes the transition maddening.

Looking forward to part 2

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Interesting and well written--if part 2 doesn't include you finally getting to college, please know that I didn't start until I was almost 32 and didn't graduate until I was 35.

• Galileo
    Galileo

"You will find that there are quite a number of Ex JWs who are highly intelligent and who also missed out on college."

Of this I am quite certain. It is one of the reasons I stressed my early academic potential. The story of what this group does to their children, the opportunities it robs that have lifelong implications, is a story I felt needed to be told. It resonates with almost everyone that was raised "in the truth". I am sure it has been written about by many others, unfortunately, my experience is far from unique.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good read. You write clearly and well.

Welcome to the board.

Sylvia

• mind my own
    mind my own

Hello and welcome! Please post the rest of your story, it's fascinating!

MMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit