help me choose a new mp3 player please?

by carla 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I have a 4 GB Zune.

It's pretty cool.

• PEC
    PEC

Now for a stupid question. Do iPods play standard mp3 files? I have thousands of files and am not going to spend hundreds of hours converting them to another format, that will not let me share them. I lost some files that I hadn't saved in non DRM format (I still have the files they are just useless) when WMP on my computer just stopped decoding any DRM content. I bought my first mp3 player last week, it plugs into a car cigarette lighter and broadcasts to your fm radio, it has a USB port, an IR remote and comes with a cable to hook up your iPod, $29 at Wal-Mart.

Philip

• brinjen
    brinjen

Yes, iPods will play standard mp3 files.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I have one of the Sansa MP3 players. Right now, I only have the 1 GB candybar style mp3 players, but I didn't buy it for the space it offered, but rather, it offered features you don't get on the IPod, which is an FM radio and an expandable card slot.

I am somewhat satisfied with my mp3 player (I wish it played video, but I'm upgrading soon anyway and giving this other one to my fiancee) but if I had the choice, I would buy one of the Sansa mp3 players with video, just because of the expandability factor.

• Plummet
    Plummet

I'm really happy with my Philips Go Gear. It has withstood a few years of Janitorial work and still works great. I didn't get an iPod because I was told that the software for it would change all my mp3s into another format that can only be read by the apple software. That it would change every mp3 on my computer. Is that true?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I was told that the software for it would change all my mp3s into another format that can only be read by the apple software. That it would change every mp3 on my computer. Is that true?

No. iTunes does not do anything to the file formats of existing music on your PC.

IPods will play at least MP3, MP4, AAC (Apple's proprietary format). They will not play WMA (Window's proprietary format).

MP3 encoding will give a somewhat brighter sound (more treble) whereas AAC encoding will give a somewhat fuller, mid-to-bass sound (less treble). When loading CDs into iTunes, choose the encoding you prefer.

While not an evangelist, I do like the iPod (although the multiple buttons on the third generation are a bit of a pain to adapt to). I still use a first generation 5GB when out washing cars and doing yard work, have had a few other models and currently my "workhorse" is a fourth generation 80GB video model. Never thought I'd use the video feature, but have really enjoyed transferring a couple season's worth of TV for trips.

I've used a few MP3 players in the past, just about anything will do the job (and flash memory based are better for rough and tumble and for kids!), but have come to appreciate the design and interface of the iPod. I like the Creative Zen line, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit