Making it through the public talk Vol. 1

by lookingnow25 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

I dread meetings, like all of you that still attend I'm sure, but I have found a way to enjoy the Sunday meeting again anyway. It's become my "personal study" time if you will. I follow along with the speakers scriptures and ignore all of the fluff in between. This has led me to some interesting verses by reading the context around them, and to some WT references that I wouldn't have read otherwise. Here's my tidbit from this Sunday's talk.

It was something about choosing Jehovah's side...

Scripture : Mt. 15:9 - NWT : "It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines."

Reference 1 : WT 82 7/15 pg. 17 "9 The Jewish Pharisees zealously advocated rules. Not content with the Mosaic law, they developed numerous rules or “commands of men” that invalidated God’s commands. Besides developing these rules that went beyond what God asked, their legalistic outlook encouraged the view that righteousness could result from knowing and keeping these human regulations.—Matthew 15:1-20; 23:1-5; Luke 18:9-12.

Counter reference 1a : AW 99 pg. 2/8 pg. 16 "Many popular styles of the ’90’s find their seeds in such fringe cultures of yesteryear as the hippie movement in Western society of the ’60’s. Beards, unkempt long hair, and bedraggled clothing announced a rejection of traditional values. But the dress of rebellion also kindled a new conformity, a new peer pressure." (NO BEARDS. Ask any Bethelite if this is a true "rule". They will say yes.)

Counter reference 1b : AW 96 11/22 pg. pg. 22 "For a Christian youth, the issue is not what is acceptable among one’s peers but what is “acceptable to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:10) Besides, what kind of youths are drawn to alternative rock? Youths who seem to be happy, balanced, and interested in spiritual things? Or does it seem to find its audience primarily among youths who are disgruntled, unhappy, or even angry? True, some youths with cheery, upbeat personalities may still be drawn to alternative rock. But consider this: Christians, young and old, have a bright future awaiting them. (2 Peter 3:13) The apostle Paul reminds us of the certainty of the fulfillment of God’s promises, saying: “It is impossible for God to lie.” (Hebrews 6:18) What point is there, then, in exposing yourself to the bleak, negative view of the future that some alternative rock songs express? Could becoming absorbed in music that expresses fear, despair, and hopelessness undermine your faith? Furthermore, what effect might a steady diet of such music have on your emotional outlook?" (NO ALTERNATIVE ROCK. Seriously? Are you sure that's in the bible?)

Reference 2 : WT 51 pg. 326 "7...The Bible does not need the addition of uninspired traditions prattled by men to make it complete: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”—2 Tim. 3:16, 17, NW"

Counter reference 2a : WT 81 2/15 p.19 "Rather, the record that the “faithful and discreet slave” organization has made for the past more than 100 years forces us to the conclusion that Peter expressed when Jesus asked if his apostles also wanted to leave him, namely, “Whom shall we go away to?” (John 6:66-69) No question about it. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the “faithful and discreet slave” organization." (WTBTS is likening themselves to Jesus here. They are putting the value of their teachings on par with Jesus')

Counter reference 2b : WT 81 8/15 p.28 "They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25! Jesus and his apostles warned against such lawless ones." (PUT THAT BIBLE DOWN AND PICK UP A WATCHTOWER!)

Refernce 3 : WT 60 pg. 530 "4...: “It is in vain that they keep paying respect to me.” (Matt. 15:8, 9) 5 Even when a person is convinced that the religious doctrines he formerly believed were not Scriptural and his way of life was not truly Christian, when it comes to his abandoning such a religion, especially if it is the religion of his parents, it can be very difficult. Of course, if the other members of his family love God’s Word they will be glad to know from him what it teaches, but if not, they may be bitter in their opposition. Unable to refute the Bible truth, they may demand that the newly interested one stop associating with Jehovah’s people. To keep him from further study, they may even destroy his Bible study literature. By his patience, by his tactfully speaking about the Bible when appropriate, and by his right conduct he will lovingly try to help his relatives to see the truth; but in some cases persons who have expressed their sincere desire to serve Jehovah God have been disowned by their relatives. "

Counter reference 3a : Speaks for itself.

I hope a few of you enjoyed those quotes. Maybe it will give you some more ammo to hate the WT with, or maybe to discuss with your families, or maybe just a laugh.

Later,
    Looking

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

wow, i really want to read this, but, it's making my head spin. can you put it in paragraphs?

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

Better?

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

Well done.

I think you have found a great way to spend your time at the meetings.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    NWT : "It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines."

Here is the evidence that they are a cult, as they do just exactly this ! They put a group of 12 men between the man and the Christ and this is unchristian !

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another specious reason to ban alt rock. They ban it because (hmm, head scratch)-..--because some people that do not believe in the Watchtower Society listen to it. People that they describe as miserable (they don't have the joy and glee from spreading the cancer to everyone on the planet) and hopeless (lacking the delusion of living forever in paradise or that see it accurately as full of stagnation) listen to it, and we wouldn't want to be like them. They also tell us that some alt rock is debasing, so all alt rock is off limits.

Seems that they did that with rap and heavy metal back in 1993. Some was bad, so we are now banning any of it. As for "death metal", I have looked it up on Google and did not find it all to be as bad as the Watchtower Society portrays. But, they tell people that they shouldn't get a taste for a genre that contains a few bad songs. And they tell us that listening to it amounts to worshiping the groups (I happen to have every major CD from 50 Cent, but I do not have even one poster or other memoralia item from him, for the record).

Now, I am going to throw it back in their faces. According to their own standards, pretending to be Jehovah God is blasphemous (they claim Adam did that sin). But, what happens when you sing a Kingdumb Malady with lyrics claiming that the singer is Jehovah Himself without quotes that would indicate that it is only quoting Him? Songs 27 and 61 fit this description. Lyrics like "I Will Help You Reach Your Goal" are included therein, indicating that only Jehovah could be singing this without the quotation marks (neither of them have them). True, most Kingdumb Maladies do not have this flaw. But, would you want to develop a taste for a style of singing that is tainted with this kind of blasphemy? You might wish to think about this, and get rid of any Kingdumb Maladies.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Original poster; Been doing this for at least a year. It's the only way to survive a public talk. Thank dog they made them 30 minutes now.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I survived the meetings by brushing up on my Spanish. Looked up the scriptures and wrote down 10 to 20 new words every week--I far as anyone could tell, I was taking notes. No one seemed to notice that I wasn't using an English Bible. I only attended because my father needed a ride.

Bonnie

• Room 215
    Room 215

I still survive the occasional talk my wife drags me to by reading a text and then looking up the marginal footnotes which take you to other, related texts -- also, during the WT study, the secondary articles, many of which can actually be quite interesting when they relate to historical characters -- translators or other leaders of various movements, i.e Wycliffe, Luther, Calvin, etc., help be to tune out the droning of inane questions and answerings of the study itself.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Additionally, I would look up contiguous scriptures. Once I get in one spot, I would look at adjacent passages and put the whole thing in context. I wonder what would happen today if I were to get caught doing that now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit