Real One and Immorality

by hamilcarr 28 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Under that scheme, something you yourself find morally abhorrent would possibly not be so to a different moral agent residing in a different time or place whose own moral sense and logic had been molded and informed by a completely alien formative experience than your own.

Of course our moral sense is situated within a given context, community, circumstance, past experiences, etc. Real One appeals to a very explicit authority, while FD relies on a more inherent, though perhaps not less restricitve, form of authority. However, that's not the question. I wonder whether it's possible to compare two moral agents as far as their morality is concerned and independent of the formative forces around. To perform this challenging task we need a more or less 'objective' referential framework by means of which we can determine someone's degree of morality. I agree with FD that the only way we can do this is by taking into account our species' moral sense endowed by social evolution.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

derek

real one of course has no morals at all. All he has is obedience, the opposite of morality. Someone who obeys rules simply because they come from an authority figure can make no pretense at being a moral person.

This is the difference between the JWs and Christians.

You're half way home my friend. I agree, that's what grace is about! The law kills (just makes us guilty)

Obedience just to survive Armageddon is not morality. If someone loves God and his neighbor more than himself there is no law left for him to break.

You can be selfish and do no harm. Would you call selfishness moral in your world? How about love? Simply doing no harm, falls far short of love.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    This is the difference between the JWs and Christians.

Most so-called 'christians' (does this cover term really exist or does it simply mean 'I am a born-again and neither JW's nor catholics will gain everlasting life') tend to blow up the small differences between JWs and 'christians' while at the same time trivializing the many similarities.

If someone loves God and his neighbor more than himself there is no law left for him to break.

This is not necessarily true, it depends on your definition of the principle 'love God'.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Agreed. Or at least assumed, in the absence of a statement by real one to the contrary.....Being a moral person requires making decisions about matters of morality. real one does not do this. At most he has made one decision, to always obey a particular source.

Is it just me, or does that sound a bit contradictory? In the first you agree to assume that real one is using an external authority to guide his moral decisionmaking, and in the second you say that he has made one choice at most, to obey a particular source (Scripture). No one is that black/white, even if they try to be.

I'm quite aware of that. This is ultimately the case for everybody. Being aware of this reality allows us to make more informed, better decisions.

Well, I think I can agree with that. Taking into account another person's circumstance in evaluating his/her moral decision is important, not that we should necessarily be judging others anyway.

Well, how do we decide? If the solution is to check the correct answer in a book, then how do we decide which book (or which interpretation where several exist) contains the correct answers? (Appeal to any authority has the same problems.) It seems we're back where we started (or at least where I started.) We need to use our admittedly limited brains to come to the best solution we can find.

I am not too familiar with jurisprudence in your part of the world, but here in the US the Supreme Court is the final judge as to what are "correct answers" regarding legal right and wrong using the Constitution as the "book" "containing the correct answers". It is the ultimate authority that is appealed to in matters of jurisprudence here in my country. On the whole, the system has worked pretty well. However, in applying this authority legal opinion, precedent, tradition, and other factors requiring a heavy dose of reasoning and scholarship are required. Also, the understanding of the meaning of the text requires adaptation to apply to changing times. What I am trying to demonstrate here is pretty obvious, I hope.

Using reason will - as it always does - produce better results than a simple appeal to an arbitrary authority.

Ah, I think here we get to the heart of it. Reason and appeal to authority need not be mutually exclusive, real one notwithstanding. Both can work together in harmony, and have for a very long time.

A universe in which there was a creator who had an interest in human affairs and whose wishes and intentions were known would be very different from the one in which we live....So living in a universe so different from ours would inevitably alter my perspective on the matter.

How can you possibly be certain? You think this would be so, but you cannot know for sure. How do you know this isn't the best possible universe?

It could, for example, be the sadistic god of the Catholics, and while I might modify my behaviour to avoid spending eternity in hellfire, one's behaviour under threat of torture is not necessarily a good indication of true morality.

I think you say this because you do not understand the Catholic understanding on how God judges, how souls go to hell, and you misunderstand what hell itself is. This is not all your own fault, your understanding has obviously been informed by your JW past. The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, and that is its torment. It is in God whom we can possess the life and happiness for which we were created. We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. To die without accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him forever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God hell. This is the official Catholic teaching and belief on the matter.

I like to think I would do what I believe to be right regardless of the consequences.

We would all think that, don't we?

Cheers,

Burn (but not in hell)

• real one
    real one

I say lets talk about Jesus!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ham

Most so-called 'christians' (does this cover term really exist or does it simply mean 'I am a born-again and neither JW's nor catholics will gain everlasting life') tend to blow up the small differences between JWs and 'christians' while at the same time trivializing the many similarities.

If you believe the differences between love and obedience are small, then maybe you have a point.

If someone loves God and his neighbor more than himself there is no law left for him to break.

This is not necessarily true, it depends on your definition of the principle 'love God'.

I couldn't agree more!

1Co 13:2

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. 4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    1Co 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

I asked for a definition of the principle 'love God', not for a broad definition of 'love your neighbor' in general. For most people 'love God' means living up to his commandments, no matter whether they testify to this definition of love or not. So the question is, how far goes your 'love god' when 'love your neighbor' is in danger, for instance, when excluding some groups from salvation.

If you believe the differences between love and obedience are small, then maybe you have a point.

So you don't obey God?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ham

For most people 'love God' means living up to his commandments, no matter whether they testify to this definition of love or not.

Again we agree! I'm not "most people"

So the question is, how far goes your 'love god' when 'love your neighbor' is in danger, for instance, when excluding some groups from salvation.

I believe that it's up to God to do the "excluding". The only reason for me to consern my self about that, is when I'm sharing my faith. I don't hate someone that disagrees with me.

So you don't obey God?

I've proven I can't, I would much rather love and honor Him.

• real one
    real one

provrebs 17: 12 A bear robbed of her cubs is far less dangerous than a stubborn fool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit